Next-generation Subaru BRZ

Captain Drew

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Subaru WRX
Subaru now promoting ability to schedule test drives - https://www.subaru.com/vehicles/brz/features.html (very bottom of page)

May check it out as a way to satiate my desire to drive something fun + RWD + manual until we get closer to the Z arriving.
So I tried signing up for this and it's very much a scheme to just get your info to a dealer. Local dealer called me, said all cars have been allocated until March and even then it will be hard to have one sit long enough for me to actually try it. Very disappointed, dealers should get a showroom model for the sole purpose of catching prospective buyers.

therumblewagon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CX-5, Elantra N
So I tried signing up for this and it's very much a scheme to just get your info to a dealer. Local dealer called me, said all cars have been allocated until March and even then it will be hard to have one sit long enough for me to actually try it. Very disappointed, dealers should get a showroom model for the sole purpose of catching prospective buyers.
Damn. And yeah, I mean good for them the demand is that high, but I don't love the idea of buying it without even having the opportunity to see it in person (outside of briefly at an auto show). Agree w/ you though that it's, objectively speaking, pretty poor form.

I've been having a back-and-forth email chat w/ a rep from one of the Scooby dealers down here and she hasn't given anything concrete around timing, etc. but wild it's already several months out. Might send her a quick note now saying I saw test drives being promoted and see what she replies with.

Maybe we'll have better luck checking out the GR? I'm inclined to doubt it, but until we know for sure...

Captain Drew

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Subaru WRX
Damn. And yeah, I mean good for them the demand is that high, but I don't love the idea of buying it without even having the opportunity to see it in person (outside of briefly at an auto show). Agree w/ you though that it's, objectively speaking, pretty poor form.

I've been having a back-and-forth email chat w/ a rep from one of the Scooby dealers down here and she hasn't given anything concrete around timing, etc. but wild it's already several months out. Might send her a quick note now saying I saw test drives being promoted and see what she replies with.

Maybe we'll have better luck checking out the GR? I'm inclined to doubt it, but until we know for sure...
I've been out of the market for a new car for a while now, but this experience just reminded me how little sales man know how to sell a car outside of press release facts. He tried to sell me on comitting with phrases such as "it's a new engine, 2.5 over 2.0 with over 200 hp" and "the March car will be an automatic so that's great". I got a giggle out of that. A well informed buyer will always know more about the car than a salesman. I respect his drive though, I politely informed him I am cross shopping this car against the new Z and if he has a car sitting long enough, to give me a call because I would be interested in a manual, Limited trim.

therumblewagon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CX-5, Elantra N
So, followed through on my previous comment and sent that email. Just got this back -

"Yes! So the BRZ’s are coming on the 26th of this month. We have some limited and 2 premiums! The official day is 26th! When would you like to stop in?"

I'm tempted to play a game of hypotheticals here, and use this as a benchmark of sorts of how manufacturing has been going with supply chain, etc. issues. Mostly because I'm just trying to give myself something to do while we continue to wait and try to reassure myself it's not going to be as we all think.

With that said, I don't know how many "some" is, however it's safe to assume it's at least one. Probably more, but still. I'd imagine this car is in pretty high demand, as noted by what @Captain Drew reported on, not to mention all of the positive press and what have you. There are roughly half a dozen Subaru dealerships within 100 or so miles from me, so I'm gonna send them all emails as well and see if they're getting their allotments too (how many/when). If each dealer is receiving several-ish of both models across the area, and considering we're still several months away from the Z, that does indeed give me a bit of faith.

We'll see how much variety is presented, but I'll definitely swing by the dealer (them and any others that surface) to scope out ADM as well. I haven't looked into any speculation around if these cars will have them or not, but either way it'll give us another...metric? factor? to contemplate.

Last edited:

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
What I got most out of the guy getting his white car was…yes it’s a nice car…but more importantly Subaru delivered it 3 months after reserving it …hope Nissan can match it

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
I gotta admit...
I was on the Toyota website building a GR86.

I am worried, our Z went from being a "2022" my to a "2023" my, I'm additionally concerned that Airya ordering opened up for delivery in January 2023, and we don't have ordering yet.

I don't know if Nissan is aware... But ain't none of us getting any younger

Last edited:

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
I'm also worried that Nissan is intentionally delaying the Z so they can release Airya first, as was originally intended.

The Airya could drag our Z down, it's not easy to build an EV in the current situation, Nissan should have no issues with a simple vehicle like the Z (compared to manufacturing an EV), so I hope they change their mind and allow the Z to deliver before Airya

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
I'm also worried that Nissan is intentionally delaying the Z so they can release Airya first, as was originally intended.

The Airya could drag our Z down, it's not easy to build an EV in the current situation, Nissan should have no issues with a simple vehicle like the Z (compared to manufacturing an EV), so I hope they change their mind and allow the Z to deliver before Airya
That’s the dream…I hope so too.
Unfortunately everyone’s gone woke…EV is much better publicity than a petrol guzzling Z , even though that’s what true enthusiast like

therumblewagon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CX-5, Elantra N

The Ariya is expected to come out "Late Fall 2022", whereas the Z—as much as we've all seen—remains Spring 2022. That would be a massive blunder if the Z gets delayed ~6 months.

If I were to speculate, I'd think they're trying to gauge Ariya numbers via reservations NOW because of the aforementioned bit about EVs needing more chips. This would give them roughly a year runway before customers expect to see them on lots.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
The Ariya is expected to come out "Late Fall 2022", whereas the Z—as much as we've all seen—remains Spring 2022. That would be a massive blunder if the Z gets delayed ~6 months.

If I were to speculate, I'd think they're trying to gauge Ariya numbers via reservations NOW because of the aforementioned bit about EVs needing more chips. This would give them roughly a year runway before customers expect to see them on lots.
My worry is based on the pre-pandemic Nissan "A to Z" campaign where people were saying the Airya, due in 2021, was to be before the Z. A before Z.
Now, we see finished, production-ready Z's driving around, the Airya is still "vaporware" TBH, so does that mean Nissan is going to allow "Z before A"?

therumblewagon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CX-5, Elantra N
My worry is based on the pre-pandemic Nissan "A to Z" campaign where people were saying the Airya, due in 2021, was to be before the Z. A before Z.
Now, we see finished, production-ready Z's driving around, the Airya is still "vaporware" TBH, so does that mean Nissan is going to allow "Z before A"?
Fair, fair. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if that all got tossed out, or at least aggressively modified due to the pandemic. It seems like at this point, manufacturers are just trying to keep up and build what they can. when they can. Both of the timings for these cars (the Z, Spring 2022 & Ariya, late Fall 2022) were announced in the midst of all this, so I'm inclined to believe that until (and sincerely hope not) we hear otherwise.

And, considering we've seen quite a few test mules out and about lately, like you said, I'd hope we're still on for spring?