Proto Z

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi SQ7
I have been building this up slowly, and testing a lot inbetween modifications, but I'm happy to say that I think I've finished with my 'Stage 1' mods.

I had no pre-planned order to approach this, but just wanted to change one thing at a time that I felt the car needed. In order, this was:

* Coilovers with 1" drop, by MCA Suspension (MCA Reds)
* Custom 3.5" catback exhaust, with Varex valve, by Rob Bliss Exhausts
* Z1 carbon intakes by Z1 Motorsport
* Custom 2" downpipes with 200 cell cats and 2x hotdog resonators by Rob Bliss Exhausts
* Varex Smartbox valve controller
* Tune by ECUTek and AK Racing

The team at AK Racing did a baseline dyno when the car was effectively stock - before I even did the catback exhaust. Then we basically dyno'd it after adding each of the above, again just to baseline without tune.
All of the below are measured at the wheels, and on Australian 98 octane pump fuel (equivalent to US 93 I think?)

The original baseline numbers were 275kw/458nm.
The final number for this 'stage 1' were: 320kw/561nm (429.7hp / 414.3ftlb)

Attached a clean dyno for reference, but I also have a chart that compares the runs at 3 different stages. I'll get this up tomorrow.
429 HP Dyno.jpg

I've also thrown up a couple of videos in case anyone is interested. I absolutely love the way this exhaust sounds. Threw on a crackle tune for fun too :)

One thing we noticed is that the first pull was always the best. consistently lost 3-5kw per run. Definitely an issue with heat soak. I've started working with local fabricators to make up intercoolers, heat exchanger, oil cooler and radiator. I'll get these done, dyno again, then swap to E85 to round out my 'stage 2' in the next few months.

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
Good, step-wise approach and good numbers. Have a chart of the stock curve to compare, torque profile? What is your goal for the Z, street, autox, road course, drags?

OP
OP
Proto Z

Proto Z

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi SQ7
Good, step-wise approach and good numbers. Have a chart of the stock curve to compare, torque profile? What is your goal for the Z, street, autox, road course, drags?
Hey mate, dyno plots below.
The one that has three (for comparison) shows:
1. Stock
2. Intake/dp/exhaust, no tune
3. All tuned.

I would like 500whp. That is the only number I'm chasing.
Can easy get more from this platform, but I'm just wanting to build something drivable.
I will track it occasionally just for fun (I'm a shit driver) but really just want a jap muscle car. Not traditional JDM, but just something that looks a bit tough and has the performance to back it up.

I'm also keen to experiment and use as many local techs/fabricators as possible.

PXL_20230923_022701450.MP.jpg

PXL_20230923_022750812.MP.jpg

Monza

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
bit of this, bit of that
45kw and 100nm is no slouch mate. Proof is in that curve though. Well done. How's the butt dyno?

OP
OP
Proto Z

Proto Z

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi SQ7
45kw and 100nm is no slouch mate. Proof is in that curve though. Well done. How's the butt dyno?
Thanks mate, I was happy with this- especially since it was still a relatively safe/conservative tune.

The real story is that curve, as you say.
Driving the car it doesn't feel noticeably more powerful, but man it's smooth now.
Power available at every point in the rev range, and if you roll on from a standing start it feels incredibly more linear now. That word "linear" may not be the adjective some people were hoping to hear, but it's amazing how confidence inspiring the predictability of the power delivery can be.
For me, personally, I'm ok with a shit ton more power, but it can't come at the cost of drivability. The way it provides power now is very encouraging, but you always feel very much in control of that power. Honestly couldn't say the same with the stock setup/tune.

NOTE: I've also done suspension, sway bars and bushings, all of which add to the more compliant road feel. I have not done tyres yet, but changing out rubber and also brake pads and braided lines are all on the way!

Reactions: Mud

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra
Occupation
Engineer
The gains are good and all but what are you doing to harness the power?

I saw a guy running triple 5 r2’s and was still breaking loose on 2nd to 3rd gear shifts.

-RJM

OP
OP
Proto Z

Proto Z

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi SQ7
The gains are good and all but what are you doing to harness the power?

I saw a guy running triple 5 r2’s and was still breaking loose on 2nd to 3rd gear shifts.

-RJM
I actually found the power delivery to be MUCH more linear than the stock tune. I only did about ~250km since the tune, but even at full noise it's perfectly manageable. If I was tracking, and grip was essential, I would certainly look for R spec tyres.

I was speaking with some local companies about upgraded brakes and also custom carbon/allow hybrid wheels that would mean I could run a custom profile, but it was ultimately just too expensive for the benefits (well, just IMHO - I'm no race driver).

Working on Stage 2/3 at the moment. E85, cooling and upgrade turbos on the way. If I need to address grip, I'll do it after that.