First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1972 Datsun 240Z
Occupation
Safety Engineer
Did anyone have the rearview mirror with the Universal remote on their car? Has anyone ordered one separately and had it installed at the dealer? If you have one, how do you like it? I see framed and frameless choices. Any comments on the difference or which is preferable?

bpeckham

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z Performance 6MT Blue/Graphite
I have the home link rear view mirror in my 2012 G37, and I think it looks identical to the mirror in the 2023 Z (right out of the parts bin).

I love it. Having the garage door integrated into the mirror is super convenient, and it looks fine. It's the framed version. Personally, I'd go for function over form for this choice.

If I ever get a Z, I'll have to find my original remotes (which I haven't seen in 11 years) to set up the new car.

ceric

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'16 Mazda6
Installed one myself before (Gentex).
It needs three connections: ground (body frame), constant 12V (for Homelink) and switched 12V (for auto-dimming).
If you buy one as an OE accessory, it should come with installation instructions. If not, you need to plan on how to find the 12V tap points. Dome light area might have tap points you need.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
Did anyone have the rearview mirror with the Universal remote on their car? Has anyone ordered one separately and had it installed at the dealer? If you have one, how do you like it? I see framed and frameless choices. Any comments on the difference or which is preferable?
I usually get the Gentex mirror on our vehicles.

One thing to look out for with some of the frameless Homelink mirrors: those are sometimes battery operated. When I bought my wife's 2020 Toyota, I almost bought the Homelink mirror from Toyota..... until I found out it was battery powered.
I sourced a Gentex "framed" mirror and installed it myself.
Benefits of wired: auto dimming, no need to replace batteries, optional compass display.