What Nissan Needs To Address on the Z35

SPOHN

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
350,G35,G37,370
Occupation
Lineman
What are your concerns for the next Z? Besides the motor. I think we’re sure about that platform.

From my 370Z track days or just plain spirited driving I hope Nissan addresses the fuel starvation issue. If you don’t know already when the car got down to half a tank and you took a hard long right hander you’d get no fuel pick up and the car would stall and would take a minute or two to get it back running. All due to the location of the fuel pump and the size of the swirl pot. This just shouldn’t happen. Luckily CJ Motorsports came up with a very nice solution ($1,200) for this but it shouldn’t of been an issue. I think Z1 Motorsports has a lot simpler fix and cheaper that was a great fix. Hope they work that out. I know the VR30DDTT has direct fuel injection with a low and high fuel pump setup but I’m not sure of the whole setup and revisions if any in the tank.

I also hope the brake issues/ ABS module is addressed also known as ice mode. A lot of track guys would experience a lack of brake from front to rear under hard braking as if the ABS / programming would struggle with brake bias and freak out the system and some reported you’d only get roughly about 20% of brake and you would have to quickly reapply the pedal one to several times to get the brakes to work probably. I only had it happen one time while others was all the time. I along with other guys had quickly already upgraded to a AP BBK with less aggressive pads in the rear and it never happened again. But not all we’re lucky. With the new Z going to have more power it seems, I just don’t know if the current Akebono brakes themselves regardless of the older ABS system is up to par. Like to see a better Akebono six piston setup.

OP
OP
SPOHN

SPOHN

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
350,G35,G37,370
Occupation
Lineman
I agree with you there. I don’t need over the top but some improvements that make it look nice and not as cheap as before. I definitely hope they put a infotainment system similar to the GTR. That would be nice. Even though I do love the analog gauges atop of the dash too. But that’s only three. Better to do several and be able to configure them as you like. I’m sure the car is going up in price so no reason not to include these features. Nissan got this I believe this time around.

ec15

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A few
Saw this thread and signed up.

3 words or letters that has worried z33 and z34 owners over the years.
Concentric slave cylinder/CSC.
If Nissan uses that setup again, hopefully they source a better one or replace it with an external clutch slave cylinder with fork setup.

orclean1

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
civic
yep complete removal but compared to a Lotus Evora or the upcoming Emira that's not bad , Lotus tranny: requires removal of rear clam shell ( 6hrs labor) thern split the eng/tranny ( 12 hrs) = 18 hrs OMG

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
yep complete removal but compared to a Lotus Evora or the upcoming Emira that's not bad , Lotus tranny: requires removal of rear clam shell ( 6hrs labor) thern split the eng/tranny ( 12 hrs) = 18 hrs OMG
stop trying to talk me out of a lotus...

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
What are your concerns for the next Z? Besides the motor. I think we’re sure about that platform.

From my 370Z track days or just plain spirited driving I hope Nissan addresses the fuel starvation issue. If you don’t know already when the car got down to half a tank and you took a hard long right hander you’d get no fuel pick up and the car would stall and would take a minute or two to get it back running. All due to the location of the fuel pump and the size of the swirl pot. This just shouldn’t happen. Luckily CJ Motorsports came up with a very nice solution ($1,200) for this but it shouldn’t of been an issue. I think Z1 Motorsports has a lot simpler fix and cheaper that was a great fix. Hope they work that out. I know the VR30DDTT has direct fuel injection with a low and high fuel pump setup but I’m not sure of the whole setup and revisions if any in the tank.

I also hope the brake issues/ ABS module is addressed also known as ice mode. A lot of track guys would experience a lack of brake from front to rear under hard braking as if the ABS / programming would struggle with brake bias and freak out the system and some reported you’d only get roughly about 20% of brake and you would have to quickly reapply the pedal one to several times to get the brakes to work probably. I only had it happen one time while others was all the time. I along with other guys had quickly already upgraded to a AP BBK with less aggressive pads in the rear and it never happened again. But not all we’re lucky. With the new Z going to have more power it seems, I just don’t know if the current Akebono brakes themselves regardless of the older ABS system is up to par. Like to see a better Akebono six piston setup.
Valid issues (plus CSC) I'm hoping and betting Nissan addressed right away. I'll sure find out when I wring it out on tracks here, we have plenty with some elevations and on- and off-camber turns.

Haven't seen ANY recent mule track testing anywhere besides the 370Z-bodied way back in 2020, kind of strange.

johnny_10196

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ford
Valid issues (plus CSC) I'm hoping and betting Nissan addressed right away. I'll sure find out when I wring it out on tracks here, we have plenty with some elevations and on- and off-camber turns.

Haven't seen ANY recent mule track testing anywhere besides the 370Z-bodied way back in 2020, kind of strange.
Does anyone know if Nissan owns a private track like Toyota? If yes maybe that's why we haven't seen much track testing.

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
Does anyone know if Nissan owns a private track like Toyota? If yes maybe that's why we haven't seen much track testing.
not sure if they have a track, but i remember smokey and his crew and some other teams going to some track to set records in the gtr.
anyone remember watching those videos? anyone else remember that track? they did that for a few years.

fliplover

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2012 Impala LTZ; '21 Nissan Rogue
Occupation
Engineer

2JZ-No-Sh*t

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
I guess this thread was made before the proto debut? I never owned a 370Z so I can't speak on the mechanics, but from a visual aspect Nissan hit a homerun. I just love the nice clean lines of the exterior. While the interior does have a lot of carried over components I feel the design team did just enough to make it feel modern and fresh.