PPF or Ceramic Coating on your new Z?

Zboy

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Z32
How will you protect your Z? All of the cars I owned I haven't done either one. What are the pros and cons to each? Lastly, which one is cheaper lol?

H2O_Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M240i, Supra MkV, 370Z 6MT
Occupation
Friggin’ Scientist
I’ll do PPF. As low as the Z is, it’s begging for collisions with rocks and other debris. I did it for my A90 and M240i. It is expensive. I do a partial (hood, front bumper, fenders). I also typically do rock guards.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
I just keep my car clean.
I have a 15 y/o Nissan Titan. Supposedly, according to Titan bashers, the worst paint ever. I have cleaned it an average of 4 times/yr, and only recently clay bar, buffed and waxed it after an accident repair, and the paint still looks 100%, and this is on a truck that is left outside all the time, never fit in any of my garages. By most people's definition, my truck is "neglected".

My Z will be in a garage. I may wax it, but that'll be the extent of it.

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
Occupation
Litigator
No PPF for me. PPF makes colors appear "colder" than they really are. To that point, I think PPF would make more sense for a daily that sees all four seasons. The new Z, however, will just be a weekend toy for me, so I'd rather the warmer, natural color of the paintjob.

So I will be using a coating to protect it, but unclear which one. Adam's new, non-flammable graphene coating seems promising if they got their shit together regarding batch quality. Some batches worked well and as intended, others very clearly did not, causing residue on plastic parts.

Andaesthetics

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2014 Nissan 370Z Sport Touring
No PPF for me. PPF makes colors appear "colder" than they really are. To that point, I think PPF would make more sense for a daily that sees all four seasons. The new Z, however, will just be a weekend toy for me, so I'd rather the warmer, natural color of the paintjob.
Good quality PPF that is installed correctly should not change the appearance of paint whatsoever.

I didn't know you could do that. o_O
Yup you absolutely can. I would ceramic coat the wheels as well to make it super easy to clean.

H2O_Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M240i, Supra MkV, 370Z 6MT
Occupation
Friggin’ Scientist
If you’ve never looked at the PPF through polarized sunglasses, you’re missing an interesting effect, particularly where the film covers curved surfaces. First time I saw mine was a “holy crap” moment.