Nissan Dealer Lashes Out Defending Z's $130,000 Price..

rocksandblues

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GL450, m3, e90, GLC300, Zupra, C280
Occupation
taco bell
America is still great. I can price a piece of bubble gum at $1mil if i want too.
and in America you are free NOT to buy and even laugh at me.

It tickles me, however; when people think they are entitled to something in their budget and means just because they want it.

On the other side Nissan has completely botched what should have been a heritage and proud company product release. Their arrogance and or stupidity can also be argued and discussed ad nauseum in America.

These are really first world issues- a 400hp (370) impractical sports car when the majority of the world worries about starving, being killed, etc.

ZDreamer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Subaru
Do y'all think the markups are strategic or more so of greed? E.g. if the dealers have insider information that Nissan can only produce 1000 units per year for the next several years, it's a good bet that the Z will be rare. And more so, the proto number is fixed to 240 units, then it might be a good business move to justify for extreme markup.

I think if they mark up the Sport or Performance from MSRP or don't allow customer to order (w/o the addendum), that's going too far.

therumblewagon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CX-5, Elantra N
Do y'all think the markups are strategic or more so of greed? E.g. if the dealers have insider information that Nissan can only produce 1000 units per year for the next several years, it's a good bet that the Z will be rare. And more so, the proto number is fixed to 240 units, then it might be a good business move to justify for extreme markup.

I think if they mark up the Sport or Performance from MSRP or don't allow customer to order (w/o the addendum), that's going too far.
Eh, given how things have gone with this release, I'd be hesitant to give Nissan that much credit in being THAT effective at communicating when they kept dealerships in the dark for so long.

I think it's simply greed. We've seen some dealers advertise selling at MSRP (whether that's confirmed or not is TBD), however the fact they're even saying it makes me think it's a possibility.

Kbl911

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 370Z
Occupation
Wealth Management
It tickles me, however; when people think they are entitled to something in their budget and means just because they want it.
I'd argue it's far less a problem of entitlement and more so one of expectation. In this case, an expectation that rests/rested on a multitude of factors (historical pricing for the Z, the vehicle's market position, price relative to competitors, etc) some of which are more reliable predictors than others.

I think it may appear to be an issue of entitlement because the vehicle in question exists in a category that is less broadly utilitarian than, say, a small or midsized economy car. Thus, the expectation that the Z would be an affordable car can be viewed through the lens of "discretionary expenditure" rather than "necessity spending" and can come across negatively.

Donalex

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1995 Nissan 300ZX
It takes years to conceive a product and get it to the consumer.

IMHO, Nissan set the scene for a royal screwup by building the Proto. It set pricing expectations by dealers when they artificially elevated the Z above what it historically was, the value-driven everyday man sportscar.

The New Z already has historical features. We didn't need special paint and stickahs to divide the Z market.

Even without the Proto, these unprecedented market conditions all but guaranteed markups, but Corporate planners didn't envision them when they proposed the project.

Only 25% of normal new car inventory was produced this year. Mainly due to supply issues. However, manufacturers are drinking the Kool aid of depressing supply means higher profits for the manufacturer and the dealer in that you have higher spec'd trim levels and scarcity of units.

Between turbos or a new platform and design, I'd be more pleased with the latter.

ZDreamer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Subaru
hindsight is 20/20: The biggest question nobody asked was to determine if their production capability was able to match the massive marketing approach (e.g. millions dollar spent on seconds of SuperBowl ad). Even before the Proto was in anybody's hand, they stopped the ordering process in Canada (and not allow ordering current), likely realizing that there was a "big giant elephant under the carpet" that nobody wanted to address.

If they knew about the "elephant" and forgo the issue for pure marketing, then they primarily focused on the image and not the actual product. If that's all true, then they have stepped into the territory of greed.

Eh, given how things have gone with this release, I'd be hesitant to give Nissan that much credit in being THAT effective at communicating when they kept dealerships in the dark for so long.

I think it's simply greed. We've seen some dealers advertise selling at MSRP (whether that's confirmed or not is TBD), however the fact they're even saying it makes me think it's a possibility.
I'd argue it's far less a problem of entitlement and more so one of expectation. In this case, an expectation that rests/rested on a multitude of factors (historical pricing for the Z, the vehicle's market position, price relative to competitors, etc) some of which are more reliable predictors than others.

I think it may appear to be an issue of entitlement because the vehicle in question exists in a category that is less broadly utilitarian than, say, a small or midsized economy car. Thus, the expectation that the Z would be an affordable car can be viewed through the lens of "discretionary expenditure" rather than "necessity spending" and can come across negatively.

spstan

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2004 BMW 330Ci
Occupation
Software Engineer
America is still great. I can price a piece of bubble gum at $1mil if i want too.
and in America you are free NOT to buy and even laugh at me.

On the other side Nissan has completely botched what should have been a heritage and proud company product release. Their arrogance and or stupidity can also be argued and discussed ad nauseum in America.

These are really first world issues- a 400hp (370) impractical sports car when the majority of the world worries about starving, being killed, etc.
I think what your analogy is missing is that there aren’t FTC regulations prohibiting consumers from buying gum straight from the manufacturer. Not so great in my eyes.

Marxbest

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
350z
This is definitely a cool car, but 130k for a Nissan? Of course, I am sure that there will be fans willing to pay that amount. But as an ordinary car fan, I wouldn’t buy it for that much. At the very least I would find a better deal on Priceva.

Last edited:

MacCool

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Murano (wife), GMC2500HD (winter), 370Z, Z (soon)
Occupation
retired
This is definitely a cool car, but 130k for a Nissan? Of course, I am sure that there will be fans willing to pay that amount. But as an ordinary car fan, I wouldn’t buy it for that much.
Worth noting that that Facebook post was 14 months ago. Safe to say that that dealership isn't asking or getting that markup anymore. Gotta admire the chutzpah of that dealership , but it's not the kind of place that I would ever shop for a new car. That level of disrespect for their customers has to translate to the other areas of way that they do business.