Nissan Z roadster coming? What about a T-Top, Targa Top, or Shooting Brake?

What body style would you be interested in?

• Total voters

siggy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A couple
Owning my first convertible last year made me do away with my Bronco order. I was looking forward to having the Bronco as my "convertible" ride, but after seeing a video on how to take the top down, vs my current 1-button push down ride, I said "HELL NO"! Especially when it's about to rain and have to look for an emergency spot to pull over! Yeah, I live in the South and an all of sudden rain shower is a thing.

I get that targa's and T's look pretty cool/retro, but at the end of the day, like the Bronco top, they will end up being a pain in the arse! Anything having to do with getting in and out of the car constantly to enjoy open air driving takes away from the experience IMO.

My friend has the new Vette with the panel/targa roof. He can only enjoy the top off when he has his wife to help him take the panel off ... and on. So pretty much he never drives with the panel off just because he can't do it himself. Speaking of the Corvette ... the convertible version historically never sold well until this new model arrived. The current take-rate for convertible orders is sitting at around 42%!!!! So, make a car that looks good as a convertible and it will sell. From the photos and video's I've seen of the Z posted, the convertible hold it's own and maybe fairs even better in the looks department in convertible form.

We are creatures of habit and convenience. In this case targa's and T's are just not convenient and I will tire of any habit taking them off and on ... on and off. Give me my 1-button feature! I will say this ... having experienced driving a convertible ..... I wouldn't want to own anything else now! Being stuck inside all day due to covid and/or home or work ... why on earth would I want to be stuck in anything else when I'm outside??? Just my new view of life as it stands. ;)
A couple things. I have a Wrangler that stays naked all year long. Of course living in the Midwest it’s also garaged. Sounds like a bronco may be too much “work” for you.

Second, your friend needs the help of his wife for a 17lb targa top? Yikes.

Sounds like you and your friend need to go do some curls, drink a couple Buds, and grow some hair on your chest. Skip your mani/pedi appointment.

Y_PLZ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nissan
Chief of Nissan Design , Alfonso Albaisa explained why the new Z sports car didn't get an optional t-top roof, stating "400hp, big torque, body rigidity"

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
I like Alfonso, but that excuse was a bit....ehhhh.....

The Z34 with 332hp was offered completely topless.

And T-Bar roofs can absolutely be engineered to perform nearly as well as a solid roof.

However, it's a dated design. Not everyone at Nissan remembers mullets and gold chains. I think Z owners would enthusiastically like T-Tops though.....
Nissan probably had some internal turmoil going on during this car's development, I would guess Nissan was marginalizing Ghosn at this time (that's why so many new Nissan designs are leaps and bounds better) and they had a lot on their plate.
They need to get the new Z out sooner than later, the curtain of regulations is closing on these cars.

I will add, the T-Tops on my Datsuns/Nissans always worked well.

Drseckzytime

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stuff
One of the features I miss from the 90's cars are the T-Tops and Targas. The Z34 came in a convertible, so they could've done it here. It would come at the cost of weight though, and the car is heavy enough as is.

The Supra is another, and probably even bigger offender. Its chassis is designed for a roadster right from the get go. In fact is the only dedicated sports car chassis BMW makes. Toyota even had a SEMA car made with a Targa and big wing. They know, these car makers just half-fast everything anymore. Or they hire "new youthful" people out of college that really don't pay attention to history, or care to.

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
Love it…that’s the one thing the Mx-5 has over the Z. not everyone wants the Z for racing, some just want a fun car to drive…alas it seems no one car is perfect. I doubt this will ver come to fruition

Denver the Last Dinosaur

First Name
Denver
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cardboard box
Personally I don't like convertibles. T-tops are slightly better. I definitely prefer a regular coupe, but a factory tinted / privacy-screened glass sunroof option would be great, so it still lets some light in when closed. Sunroofs seem to have gone out of fashion too these days though, with only the full glass roof (usually non-openable) taking over. :(