Should Nissan make a 300hp base model Z?

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
I see the market rationale for a ~300 HP Z, as a down-level model (just like the Supra, Mustang et al), but most definitely not using the existing 300 HP TT V-6. That engine is ridiculously over-complicated for only 300 HP, and is also very expensive to build - meaning the sticker price would therefore be much higher than necessary. I frankly consider that engine to be tactically obsolete...
... it was originally part of the Q's strategic GTM plan for a 200, 300 and 400 horsepower range. At one point that made sense... however it was the execution that was the problem. The 200 HP engine was a Mercedes turbo 4, with lousy output and the result was really dull to drive (I drove a couple of rental Q50s from Hertz, who marketed that car with that engine as "premium luxury"). That engine option is now dead and buried - where it belongs.
Look around the premium luxury market and you will see turbo 4s in cars like the excellent Alfa Romeo Giulia - which is a lot more fun to drive than the 4 cylinder Q50 ever was, and even more so than the older G37S was. On just a bit under 300 HP, and with much less weight over the front wheels.
And note that Nissan's own turbo 4 with it's odd variable compression is not at all a successful engine, with middling power, odd driveablity and apparently no improvement in mileage over a fixed-compression engine. And it's in transverse form only. So Nissan/Infiniti doesn't have a ~300 HP 4 and probably won't for longitudinal use.
And the 300 HP TTV-6 really doesn't make very impressive power for all the technology involved. It's 295 torque is especially lousy.
400 HP isn't that much in this day and age either... especially for a sportscar. And in this market, with these competitors, the Z will compete in the ~400 HP range - Supra a bit less, Mustang a bit more. So I think the 400 HP engine should be the only Z engine at this point. And followed by a further development of that engine for the future Nismo (and for a Red S Q50/Skyline I would hope) to around 450. Any more is wasted and it won't have traction.
The 400 HP engine is better than the 300 HP version, although not class-leading (both Ford and especially GM make more HP from this same size engine) and it's torque is very poor and surprisingly low: only 350. I think that low torque figure can be blamed on ye olde 7-speed auto and it's limitations... I am expecting to see tonight that torque has been raised to >400 since presumably the new 9-speed is rated much higher. And I'm assuming, and may be wrong given it's origins (troubles in the 350Z), that the 6-speed manual will also handle this much torque.
There's a reason the VR30 has "low torque". The engine is designed to rev-out just like the VQ did. I have owned and driven a few German torque-monster turbo cars. They hit hard down low and as they get near redline the run out of breath, relative to their initial low-mid torque hit. The VR30 has been praised in the Q cars as running straight to it's redline enthusiastically. Nearly every reviewer of the car heaps praise on the engine, then they can't understand why the rest of the car is no where near as excellent.
The VQ motors are high-overlap motors, that allows them to breathe freely and rev out, but as we all know, all VQ motors are torque deficient, the new VR30 seems to follow the same high-overlap scheme. It produces power in a similar way to a boosted VQ, good HP and TQ always a bit behind. Honestly, I'm looking forward to it.

BTW, the 7AT has nothing to do with it. The 7AT is also in the Titan.

Last edited:

Z34_2.0

First Name
Homer
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
?
All Zs should be 400hp+ imo. The Nismo Z should have 450-470hp but I doubt it.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
All Zs should be 400hp+ imo. The Nismo Z should have 450-470hp but I doubt it.
Much like the VQ, the VR is more of a revver.
These types of engines don't make more torque than horsepower, the tradeoff being they can rev higher than most modern turbo engines, which make tons of torque but flatline around 5k.

MARLEY

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 RAM 1500 Laramie
Occupation
US Coast Guard
Much like the VQ, the VR is more of a revver.
These types of engines don't make more torque than horsepower, the tradeoff being they can rev higher than most modern turbo engines, which make tons of torque but flatline around 5k.
With a tune the torque will surpass the hp.

2023-nissan-z-launch-timeline (1).jpeg

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
With a tune the torque will surpass the hp.
Yes, I saw that all tunes do make the engine torque rich.
Can't wait to try a tune on the Z. I had a GTI with Stage 1, it also had more torque than HP, and it drove like a muscle car in lower revs, loved it after the tune.

Y_PLZ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nissan
It would make sense for JP since their cars are stupidly expensive.

jezzza

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ranger Raptor
Occupation
‎‎ Engineer
Bestcar say they will be getting the 300hp version in Japan.
Interesting article but they're talking in certainties about information that Nissan has not released or confirmed.

It would make sense for JP since their cars are stupidly expensive.
This article says JPÂĄ4M and JPÂĄ5M. Which is the equivalent to US$36k and US$45k

Y_PLZ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nissan
This article says JPÂĄ4M and JPÂĄ5M. Which is the equivalent to US$36k and US$45k
Right, and we have to keep in mind that they are taxed on their cars yearly, gas prices, and no to mention the cost of living in JP. I still think a cheaper base model for our friends overseas wouldn't be a bad idea.

300ZTT

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback
I'm sure it's been discussed, but I saw a Motoman video with chief designer Alfonso Albaisa talking about pricing. Albaisa said it's "south" of mid 40's and when Notaras asked if there was a "3" in front of the price, Albaisa dances around the question saying there are degrees of "south". This tells me it is starting in the 40's.

The new Z is a love child of a 370Z and a Q60 so based on this information I'd guess:
Sport (300HP): $40,750
Performance (400HP): $51,900

Lin626

First Name
Linda
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MB
I'm sure it's been discussed, but I saw a Motoman video with chief designer Alfonso Albaisa talking about pricing. Albaisa said it's "south" of mid 40's and when Notaras asked if there was a "3" in front of the price, Albaisa dances around the question saying there are degrees of "south". This tells me it is starting in the 40's.

The new Z is a love child of a 370Z and a Q60 so based on this information I'd guess:
Sport (300HP): $40,750
Performance (400HP): $51,900
I’m pretty sure all Zs are 400hp.

300ZTT

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback
I’m pretty sure all Zs are 400hp.
That same Motoman video also has Albaisa saying there will be models with different levels of power. 400hp and a lesser version. He also admits this is the case for the US market.

Since the Q60 has 2 power variants 300hp and 400hp Red Sport, I'm speculating this will be the same for the Z. This is probably one of the reasons why they didn't call it the 400Z.

It would be incredible if Nissan could release a Red sport caliber Z for only $40k! Q60 Red Sport is like $58K btw.

Here's the video:

Last edited: