Toyota GR Corolla

DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
What isn't clear yet is how much of the GR Yaris goodness translates over to the Corolla version. The former is an almost totally bespoke, semi-homologation special: the latter will just be a modified Corolla hatchback with the GR engine from the Yaris.

Then there's that nasty front end.

Finally, there's a potentially big reliability issue with a 1.6l engine pushing out the best part of 300 hp. I have not been reading good things about the reliability of these new tiny turbocharged engines being deployed lately, even when they have much lower power levels.

Last edited:

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
What isn't clear yet is how much of the GR Yaris goodness translates over to the Corolla version. The former is an almost totally bespoke, semi-homologation special: the latter will just be a modified Corolla hatchback with the GR engine from the Yaris.

Then there's that nasty front end.
My wife has a 2020 Corolla hatchback. I think it looks amazingly good. Hers is "flame blue".
Although it's just a lowly Corolla, the chassis has a very spunky feel to it. When I drive it, it reminds me of my Mk7 GTI.... except underpowered.

The idea of that car with turbo and AWD is very compelling.

My Q60 is a heavy turd in comparison. At least it's quick in a straight line.

maxdriver

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Tundra
Yes we don't know how much of the Yaris goodies make it to the Corolla. We will soon find out.

Toyota has a long-time reputation for over-building their vehicles however and I suspect the new GR will be reliable.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
You think it’s gonna be that good?
Better than the Z? In most circumstances, no.

I had a Mk7 GTI, that's my baseline for "good". If the GR-Four is at least as good as my Mk7 GTI, I'm in. I loved the GTI, but I was constantly taking it in for warranty work. I had to suffer through driving previous generation Passat and Jetta loaner cars.

Where I live, AWD is king, rwd is good enough, and fwd sucks. We get a solid 6 months of no traction here.

I think the GR-Four deserves consideration alongside the new Z. It's a different approach, but just like the Z it really is a unique car that will be very special, and highly sought after long after it's discontinued.

DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
I agree that the Corolla GR should hold its value very well over time if it proves to be as good as the Yaris variant. But depreciation over time could still be substantial if initial demand is high enough that dealers are getting 20+% ADMs. And I suspect that demand is going to be very strong if the car reviews well - people will overlook that catfish maw. The FK8 CTR was no beauty and look at the ADMs it carried to the bitter end of its life cycle.

therumblewagon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CX-5, Elantra N
https://www.hotcars.com/everything-weve-heard-about-the-gr-corolla/

Nothing really groundbreaking, but interesting to see the speculation at the bottom -

1 It Will Most Likely Mean The Death Of Another GR In The Family

"
While Toyota is a massive company (worth $304 billion) Gazoo Racing is relatively new and unproven. It is very rare for a decades-old corporation like Toyota to dive headfirst into something that isn’t necessarily part of their overall plan. Toyota plans to outsell the competition in electric cars, selling 3.5 million carbon-neutral vehicles by 2030. bringing in gas guzzlers like the GR trims into the mix is more of a distraction and expense, a short-term move in the scope of things. In fact, Toyota just unveiled more than 20 vehicles at a time that it plans to electrify and sell to reach this goal by 2030.

One of the existing GR trims will most likely have to be put down in order for Corolla to have its spot. The Corolla is still the best-selling car in the entire world, so even a small percentage of them getting the GR treatment is going to be a massive undertaking. It’s entirely possible that to preserve the commodity of the GR badge on the race cars they will nix one of the pre-existing ones, or at least disallow it in the United States in exchange for the capacity to make the GR Corolla in the stateside factory. If we had a choice… We'd tell Toyota to take the GR Supra out of here! It's just not living up to the hype, and we would almost certainly own the GR 86 or Yaris if we could find one!"

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
another teaser...

Sadly, Kirk is predicting limited quantities, which seems plausible.
My wife has a 2020 Corolla HB, when she heard there will be an AWD Corolla HB she said she wanted one. When I told her it is manual only, she's thinking it's time to learn to drive stick! (not gonna happen).
I'd love to have the GR-4 and a new Z.....
I bet Nissan builds way more Zs than Toyota does GR-4's....

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
the gr yaris still looks waaay better...
Not an option in the USA.
IMO there's not a better looking hatch currently for sale in the USA.
The current Corolla HB has sporty looks let down by the current drivetrain. This will fix that.

Mazda 3 HB looks like a clown shoe, and the new Civic HB looks like a recycled Accord Crosstour.