Next-generation Subaru BRZ

SS727Z

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SS
So cheap in today’s car market. This is a great backup plan if the Z price is too steep.

I wonder if you could use factory turbo setup from the upcoming wrx since it’s the same 2.4 supposedly?

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F-150
Pricing released and orders open!

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146205

$27,995 for base 6mt, base auto with Eyesight is $29,995.

Limited 6mt is $30,495, auto is $32,295.

Limited adds upgraded audio, 18" wheels with Pilot Sport 4 tires, Ultrasuede seats, heated seats and side mirrors, steering responsive headlights, blind spot detection, and available Starlink telematics.

8" headunit and dual zone climate control are standard!

Orders open today!

therumblewagon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CX-5, Elantra N
I filled it out, thinking the next page would show me how much they're looking for in terms of reservations (curiosity, really), and it was like "great, x dealer will contact you soon!"

Dammit.

therumblewagon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CX-5, Elantra N
Wow, already got an email. Scooby sales people are hungry tonight, lol.

So cheap in today’s car market. This is a great backup plan if the Z price is too steep.

I wonder if you could use factory turbo setup from the upcoming wrx since it’s the same 2.4 supposedly?
Yeah, like where your head is at here.

Subarashi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Camry, Q60 RWD
Lol I'm down for a test drive, I read somewhere that the FA24 is actually lighter than the previous generation's FA20 which is pretty cool.
Although I'm a little worried about the rods though since the FA20 rods couldn't handle very much torque at all.

BobDigi5060

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
10r80 5.0, G37X, C4 LT1
Lol I'm down for a test drive, I read somewhere that the FA24 is actually lighter than the previous generation's FA20 which is pretty cool.
Although I'm a little worried about the rods though since the FA20 rods couldn't handle very much torque at all.
The rods are bigger and to be fair it was meant to be na to have an even lower center of gravity.

I really like the gr86 and having a 10r80 5.0 power isn'tmuch of a deal breaker for me.

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
since the brz and gr86 are pretty much the same car and are on my radar along with the z, i just copied and pasted my thoughts from the other thread...

i've held off saying much about the new brz/86 because i wanted to see how it would turn out. as i've mentioned before, my next sports car is gonna be my dd.

i got to say i'm a huge toyota fanboy. since 2007 i've owed 4 tacoma's and 3 supras. and as i've also mentioned i saved and waited nearly 4 years for the new supra...only to find out it was a zupr4.

this left me a few choices, wrx, brz/86, mr2, gsx or r32. the z is at the top unless i'm impatient and find one of the other cars set up the way i want and cheaper.

tbh i was excited about the new brz/86, but after the reveal i'm a little disappointed. the styling is a little meh imho. the gt86 looks a little more aggressive and better to my eyes.

the new motor should help the problem it had with torque dip and being underpowered. that is the main reason i didn't buy the first gen.

but if i find an brz/86 (and i'm always looking at cars daily lol) that's turbo'd or supercharged...i may go that route instead and wait on the z if it's gonna be a while.

BobDigi5060

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
10r80 5.0, G37X, C4 LT1
since the brz and gr86 are pretty much the same car and are on my radar along with the z, i just copied and pasted my thoughts from the other thread...

i've held off saying much about the new brz/86 because i wanted to see how it would turn out. as i've mentioned before, my next sports car is gonna be my dd.

i got to say i'm a huge toyota fanboy. since 2007 i've owed 4 tacoma's and 3 supras. and as i've also mentioned i saved and waited nearly 4 years for the new supra...only to find out it was a zupr4.

this left me a few choices, wrx, brz/86, mr2, gsx or r32. the z is at the top unless i'm impatient and find one of the other cars set up the way i want and cheaper.

tbh i was excited about the new brz/86, but after the reveal i'm a little disappointed. the styling is a little meh imho. the gt86 looks a little more aggressive and better to my eyes.

the new motor should help the problem it had with torque dip and being underpowered. that is the main reason i didn't buy the first gen.

but if i find an brz/86 (and i'm always looking at cars daily lol) that's turbo'd or supercharged...i may go that route instead and wait on the z if it's gonna be a while.
You didn't like the Mk 5 because it was a BMW product? I'd rather have a B58 than a VR30.

You can always turbo or supercharge a brz/86 a factory turbo will probably never happen.

Sometimes I think what if I got a 2020 Supra instead of my 5.0. Unfortunately, half of 2021 Supras aren't tunable.

Haste

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Civic Type R, '09 335i, '23 Kona N
You didn't like the Mk 5 because it was a BMW product? I'd rather have a B58 than a VR30.

You can always turbo or supercharge a brz/86 a factory turbo will probably never happen.

Sometimes I think what if I got a 2020 Supra instead of my 5.0. Unfortunately, half of 2021 Supras aren't tunable.
I understand the logic and can validate the Mk5 using the B58 since it wouldn't exist without it, but to wait around 20 years for a new Supra to come out only to get some bastardized BMW/Toyota love child is disappointing to say the least. Making it auto only added insult to injury. I really like the B58 but to me the car to have it in is a '18 F30 ZHP M/T (only 75 made).

We're buying the new BRZ or 86 and will probably wait until Q1-Q2 '22 to go get it. Should be a lot of fun with a turbo once the warranty is up.

Last edited:

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
You didn't like the Mk 5 because it was a BMW product?/....
that is correct...i like japanese built cars with japanese reliability....not the opposite.
any questions? see quote below...

I understand the logic and can validate the Mk5 using the B58 since it wouldn't exist without it, but to wait around 20 years for a new Supra to come out only to get some bastardized BMW/Toyota love child is disappointing to say the least. Making it auto only added insult to injury....

BobDigi5060

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
10r80 5.0, G37X, C4 LT1
I understand the logic and can validate the Mk5 using the B58 since it wouldn't exist without it, but to wait around 20 years for a new Supra to come out only to get some bastardized BMW/Toyota love child is disappointing to say the least. Making it auto only added insult to injury. I really like the B58 but to me the car to have it in is a '18 F30 ZHP M/T (only 75 made).

We're buying the new BRZ or 86 and will probably wait until Q1-Q2 '22 to go get it. Should be a lot of fun with a turbo once the warranty is up.

So the Supra is a bastardized love child, but the 86/BRZ isn't?

that is correct...i like japanese built cars with japanese reliability....not the opposite.
any questions? see quote below...
BRZs and 86s had a valve spring recall and the fix for some led to even more problems, one car catching on fire, and a class action lawsuit being filed. A class action lawsuit was also filed for WRXs and STi'. So much for Japanese reliability.

Going FI on an 86 isn't going to keep it reliable. Quite the opposite actually and proven time and again to lessen the longevity of the motor.

BobDigi5060

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
10r80 5.0, G37X, C4 LT1
More power is fun, but the trade off is added weight to the front and a higher center of gravity. Balance and weight are selling points and advantages the twins have. Going FI on these two take away from that and is why the manufacturers don't offer it and likely never will. But, to each their own. I have a 10r80 5.0 I doubt I'd want or need a FI gr86 if that's the next car I end up with. We'll see I'd have to experience a FI twin first.

I'm not putting a blower or TT on my coyote because I'm not trying to be on 1320 video or live at the strip. The car will eventually be FBO, wide tire, and have suspension mods. Possibly a CMC car years from now. Again, to each their own.

I sometimes want a Camaro because they won't be around much longer, but wouldn't trade my Mustang for one (more sophisticated engine and final drive options for A10) and since I have one just want to improve upon it's disadvantage (handling). Keeping my Mustang forever and will just improve on the platform. It's gonna come down to the 86, Z, Supra, and C8 for me. The c8 will have to prove to be reliable, 21+ Supras will have to be tunable, and the new Z will have to have to be both along with improvements over the 370 and current vr30s (drive belts don't last long enough on those).

Haste

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
So the Supra is a bastardized love child, but the 86/BRZ isn't?
86/BRZ is a love child, but it's not the 5th generation and followup to a legendary car. I'm all for collaboration between auto makers, I just don't feel like the Supra of all cars was one to do it on.

Last edited:

Haste

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
More power is fun, but the trade off is added weight to the front and a higher center of gravity. Balance and weight are selling points and advantages the twins have. Going FI on these two take away from that and is why the manufacturers don't offer it and likely never will. But, to each their own. I have a 10r80 5.0 I doubt I'd want or need a FI gr86 if that's the next car I end up with. We'll see I'd have to experience a FI twin first.

I'm not putting a blower or TT on my coyote because I'm not trying to be on 1320 video or live at the strip. The car will eventually be FBO, wide tire, and have suspension mods. Possibly a CMC car years from now. Again, to each their own.

I sometimes want a Camaro because they won't be around much longer, but wouldn't trade my Mustang for one (more sophisticated engine and final drive options for A10) and since I have one just want to improve upon it's disadvantage (handling). Keeping my Mustang forever and will just improve on the platform. It's gonna come down to the 86, Z, Supra, and C8 for me. The c8 will have to prove to be reliable, 21+ Supras will have to be tunable, and the new Z will have to have to be both along with improvements over the 370 and current vr30s (drive belts don't last long enough on those).
I actually like that the twins are NA from the factory. It's going to be a DD until its out of warranty and then we'll see what's up and have some fun with it. It will probably be like a 4th or 5th car by that time, so I'm not too concerned with reliability. I also daily a FBO, tuned N54 powered car, so again, not too concerned with reliability lol :D

I'm sure it's not a matter of if, but when, the B58 DME on the '21+ is cracked. I've owned two Z's and currently own a TT BMW that will have to be stolen or totaled to get it away from me, so for me adding the new Z is a pretty simple decision.