Jay Leno video talks about next Z (Z35 / 240Z?) with Nissan chief designer

MeisterZ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 Burnt Orange 350Z 6spd
Yea totally right. This video is 2.5 years old. Nissan essentially is teasing the next gen Z in this video and they know it. Why do it so early if they had no plans to roll it out by 2015.
You know how there's all these rumors of the next Z going smaller/lighter/more efficient?? Maybe the company realized that they needed to go back to the drawing board and redesign the car to be that way to be competitive and future-proof. So what they were previewing in that video mighta been the original planned car which they since scrapped and the reason we didn't see something soon as promised in the video.

afflicted

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2012 fr-s
I thought from the Leno video that they WERE saying it would be lighter and smaller. Or maybe just my imagination, those sketch board concepts looked like a return to the smaller Fairlady days.

626m3

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
E46 M3
I thought from the Leno video that they WERE saying it would be lighter and smaller. Or maybe just my imagination, those sketch board concepts looked like a return to the smaller Fairlady days.
Yea but since then there have been a lot of new vehicles out and they have a better idea of the competition. I'd rather they take their time and give us a truly exciting car than something designed in 2011 and already behind current competition.

MeisterZ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 Burnt Orange 350Z 6spd
That was extremely early on, the sketch phase, who knows if they even modeled any of these in clay.

Seeing how long these current generation is going for, if that is the refresh cycle they really better future proof it by putting out the lightest, most powerful car that they can within budget.

tetsuo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nissan Maxima
Sorry to necro this thread but I'm wondering if the Z35 design has been locked in for years now or it's been revised since these.

Ranma

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Rusty old Mitsu
Design is usually locked in 3+ years before production. With a concept dropping this year and production probably the following year it is a good bet the next Z is already set in stone. A nip or tuck here maybe but definitely not still considering design proposals since the concept is probably close to what the production version will look like.

280driver

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1975 280Z 5-speed, 2020 Toyota Sequoia TRD Pro
Those look promising. Some with S30 eliments. I'll keep my fingers crosssed that we get something sleek with the long hood/short deck that will still identify it as a Z.

Seong

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 CBR600
Those look promising. Some with S30 eliments. I'll keep my fingers crosssed that we get something sleek with the long hood/short deck that will still identify it as a Z.
+1 I'd actually love it if designers pushed the cabin back even more to give the appearance of a longer hood. Look at the older Z cars in the site's header, it's such a beautiful look!

SPOHN

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
350,G35,G37,370
Occupation
Lineman
I'd love to see a rear transmission. Then we'd be talking.