Should Nissan make a 300hp base model Z?

240SX

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
S14
I know all the rumors are saying all Zs will be 400hp but you think there is a chance for a 300hp base model? If yea would you buy one or would you just folk over a little more a more powerful version?

BobDigi5060

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
10r80 5.0, G37X, C4 LT1
I hope not all Zs should have the same power. Gotta capitalize in undercutting the Supra if the base will start at $35k. Wishful thinking though because the 300hp vr30 Q50 starts at $34k I believe. It would be bold to have the same powertrain across the board starting at $35k and would surely pay off. It would take away Mustang 5.0, Camaro LT1, and Challenger v8 sales if this did this I hope Nissan goes for it.

Price and power is what sold many on the 350Z. I hope the same happens with this platform.

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
It would be great to offer a base competitively priced 300 VR30, but historically Nissan has not done this with the Z. I'm still thinking all models will be 400hp, except the upscale Nismo, where power gets bumped to closer 500hp. Plus, even knowing Nissan has been producing excellent models lately (so glad!), financially offering two engine levels wouldn't justify the production costs for such a low volume sports car. High $30K or low $40K for the base 400 VR30 is still good pricing for the performance nowadays.

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
it is possible they do it to keep costs down. like a v6 mustang vs the gt. not sure that nissan will sell the volume the pony cars are made in, but it is possible if the z is the automotive hit i think it is gonna be

Last edited:

vb22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
?
Occupation
Freeloader
If it's priced really well it and if there is a big enough price gap between the two version it could be tempting to some.

TaroBaapG35

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
18' Audi S4, '22 M3 LR
Occupation
Finance Professional
Got the wife’s approval, that’s one step ahead of most of us here.

I’ll have to go with ask forgiveness instead of permission route:D
It would be great to offer a base competitively priced 300 VR30, but historically Nissan has not done this with the Z. I'm still thinking all models will be 400hp, except the upscale Nismo, where power gets bumped to closer 500hp. Plus, even knowing Nissan has been producing excellent models lately (so glad!), financially offering two engine levels wouldn't justify the production costs for such a low volume sports car. High $30K or low $40K for the base 400 VR30 is still good pricing for the performance nowadays.
I don't think Nissan will hit the 500hp mark for the Nismo; More likely they'll hit 425-450. If they do hit the 500, I'm putting deposit down ASAP. The Nismo will most likely be, body mods, interior upgrades, slight suspension tweak and an exhaust (Like the 370z/350z Nismo).

For a daily I think 300hp is more than enough for most people.
This is so true. Especially in a 6Mt. Once boost hits, it hits hard, and 400hp on the VR's are cranking out close to 380rwhp which is close to 450crank, and I'll honestly say, if the torque curve is flat enough, you'll def spin tires in 2nd gear. Fighting for traction will def be key. My AWD chirps the MPS4s during certain launches even without launch control.

it is possible they do it to keep costs down. like a v6 mustang vs the gt. not sure that nissan will sell the valume the pony cars are made in, but it is possible if the z is the automotive hit i think it is gonna be
100% my guess too. Nissan can't project Mustang sales figures. That's just not going to happen. Mustang's do so well due to their constant upgrades and low prices provided by the F150 sales. The rogue is bread and butter for Nissan hence why it was the first to get the full host of upgrades.

The Z just needs to hit 3 things; 1. 6MT and More power then 370z.. 2. Handle closer to the BRZ then the 370z did 3. Priced competitively. All to just beat the Supra in terms of value.

Datsun280Z

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Mustang GT/CS, 1962 Triumph TR3A
Occupation
High School Teacher
As someone who doesn't care about horsepower anymore, I still think the incoming base model should have a little more horsepower (340 as an homage to the 240?) than the outgoing one, even though it doesn't really matter. The focus should be on making the car as fun to drive as possible, and more horsepower doesn't necessarily mean more fun. The levels of horsepower offered today have surpassed the absurd for driving on the street and I am looking for a car that is less hamfisted meatheadedness and more precision and finesse. Theoretically, it could get away with the same horsepower as the 370Z, but only if it drops a couple hundred pounds, which I don't see happening.

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
So my thoughts for what it’s worth
Not overly fussed if it’s only 300hp, can only go so fast on the roads before the cops take your cars and crush them…I’m not going to the track, I just want it to be fast enough to be fun, nimble and sound amazing…..especially for an every day ride.

But here is the thing.
An entry model is more like to miss out on other things that I do want, side collision monitoring, front and back sensors, possibly a better sound system, nicer seats, reverse camera ( not yet a legal requirement here) better headlights etc etc..the things that make a car enjoyable to drive.

So whilst I wouldn’t mind a step down in power I would mind missing out on all the little extras….and so would probably still go the more expensive option regardless

Last edited:

Datsun280Z

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Mustang GT/CS, 1962 Triumph TR3A
Occupation
High School Teacher
So my thoughts for what it’s worth
Not overly fussed if it’s only 300hp, can only go so fast on the roads before the copes take your cars and crush them…I’m not going to the track, I just want it to be fast enough to be fun, nimble and sound amazing…..especially for an every day ride.

But here is the thing.
An entry model is more like to miss out on other things that I do want, side collision monitoring, front and back sensors, possibly a better sound system, nicer seats, reverse camera ( not yet a legal requirement here) better headlights etc etc..the things that make a car enjoyable to drive.

So whilst I wouldn’t mind a step down in power I would mind missing out on all the little extras….and so would probably still go the more expensive option regardless
This is exactly what I was thinking too. Nicer trim and more power typically go hand in hand.

Ziggy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Abarth 124
I’d prefer no lower base so I don’t have to see 30 of them at every car meet. Around me, every meet I go to seems to have 30 current gen mustangs, 30 BRZ/86 twins, 15 civics, and only a sprinkling of Zs. Not that anyone stops to look at any of those cars. They all circle up to to take Instagram pics in front of the Porsches.

RicerX

First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Titan Pro4X
It would be great to offer a base competitively priced 300 VR30, but historically Nissan has not done this with the Z.
Don't know if it was competitively priced, but the Z32 300ZX was available with a base V6 and a twin-turbo variant. I seem to remember it being decent from a pricing strategy perspective though.

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
Don't know if it was competitively priced, but the Z32 300ZX was available with a base V6 and a twin-turbo variant. I seem to remember it being decent from a pricing strategy perspective though.
Don't think it's financially smart in today's world for Nissan to produce two diff engines in the new Z, and one with less hp than the outgoing 370Z. From the 350Z on, only one engine was offered, not counting the tuned Nismos.