So Long Z - it was Fun(ish)

Who.Am.Eye.2716

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Z
Congrats on getting the 240i. I am planning to test drive a Supra for comparison feature only. I like the Z for its open space concept in case I need to do a Dukes of Hazzard style climbing out the window 😜

In my '24 Manual Sport, my parking sensor goes off coming to a stop. I thought it was due to me being in neutral, but doing it in an auto makes me think the sensors are glitchy. What did the dealer say about it? I plan to go in and talk to them about it with only having 700 miles. This is not what I wanted to do.

OP
OP
mtjohnson

mtjohnson

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 BMW M240i, 2019 Alfa Romeo Giulia
we
Congrats on getting the 240i. I am planning to test drive a Supra for comparison feature only. I like the Z for its open space concept in case I need to do a Dukes of Hazzard style climbing out the window 😜

In my '24 Manual Sport, my parking sensor goes off coming to a stop. I thought it was due to me being in neutral, but doing it in an auto makes me think the sensors are glitchy. What did the dealer say about it? I plan to go in and talk to them about it with only having 700 miles. This is not what I wanted to do.
No doubt the Z is a more comfortable car to sit in and look out of than the claustrophobic Supra..the back window, high door trim, and curved/slopped side roof line make it feel so tight compared to the Z. Dukes of Hazard or not! 😁
Unfortunately I did not have much luck with Nissan on my issues. I took it to the dealer twice just to be told “there is no service bulletin” for your issues and it doesn’t appear to be widespread….which I told them was funny considering how few of these cars have been sold and how many others are reporting the same issues (lurching forward, parking sensors going off at random, trunk not unlatching)…..none of it was addressed. It was treated like I should just “live with it” and it was acceptable…..😒
The final “weird glitch” for me was when about once every two weeks - the fake engine noise (that you can’t turn off) that comes through the audio system would cause Apple CarPlay to distort and sound like the speakers were blown. Restarting the car - usually - fixed that.

Maybe I just got one too early before the kinks were worked out? 🤔

LZ23

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
350z
Auto. That’s where the issues with the transmission came into play. I would have loved a manual, but it just wasn’t a practical choice for my daily
Have not read any complaints about the auto surging in any reviews of the 24 model.I thought I read there was a way to turn off the fake engine noise.

OP
OP
mtjohnson

mtjohnson

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Have not read any complaints about the auto surging in any reviews of the 24 model.I thought I read there was a way to turn off the fake engine noise.
That’s good news on the 2024. Haven’t heard of the issue on the Nismo either. Perhaps it is just early models.

There is a way to turn that off / but it is not straightforward or available through the settings or even unlocking the service menu.

LZ23

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
350z
That’s good news on the 2024. Haven’t heard of the issue on the Nismo either. Perhaps it is just early models.

There is a way to turn that off / but it is not straightforward or available through the settings or even unlocking the service menu.
It can be done by a Nissan service centre

OP
OP
mtjohnson

mtjohnson

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
It can be done by a Nissan service centre
Correct. Not exactly ideal. I would think they would make it easy to turn on or off….

71zman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
71 240z, 90 300zx, 23 ZProtoMT, 24 Z Nismo
@mtjohnson Congrats on your decision to move on from the Z. Everyone has a different opinion on cars and you are certainly entitled to yours but for the me having owned/own many cars now and in the past I am settled with my 4 z cars. 71 240z restomod, 90 300zx 2+2 AT 23 Z Proto 6mt, 24 Nismo AT. The Z certainly has some shortcomings but …I have owned 3 variations of BMW’s, 2 Audi’s SQ5 (still in the stable) and an amazing S6, also a 22 Z51 C8 that I sold. The BMW’s were fantastic drivers cars but were the worst maintenance problems of all my cars combined. I hope you don’t experience what I did. My 09 M5 had over 30k in warranty repairs before I hit 24k miles ,
My wife’s x3m creaked and rattled from the get go. And I don’t want to discuss the 7 series(piece of crap) …never again will I own a BMW for those reasons. I hope you bought the longest extended warranty known to man.😳Audi on the other hand has been fantastic! The C8 was the best car I’ve ever owned. Just grew weary of the constant mopar freaks up my (you know what) . Yes it makes a difference having options but the Z cars have more character then all the rest combined (downright sexy styling) and I enjoy driving them all. Next up Midnight Purple GTR:)

Last edited:
OP
OP
mtjohnson

mtjohnson

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
@mtjohnson Congrats on your decision to move on from the Z. Everyone has a different option on cars and you are certainly entitled to yours but for the me having owned/own many cars now and in the past I am settled with my 4 z cars. 71 240z restomod, 90 300zx 2+2 AT 23 Z Proto 6mt, 24 Nismo AT. The Z certainly has some shortcomings but …I have owned 3 variations of BMW’s, 2 Audi’s SQ5 (still in the stable) and an amazing S6, also a 22 Z51 C8 that I sold. The BMW’s were fantastic drivers cars but were the worst maintenance problems of all my cars combined. I hope you didn’t experience what I did. My 09 M5 has over 30k in warranty repairs before I hit 24k miles ,
My wife’s x3m creaked and rattled from the get go. And I don’t want to discuss the 7 series(piece of crap) …never again will I own a BMW for those reasons. I hope you bought the longest extended warranty known to man.😳Audi on the other hand has been fantastic! The C8 was the best car I’ve ever owned. Just grew weary of the constant mopar freaks up my (you know what) . Yes it makes a difference having options but the Z cars have more character then all the rest combined (downright sexy styling) and I enjoy driving them all. Next up Midnight Purple GTR:)
exactly right! That’s the reason there are so many options! I admit a restomod Z is on my short list after our detached is completed. I absolutely love those!! Also seems as though everyone pretty much loves the Nismo…I haven’t driven one personally but have heard nothing but praise.
I’ve heard hits and misses with relation to reliability on BMW depending on the years. I guess you could say that about any brand maybe sans Toyota….name just about any car and I can find someone that says it’s the most reliable thing ever, or the worst thing ever. I heard nothing but horror stories about the Alfa Giulia and my 2019 has been fantastic.

My wife has a 2020 X5 and it has been fantastic. We even tow our camper with it, and it has been nothing short of perfect.

Would love to own a C8, and I considered it, but much like you with the mopar freaks, I didn’t want one simply for the reason that in my part of the country nearly everyone that owns one is an old engineer … 😆😆 incredible cars though.

GTR ….. I’d never fault anyone for owning that beast 🤤

CRYDR

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z Proto, 2013 BMW M3 GTS
Occupation
sometimes
I made the decision it was time to move on from the Z after nearly a year and under 5K miles. I loved the style, the nostalgia, the raw power. I loved forums like this one where fellow enthusiasts could share their passion.

I felt like a teenager the day I got my Z. That initial feeling lasted for quite some time. It masked the vehicles shortcomings, which became more and more apparent over time…. The lunging/imprecise transmission….the decent but nothing special handling…..the exhaust drone at 50 mph…..the lurches when coming to a stop at a traffic light…. the odd technology glitches like the parking sensors going off when just rolling up to a red light. I know some of these can be addressed with some tweaks and mods, but also, the dealer experience (you get treated the same if you have a Z or a Versa).

I took a weekend and drove several cars. I wanted to see if it was me or the car. Each car I drove as unbiased as I possibly could and compared it to what I had. Each car was a better experience and it made me a bit sad honestly.

The Supra - Did everything “Sporty” the Z did better. Crisper handling. Quicker off the line. Better Steering Feel. I just do not like how they look and it was hard to drive the Supra “softly” or as a day to day. Also, damn near impossible to see out of it. If it’s purely about a Sports Car, the Supra was just better.

Mustang Mach 1 - “felt“ more powerful with quicker throttle response. Handled better overall than the Z. Interior about on par. - Im just not a “Mustang guy” but could admit I thought it was a better car.

BMW M240i and M2 - The M240i was an absolute blast to drive. A revelation if you will. TONS of power, significantly better interior, fit finish, and technology. In its most comfortable settings - STILL plenty of power. In its most aggressive Sport+ setting - every bit the Sports Car the Z was and then some. While the M2 was just “more” for lack of a better way to put it. Gobs of power - stuck like glue on hard turns - BEGS to be driven hard.

At the end of the day - I wound up with the M240i. I thought I would be sad to see the Z go…but if Im being honest with myself, I was just sad it wasnt what I wanted. The M240i has been fantastic - and being treated at the BMW dealership vs the Nissan dealership is a definite improvement, not to mention the included maintenance.

The Z is still a great looking car. (The M240i looks better in person than in pics - but is not nearly as beautiful as the Z). But that is where the comparison stops. In every other metric I could find it was not even close.

This post is not to bash anyone here, or the Z car (everyone has different tastes and what they want out of the car) but just to share with someone else out there, who may be feeling the same way I felt after the honeymoon phase. You owe it to yourself to drive some of the comparable options.

Edit* Drove the top car, ultimately bought the second pic (identical spec’s but I liked the red calipers more)

Thanks for all the feedback, and love this forum has shown me. Keep mashing the gas!

IMG_1244.jpeg

IMG_1245.jpeg
Excellent debatable conclusion. I actually have the V8 E92 M3 and the Z Proto, manual, and I don't know for sure, but I did a simple tune On the Z and it may not jump out on the take off verse the M's DCT but man when it hits the turbo power band It's now like a kick in the ass Quick and may just pull a head... On the straight away but the M steers like it is on Rails and just Sounds so much better. If I had to get rid of 1, my decision would be the Z as you described. It's just lacking in the refinements.. YETTTT. So great Choice in the M2 THE performance better UGLY Choice.

OP
OP
mtjohnson

mtjohnson

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hopefully the Z hangs around for a few years and I can give it another go in a manual. I havent heard from many people with the manual that don’t really enjoy the car. “The performance better ugly choice” 😆 No doubt the Z is the better looking car :)

flyrchris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Nissan Z Performance
I made the decision it was time to move on from the Z after nearly a year and under 5K miles. I loved the style, the nostalgia, the raw power. I loved forums like this one where fellow enthusiasts could share their passion.

I felt like a teenager the day I got my Z. That initial feeling lasted for quite some time. It masked the vehicles shortcomings, which became more and more apparent over time…. The lunging/imprecise transmission….the decent but nothing special handling…..the exhaust drone at 50 mph…..the lurches when coming to a stop at a traffic light…. the odd technology glitches like the parking sensors going off when just rolling up to a red light. I know some of these can be addressed with some tweaks and mods, but also, the dealer experience (you get treated the same if you have a Z or a Versa).

I took a weekend and drove several cars. I wanted to see if it was me or the car. Each car I drove as unbiased as I possibly could and compared it to what I had. Each car was a better experience and it made me a bit sad honestly.

The Supra - Did everything “Sporty” the Z did better. Crisper handling. Quicker off the line. Better Steering Feel. I just do not like how they look and it was hard to drive the Supra “softly” or as a day to day. Also, damn near impossible to see out of it. If it’s purely about a Sports Car, the Supra was just better.

Mustang Mach 1 - “felt“ more powerful with quicker throttle response. Handled better overall than the Z. Interior about on par. - Im just not a “Mustang guy” but could admit I thought it was a better car.

BMW M240i and M2 - The M240i was an absolute blast to drive. A revelation if you will. TONS of power, significantly better interior, fit finish, and technology. In its most comfortable settings - STILL plenty of power. In its most aggressive Sport+ setting - every bit the Sports Car the Z was and then some. While the M2 was just “more” for lack of a better way to put it. Gobs of power - stuck like glue on hard turns - BEGS to be driven hard.

At the end of the day - I wound up with the M240i. I thought I would be sad to see the Z go…but if Im being honest with myself, I was just sad it wasnt what I wanted. The M240i has been fantastic - and being treated at the BMW dealership vs the Nissan dealership is a definite improvement, not to mention the included maintenance.

The Z is still a great looking car. (The M240i looks better in person than in pics - but is not nearly as beautiful as the Z). But that is where the comparison stops. In every other metric I could find it was not even close.

This post is not to bash anyone here, or the Z car (everyone has different tastes and what they want out of the car) but just to share with someone else out there, who may be feeling the same way I felt after the honeymoon phase. You owe it to yourself to drive some of the comparable options.

Edit* Drove the top car, ultimately bought the second pic (identical spec’s but I liked the red calipers more)

Thanks for all the feedback, and love this forum has shown me. Keep mashing the gas!

IMG_1244.jpeg

IMG_1245.jpeg
Did you trade in the Z for the BMW or sell it yourself? I am approaching the same point as you. I took the Z to the track three weeks ago and that is where its shortcomings really became apparent. Not that I am tracking every weekend, but the Z is a heavy car and only one suspension setting that is more tuned for highway driving. It was the girth that was the most disappointing and the annoying rattle on the driver's door about ear level. I havent yet taken it in to address that, I am waiting until it needs it oil changed to do that.

OP
OP
mtjohnson

mtjohnson

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A little of both. The local BMW dealer is a friend of mine and had a buyer lined up for the Z quickly. They facilitated the sell for a small “kickback”. I was happy to do that for simplicity.

The best thing I did when searching was pay attention to the ride over to the dealership and drive the exact same route in the cars I was testing. That gave me head to head on the same roads, same conditions etc.

Who.Am.Eye.2716

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Z
I want to turn up volume a little bit more for the BSM, but no such luck. The alert isnt loud and I sometimes cant hear it with the radio turned up

Hill assist in a manual sucks donkey balls. I have to give it a few seconds to release so I can actually get it going. Otherwise I'm bucking or over revving to start on a hill.
Did you trade in the Z for the BMW or sell it yourself? I am approaching the same point as you. I took the Z to the track three weeks ago and that is where its shortcomings really became apparent. Not that I am tracking every weekend, but the Z is a heavy car and only one suspension setting that is more tuned for highway driving. It was the girth that was the most disappointing and the annoying rattle on the driver's door about ear level. I havent yet taken it in to address that, I am waiting until it needs it oil changed to do that.
Performance or Sport when you were on track? Stock tires and how did they handle?

flyrchris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Nissan Z Performance
I want to turn up volume a little bit more for the BSM, but no such luck. The alert isnt loud and I sometimes cant hear it with the radio turned up

Hill assist in a manual sucks donkey balls. I have to give it a few seconds to release so I can actually get it going. Otherwise I'm bucking or over revving to start on a hill.

Performance or Sport when you were on track? Stock tires and how did they handle?
Performance. Yes, stock tires, they were ok, starting giving up when pushed hard. I think better tires and some sway bars would tighten things up. For this price point, it would be nice to have an adjustable suspension.

Zenogias

First Name
Danial
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Nissan Z
Occupation
Computer Programmer
Most of these issues must be specific to the automatic, because my manual performance has experienced none of these issues.. Except for what people call the "soft suspension" but as someone who uses the car as his daily driver and not a weekend track car, I appreciate the soft suspension.

I'm a BMW guy too tho, so can't fault you there. You are going to have a heart attack over the repair bills, but you will feel like a king driving that thing to work.