But Does It Djent?

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1998 BMW Z3
Out of curiosity how hard do you think the car would have to be pushed in order to get the loss of traction and wheel spin you mentioned? Would moderately hard spirited driving still feel safe with the open diff in your opinion? Wish I could find one to drive and get a feel for it myself lol

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
Out of curiosity how hard do you think the car would have to be pushed in order to get the loss of traction and wheel spin you mentioned? Would moderately hard spirited driving still feel safe with the open diff in your opinion? Wish I could find one to drive and get a feel for it myself lol
"Safe"? Open diffs are "safer" for the vast majority of drivers.

It just sucks when they one-wheel-peel, but that's not unsafe.

You'll rarely see drifters using open diffs, they resist sliding around

OP
OP
Valaroth

Valaroth

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 MAZDA Mazda3 Turbo PP Hatchback
Occupation
Film/TV/Game/Trailer Composer
Good subjective review, thanks! Sure looks like a good road car with more than enough power, if that's all it can deliver in Sport trim, nothing more worth mentioning for the interior and audio. Definitely not quality on par expected in a $40K+ car, but hey it's a Nissan 'Z'. I'm not sold yet.
Iā€™m with you. I honestly think Iā€™ll probably own one of these, this generation. I imagine a few of these gripes will be addressed in the 2024MY and beyond. Itā€™s just too cool of a car. I did not expect to love looking at it or driving it as much as I did.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Valaroth

Valaroth

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
I mean, I donā€™t think it was ever a surprise. Itā€™s surprising how much speed you pick up, but not how it delivers the power. I purposefully kicked the backend out with gas and steering alone. 85%-Full throttle will chirp the tires / spin them. I imagine an amazing set of tires would make a massive difference in every performance category more than the LSD will, but a midrange trim level that comes with the LSD would definitely be a welcome one.

To answer your question though, I felt very confident driving with spirit. Adrenaline is on-tap any time you want it.

I did not push it in the rain at all, however. Haha

OP
OP
Valaroth

Valaroth

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Really? Theyā€™re like luxury vehicles these days. Pretty darn nice inside and way better exterior aesthetics than most of the other manufacturers.
I completely agree. I bought mine because itā€™s the most balanced vehicle in terms of priorities Iā€™ve ever driven. Anything thatā€™s better than it is either way more expensive, or has to make sacrifices in one department or another. šŸ˜

ceric

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'16 Mazda6
I completely agree. I bought mine because itā€™s the most balanced vehicle in terms of priorities Iā€™ve ever driven. Anything thatā€™s better than it is either way more expensive, or has to make sacrifices in one department or another. šŸ˜
I got four Mazdas in my house. I voted with my hard-earned dollar.
Tried to buy myself a Nissan since .... still waiting.

OP
OP
Valaroth

Valaroth

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
I got four Mazdas in my house. I voted with my hard-earned dollar.
Tried to buy myself a Nissan since .... still waiting.
Which four? Haha
Iā€™m just so happy that my Mazda has enough of literally everything to put most things to shame. Aesthetics, design, technology, performance, practicality, comfort, safety, reliability, value.

Iā€™ve been a Nissan fan since I was a kid ā€” because they represented affordable sportiness to me. The Zā€™s punched up, the GT-R dominated everything when it came outā€¦ I hope they can recapture some of that magic and get the formula just right with the next model year of the Z, and the next gen GT-R.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
Really? Theyā€™re like luxury vehicles these days. Pretty darn nice inside and way better exterior aesthetics than most of the other manufacturers.
The turbo 2.5 is a huge letdown. 310tq and only average acceleration....

I'm spoiled by my previous mk7 GTI.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
I tried to like the new Mazdas, I checked if they can be tuned, what I saw is they're resistant to tuning, and AT only for the 2.5T.

If nice were my main concern, I'd be more inclined to get a Civic hatchback

2017370ZBlack

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 370Z 6MT & 2015 Xterra Pro-4X
Upgrading the stereo in the 370 base was easy. I have a Kenwood eXcelon head unit with Android Auto, front and rear cameras that can be turned on at any time (so I don't bang the carbon fiber lip in a parking lot), Morel 2-channel amp, and Focal speakers in the doors and tweeters in the dash. No need for a sub and amazingly good soundstage. The amp and crossovers are under the flat portion behind the seats. Upgrading the Z would be similar. I don't mind that Nissan kept things like the window up/down switches on the door the same. I just ordered a set of the new door scuff protectors they are offering for the Z for my 370, LOL. Should be here in the next day or two.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
Upgrading the stereo in the 370 base was easy. I have a Kenwood eXcelon head unit with Android Auto, front and rear cameras that can be turned on at any time (so I don't bang the carbon fiber lip in a parking lot), Morel 2-channel amp, and Focal speakers in the doors and tweeters in the dash. No need for a sub and amazingly good soundstage. The amp and crossovers are under the flat portion behind the seats. Upgrading the Z would be similar.
The 370 utilized standard DIN mounting if it doesn't have navigation.

The new Z will be like my Q60, integrated head unit without many options to upgrade. Buy the one you want....

I am not certain that the aftermarket will provide options if Nissan doesn't make enough Z's for it to be worthwhile.

Fortunately, since the audio out from the stock infotainment in my Q is clean, there's no need to replace it.
However, most manufacturers have weird signal processing or fiber optic in their infotainment systems meaning you need expensive adapters and post processing to clean up the signal

OP
OP
Valaroth

Valaroth

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
The turbo 2.5 is a huge letdown. 310tq and only average acceleration....

I'm spoiled by my previous mk7 GTI.
I tried to like the new Mazdas, I checked if they can be tuned, what I saw is they're resistant to tuning, and AT only for the 2.5T.

If nice were my main concern, I'd be more inclined to get a Civic hatchback
Fair criticisms ā€” and to each their own! Balance was my main concern. With 93 octane, the 2.5T is deceptively quick ā€”250hp and 320tq. Stock for stock it outperforms most things in its price range, and Iā€™ve seen the tuned 3 hit 60 in 4.9 seconds.

I recognize Iā€™m defending my own purchase (lol) 320tq* stock is class-leading (on premium gas). 6 speed AT is what it is, not bad/not great ā€” same for torsion beam rear suspension. But all is reliable as all get out. And Iā€™ve been in the new Civic. Still prefer the cabin and tech and all in the Mazdas. Not sure thereā€™s a better looking interior/exterior design out there in the range.

The new Z stomps everything weā€™re talking about, performance-wise. I just wish it didnā€™t sacrifice anything other than cargo space and number of seats. Haha

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
Fair criticisms ā€” and to each their own! Balance was my main concern. With 93 octane, the 2.5T is deceptively quick ā€”250hp and 320tq. Stock for stock it outperforms most things in its price range, and Iā€™ve seen the tuned 3 hit 60 in 4.9 seconds.

I recognize Iā€™m defending my own purchase (lol) 320tq* stock is class-leading (on premium gas). 6 speed AT is what it is, not bad/not great ā€” same for torsion beam rear suspension. But all is reliable as all get out. And Iā€™ve been in the new Civic. Still prefer the cabin and tech and all in the Mazdas. Not sure thereā€™s a better looking interior/exterior design out there in the range.

The new Z stomps everything weā€™re talking about, performance-wise. I just wish it didnā€™t sacrifice anything other than cargo space and number of seats. Haha
Ok, share the tuning info with me! When I researched earlier this year, I hit a wall. I couldn't find anything like what can be done with Honda, Nissan, VW and up until recently, BMWs. Those cars (when turbo version) have been enjoying very cost effective, significant upgrades.....

OP
OP
Valaroth

Valaroth

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Ok, share the tuning info with me! When I researched earlier this year, I hit a wall. I couldn't find anything like what can be done with Honda, Nissan, VW and up until recently, BMWs. Those cars (when turbo version) have been enjoying very cost effective, significant upgrades.....

He lists the mods in the description ā€” Iā€™m planning to do the BMS cold air intake and JB4 next year, along with some new tires.