What the upcoming NISMO really needs...

DrivingEnthusiast

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Focus RS, S2000, Infiniti Q50S Red Sport 400
Occupation
computer geek
And that's not a sole focus on power, as readers here would seemingly have it. There is far more to the Nismo brand and heritage than just that.
Look at the current 370Z Nismo for an indication of the updates that will be made. The Nismo updates were essentially the only engineering updates that were made to the 370Z for it's entire lifespan. The rest of the 370Z was all but carryover (sure, a different bumper, updates to the nav, and minor work).
Sure, we'll see bigger tires, wider forged wheels (but we don't need 20s) and the same cleaver structural bracing and the excellent Recaros.
But more is needed.
The current car has some weaknesses so a new Nismo should focus on these:
- front bearings are very weak - racers are going thru them constantly
- Akebono calipers are excellent for the base performance-spec Z... but don't meet competitive performance expectations. They are obsolete. We know we have them again on the Z, but better performance is needed for the Nismo. Spell that "BREMBO". I'd also expect to see provisions made for cooling... air ducts should be added. Not tubing, because that is not durable, but ducts routing air in and also deflectors on the control arms.
- power steering pump cooling - if the system is hydraulic again (and god help us if Nissan uses the Direct Adaptive Steering system in the Z - it's a POS) then some attention is needed for cooling as this is a major issue that you find out immediately. But certainly the base Q60s electric system will be used instead of the DAS or hydraulics.
- enhanced engine cooling, transmission cooler, rear diff cooler. All very weak areas in the current car. Some manufacturers have standards here, purposefully designing cooling systems around a 25-minute track session. Look at a Camaro SS or a GT350 (with track pack) and you'll find all three of these. Remember that it's not just about surviving the session, it's about the degradation of the fluids - and warranty. Nismo buyers should be able to track their cars without issues, and buyers should be able to drive their cars to the track and home again without worries or degradations.
- differential - it's already been said, and Nissan already sells a better diff. I've had student's cars noticeably degrade as the diff has heated up in a session. If this isn't' happening to you.. .you are either on a small track, a frozen track, or you aren't driving to potential.
- driving modes: instead of essentially none, modes for various driving conditions including track. I these should vary engine response and anti-lock parameters.

Just some thoughts.... and if I had to say my one wish it'd be magnetorheological shocks. It'd add another $1500 or so, but is well worth the cost. These miracle shocks are the last shocks you'd ever want... if properly tuned by Nissan (and integrated into driving modes) There is an entire OEM program by their manufacturer that has already put these into several manufacturers cars, from Ferrari to Ford. It's as easy as working with Brembo's OEM team, which Nissan is already doing. I've met people from both of these manufacturers and they are very impressive.

This new Z will have a lifespan of around 8 or 9 years or so, until replaced by an electric platform. I think that the main engineering efforts that will go into it will be the Nismo again, and like the last Nismo they will be add-ons and not changes to the basic platform. I doubt very much if there will ever be money for more than that. Tuning to the existing engine, bolt-on engineering like what I've described above, and probably not much more given Nissan's need to more forward in other more important areas.

Last edited:

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
Yep, all very good points, lots of weaknesses on the Z34. The next Nismo Z needs to be more track focused, not just body kit and appearance stuff. The aftermarket can take care of that. I track with a friend in a ZL1 1LE, that setup is tuned for the track, coolers, brakes, etc. Dynamic adjustable dampers would be a great option worth paying for, since it will be under warranty.

With all this, not sure if I can wait not seeing what the Nismo will deliver.

SS727Z

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SS
I wonder if the nismo will employ any of the technology from that scrapped Infiniti project black? Would be nuts with a KERS type system.

I agree that it’s probably not about the power and it will be a track focused model.