Nissan Z35 and the Kia GT4 Stinger

chromeX

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
Let's pit what the Z35 could possibly see as competition in another future vehicle.

Here's the Kia GT4 Stinger concept... info from Kia's site.

Basically 2.0L turbo DI 4 cylinder making 315 horsepower, 6 speed manual, RWD, 2,874 pounds and 52/48 weight distribution.

As an authentic rear-drive 2+2 sports car, the GT4 Stinger turns heads as a daily driver and is right at home on the track too. Beneath the hood resides a tuned version of Kia’s proven 2.0-liter turbocharged gasoline direct injected (T-GDI) four-cylinder engine, which puts out an impressive 315 horsepower. That power is put to the ground via a close-ratio six-speed manual transmission driving the rear wheels, which are wrapped in 275/35R-20 Pirelli P-Zero performance tires with corner-carving grip. The result is a return to the visceral experience of driving that is at the heart of this Kia concept.

MENACING POISE & PERFORMANCE.

As a statement of the concept’s dynamic intent, the GT4 Stinger’s sculpted “Ignition Yellow” body is underpinned by a custom chassis with independent double wishbone suspension, as well as a high-downforce carbon fibre front splitter and front-brake cooling vents. It tips the scales at a scant 2,874 pounds, and weight distribution is spread nearly perfectly at 52 % up front and 48 % at the rear. Besides two-piece 15-inch cross-drilled rotors and four-piston calipers with plenty of stopping power. The GT4 Stinger also features a quick-ratio steering rack for direct feedback and uncompromised control.

SIMPLICITY BY DESIGN.

Kia’s eye-catching design language moves in a bold new direction here – starting with the latest iteration of the signature grille resting mere inches from the ground. The surround glows white and is flanked by vertical LED headlamps. The silhouette is simple yet powerful, with a greenhouse design providing an aggressive side profile in homage to the iconic Kia Soul. At the back, the body widens to cover the large 275-series Pirelli rubber, while LED taillights illuminate from inside the outer edge of a blacked-out panel just above the dual exhaust ports in the rear bumper.

THE INSIDE STORY.

The GT4 Stinger’s interior is purposeful in design and practical in nature. Front and centre to the driver is a thick D-shaped steering wheel and red LED-illuminated instrument panel with large tachometer and gear indicator. In keeping with the track theme and taking inspiration from sports and competition cars of the past, interior door handles have been replaced by red-stitched pull straps. Reflecting the spirit of pure, unadulterated driving, the GT4 Stinger makes do without the luxury of a stereo. Instead, the free-flow exhaust pipes will be music to the ears of driving enthusiasts everywhere.

afflicted

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2012 fr-s
It sounds ok on paper but really? it's a Kia.

Also I wouldn't make anything of that weight. Its just a concept car and there is no way they will get it under 3000 pounds in production forum.

Ranma

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Rusty old Mitsu
For a Kia it really aint shabby looking. I just don't think anyone is going to care because of the company that makes it.

-=Godzilla=-

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GT-R
Kia lol. I would not get any first generation sports car from a company that's never built a true sports car.

MisterNismo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Totaled 370Z
Kia has a long way to go to have any street cred in the sports car segment. The concept looks good but anyone can create a concept that is visually appealing.

350ZZZ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
07 350Z NISMO
Kia has a long way to go to have any street cred in the sports car segment. The concept looks good but anyone can create a concept that is visually appealing.
Specs were sure good though. But haven't heard a lick about the car in months. Probably dead? Shame too since Hyundai just picked up BMW M division's head of engineering, Biermann. He could probably works some magic with a small RWD sports car.

UnknownZ35

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Z34 sport/altima S
I don't think this is technically a first attempt. I believe it will harness a lot of information from the 7 year run of the Genesis coupe, which faired much better than people expected.
The Kia Optima straight took a shyt on the Nissan Altima. It was leagues better in every performance aspect.

6 speed paddle shift auto vs CVT

2.0 turbo engine vs 2.5 litre n/a

More interesting design with competitive exterior quality.

Sportier interior design though some plastics were slightly cheaper than the Altima. I would say that's the only place the Altima won.

I can easily see a top line Kia beating a bare bones Z. I can also see that top line Kia being cheaper or the same price as a bare bones Z with a lot more features. This isn't 2010 and under anymore. Hyundai Kia is a true competitor. Though I don't see them beating a Z. I see a good cheaper alternative.

SPOHN

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
350,G35,G37,370
Occupation
Lineman
Kia is and has been doing great things. Their going in a good direction. I'm sure the younger crowds wil love it. The Z is hard to beat IMO. Next thing up would be a Cayman.

Angelo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Z34 l E39 l F30
Datsun/Nissan, as well as every other Japanese automaker in the 60's and 70's, weren't taken seriously--much like Kia, Hyundai, etc., are now. The Korean brands are showing promise, but it will take them decades, if not lifetimes to get my business. Don't get me wrong, when I lived in South Korea for a year, I drove a Kia Credos. It was spacious like the Camry and Maxima, and surprisingly, a very capable DD. However, the engine was rough, interior was cheap, and exterior was forgettable. Never say never though. I was an Apple guy for the longest time, but now I think my Samsung phone is the best thing I ever bought. We'll see.