First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
18' Audi S4, '22 M3 LR
Occupation
Finance Professional
I hope this is the manual version and we get a few more shots since the other leak showed the Silver w/blue interior that was auto and so far nothing more from the Grey one on the docks video leak that was supposedly a Manual. Let's go Nissan!!!

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
So turn around for the 370 was only two weeks.
Given the camo shots @supra93 posted on the 15th ( possibly 14th USA) and they were in your in box for a further 4 days...taking us back to the 10th ....the rumoured date of May 23 is still in the realms of possibility
whatever the case, it’s clear it’s getting closer.
I still have faith in my dealer telling me they will be here at the end of the year

supraboi

First Name
Vu
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GS300
So turn around for the 370 was only two weeks.
Given the camo shots @supra93 posted on the 15th ( possibly 14th USA) and they were in your in box for a further 4 days...taking us back to the 10th ....the rumoured date of May 23 is still in the realms of possibility
whatever the case, it’s clear it’s getting closer.
I still have faith in my dealer telling me they will be here at the end of the year
Wait what, how are you getting 2 weeks? 1st spied on Aug 15th to Oct 29th debut is like 3 months no?

DrivingEnthusiast

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Focus RS, S2000, Infiniti Q50S Red Sport 400
Occupation
computer geek
The Tokyo Auto Show in October was a logical announce point... but now that has been cancelled due to Covid. Those types of shows may or may not be obsolete anyway, but you still need them for the media attention they draw. And this Z is getting one of Nissan's largest media splashes in years... which it is going to need since it has a very limited market compared to their mainstream products. And this attention rubs off on the other prodicts, on Nissan's corporate image, and more. Benefits all around.
If the North American on-sale date (which is several weeks after production begins) is indeed at the end of the year... then if you announce this month you loose momentum since you can't take delivery for almost 7 months. People don't want that... and other cars might get their attention in the meantime. And taking delivery in December or January... if I lived up north again I wouldn't want that either (I used to time my deliveries for April). So lets say production is at year-end, and ramp-up, verification, and then the boat ride over may well be two months and more.
Keep in mind, too, that they already know how to build this car... the platform is identical to the 370Z/Q50/Q60 that all goes down the same assembly line, the body is just a "top hat", the engine assembly is the same as the Q50/60. All that's truly new is the auto transmission (and which the Q50/60 may or at least should get anyway) and the dashboard... which probably is inserted at the same build point and in the same way anyway.
So this is not predictable. And just because there are a couple running around the US doesn't mean production is imminent. This is the normal course of testing and certifying.
What can we do? Look for Q50/60 model year 2022 announcements... look for long-lead "previews" in major car magazines (which, sure, won't tell *us* anything new, but are important for the *mainstream* and could well be 1 issue before the on-sale date), look for supplier or union agreements that are public, look for spy pics in Japanese magazines (and look only for pics, not their usual speculation or wild drawings). And the North American dealers have already had their long range briefing... so some may let things slip even though they are on NDA for the duration. Ask them when their NDA runs out!

2JZ-No-Sh*t

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
I was wondering why the car had two different wraps on. I guess they ran out of the darker one lol.

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
Wait what, how are you getting 2 weeks? 1st spied on Aug 15th to Oct 29th debut is like 3 months no?
Last Spotted on the 13th of October before released on the 29th...two weeks. Most of the early links mark the 370z being leaked as the proto...until the last couple.
I suppose it depends if this leak is the first or last...given we have seen shots of the car, and plenty of the proto around....it could be a matter of weeks, although as you have said it could also be a couple of months...either way it’s not far off.

there is a guy on another forum who swears by the 23rd May date...he may just be trying to stir the pot, I don’t know ...but it would be great if he was right.
Never hurts to dream

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
The Tokyo Auto Show in October was a logical announce point... but now that has been cancelled due to Covid. Those types of shows may or may not be obsolete anyway, but you still need them for the media attention they draw. And this Z is getting one of Nissan's largest media splashes in years... which it is going to need since it has a very limited market compared to their mainstream products. And this attention rubs off on the other prodicts, on Nissan's corporate image, and more. Benefits all around.
If the North American on-sale date (which is several weeks after production begins) is indeed at the end of the year... then if you announce this month you loose momentum since you can't take delivery for almost 7 months. People don't want that... and other cars might get their attention in the meantime. And taking delivery in December or January... if I lived up north again I wouldn't want that either (I used to time my deliveries for April). So lets say production is at year-end, and ramp-up, verification, and then the boat ride over may well be two months and more.
Keep in mind, too, that they already know how to build this car... the platform is identical to the 370Z/Q50/Q60 that all goes down the same assembly line, the body is just a "top hat", the engine assembly is the same as the Q50/60. All that's truly new is the auto transmission (and which the Q50/60 may or at least should get anyway) and the dashboard... which probably is inserted at the same build point and in the same way anyway.
So this is not predictable. And just because there are a couple running around the US doesn't mean production is imminent. This is the normal course of testing and certifying.
What can we do? Look for Q50/60 model year 2022 announcements... look for long-lead "previews" in major car magazines (which, sure, won't tell *us* anything new, but are important for the *mainstream* and could well be 1 issue before the on-sale date), look for supplier or union agreements that are public, look for spy pics in Japanese magazines (and look only for pics, not their usual speculation or wild drawings). And the North American dealers have already had their long range briefing... so some may let things slip even though they are on NDA for the duration. Ask them when their NDA runs out!
Yes and no.
The online reveal of the Proto was a success... this car has so much interest that most serious buyers are on Nissan’s news page mail out, forums such as this, and/or in touch with their dealers...meaning any online reveal will get to the people it needs.

Re long waits...ordinarily I would agree with you, but we are not living in ordinary times.
it could be possible that there would be a reveal, and a Pre order for the first allocations.
With the shortage of chips they will be wanting to make sure that any cars they do have will reach the dealers who can sell them. Pre Order would be a way of directing stock where it’s needed, and maybe even judge how many manuals v autos to produce to satisfy that initial interest.
I think they will be wanting to make sure that every chip goes where it’s needed until the problem is alleviated and with covid that factories that are working on restricted timelines are producing what they can sell, rather than what will sit in the dealership.

I have absolutely no evidence to say this is what they are thinking, but if I was a company with limited staff, limited materials, and a debt it’s what I would do...get orders first...then produce what’s needed

280driver

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1975 280Z 5-speed, 2020 Toyota Sequoia TRD Pro
The Amelia Island Concours is this weekend and there is a big Nissan Z event planned (see below). Could there be something announced or shown here that ties in to the event on the 23rd?

“ A 400-strong field of regional and local collectibles will be at the annual Concours d'Elegance's "Cars & Coffee at the Concours" from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday, May 22 on the same fairways as the next day's 26th annual concours. The event will celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Datsun/Nissan Z car.”