What's in the news today... (NO COVID / POLITICS)

Donalex

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1995 Nissan 300ZX
I'll be in southern England over Christmas. I found out there's a Porsche Driving Experience at Silverstone Raceway.

So, I asked my future son-in-law if he wanted to join me. He's an acoustical engineer over there.

He said, "No, thanks".

Silly youngsters, missing out on life.

Houston.RZ34

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
15 Q50 S (3.7) 23 Stingray HTC
Occupation
CIO
Before social media and connected, online games, the only way to get quality time doing what you liked, with your friends, was to meet up in person.
Riding bicycles, skateboards, going to the mall, even playing SNES at someone's house meant getting up and out.
Now they prefer to just logon.

I teach my son that he needs a car, at least to keep his employment options open.
He says "fine, but I think I just want a Prius"
Whatever. I insist that he owns and pays for his own car, it's all about taking on a responsibility. If, when he gets older and established, and wants to go live carless in a big city, that's cool.

I see way to many adult children just chilling at home with no ambition. It's because there's no expectations and responsibilities for them. I don't even want to hear the excuses about modern life being difficult to start off.
This, all of this.

She wants to stay home, talk to friends online......she has no idea

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
Yep, driving enthusiasm is dwindling. Who can blame em though?? I remember getting your license as something to look forward to, and I'm not even that old! Now these whipper snappers get their license whenever it's convenient. I'm sure geography plays a factor, too. If you live in a city it really isn't necessary. Heck, if you live IN the city it's probably a burden owning a vehicle.
In Australia kids still on the most part rush to get their license ….mostly because public transport is crap and they want to get away from us parents.
My oldest bought his graddads car and has steadily added bits and pieces. My youngest has his L plates and should have a full licence by July. He bought a second hand Hyundai ….doesn’t care what it looks like or how fast it goes, just that it does go. He’d rather spend his money on shoes
Thus the reason why I’m driving a crappy car around after selling mine too early in anticipation

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Dont ask
Occupation
Thread derailer
I had 4 cars before I was 16.... all just to fix and flip so that when I turned 16, I could afford a sweet car to drive. When I was 12ish, I would always ask to pull the cars in from the street to the driveway and always accidently took them around the block instead. I learned how to drive manual trans at 10, was a decent welder by 12, built my first engine at 14. Ya, my kid better follow in my steps or I am going to disown him! Kids these days are something else.

therumblewagon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CX-5, Elantra N
I'll be in southern England over Christmas. I found out there's a Porsche Driving Experience at Silverstone Raceway.

So, I asked my future son-in-law if he wanted to join me. He's an acoustical engineer over there.

He said, "No, thanks".

Silly youngsters, missing out on life.
You need someone to carry your bags, lemme know. Silverstone is high on the list of tracks I want to drive, and in a Porsche to boot?!