New Nissan Z Will Be a 'Dance Partner,' Says Chief Engineer

dddd

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
stinger gt
My guess its simply a typo, engine capacity is calculated from the bore x stroke simple as that.
For the capacity to go up they would have to increased one or both and I sincerely doubt they would have gone to that large expense on what is really a budget up date on what will be the last use of this engine

therumblewagon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CX-5, Elantra N
My guess its simply a typo, engine capacity is calculated from the bore x stroke simple as that.
For the capacity to go up they would have to increased one or both and I sincerely doubt they would have gone to that large expense on what is really a budget up date on what will be the last use of this engine
A typo on the spec sheet? I would be shocked. The amount of eyes that passed over that before it went live probably couldn't be counted on your hands nor feet.

Have the press kit open and just screenshot this - https://usa.nissannews.com/en-US/releases/2023-nissan-z-press-kit

Screen Shot 2021-09-08 at 8.01.34 PM.png

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
A typo? A believable typo would be 2979cc vs. 2997cc. 3042 is way too intentional.

And as others have said, different cylinder head shape and/or piston shape differences could easily explain the mere 45cc displacement difference.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 GT350, 2003 350Z (sold after 200,000 miles)
A typo? A believable typo would be 2979cc vs. 2997cc. 3042 is way too intentional.

And as others have said, different cylinder head shape and/or piston shape differences could easily explain the mere 45cc displacement difference.
I don't think changing the piston or cylinder head shape could change the displacement. It might change the compression ratio, but the displacement is based on the volume swept by the pistons (if you imagine the top of the piston as the border, it will be the same at the top of the stroke or the bottom of the stroke, so any change to the piston will be cancelled out, and the open space at TDC is not counted as displacement since it is not swept volume). Maybe they changed the cylinder lining thickness (used the PTWA like on the GTR and some of the Ford motors) and gained some bore, or maybe slightly changed the stroke. Or maybe it's a mistake, but will be interesting when we get some details.

-T

dddd

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
stinger gt

dddd

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
stinger gt

AS previously explained, eng capacty is simply bore x stroke x number of cylinders, has absolutly nothing to do with cylinder head or piston shape

dddd

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
stinger gt
I don't think changing the piston or cylinder head shape could change the displacement. It might change the compression ratio, but the displacement is based on the volume swept by the pistons (if you imagine the top of the piston as the border, it will be the same at the top of the stroke or the bottom of the stroke, so any change to the piston will be cancelled out, and the open space at TDC is not counted as displacement since it is not swept volume). Maybe they changed the cylinder lining thickness (used the PTWA like on the GTR and some of the Ford motors) and gained some bore, or maybe slightly changed the stroke. Or maybe it's a mistake, but will be interesting when we get some details.

-T
VR30 eng already uses PTWA tech same as GTR

fliplover

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2012 Impala LTZ; '21 Nissan Rogue
Occupation
Engineer
dude really? C'mon man.
Ok. There's being in the minority, then there's me standing all alone in a windswept, barren plain.

Growing up, mechanic friends and family always chastised me whenever I called an engine a motor, so that has stuck with me. In the Navy, we were also taught to differentiate between electric motors and IC engines.

I have humbly learned my lesson, and will strive to be more tolerant in the future.

Last edited:

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
Ok. There's being in the minority, then there's me standing all alone in a windswept, barren plain.

Growing up, mechanic friends and family always chastised me whenever I called an engine a motor, so that has stuck with me. In the Navy, we were also taught to differentiate between electric motors and IC engines.

I have humbly learned my lesson, and will strive to be more tolerant in the future.
thanks for adapting man.

now excuse me while i take a look in my supras engine bay and see if there is a motor in it...