Jay Leno video talks about next Z (Z35 / 240Z?) with Nissan chief designer

MisterNismo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Totaled 370Z
Just remembered this video from a long while back its Jay Leno visiting Nissan design offices and talking with Nissan Chief Creative Officer Shiro Nakamura about the 240Z and also the next Z car. At the time they said that they'd bring something Z related 'next year' (2013) to celebrate Nissan's 80 year anniversary. Too bad that hasn't happened yet, but hopefully next year then.

What was most interesting is the part they show the graphics board and they show the side profile shape of the Z35.

Also they keep talking about the next car as if its going to be called the 240Z again.

Dantes

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
350Z
I'm surprised more people havent paid attention to this video. These design studios are always chock full of hints and they dont exactly try to hide it here.

There are sketches and renders labeled Z35 fairlady, clearly going back to its 240Z roots.

Here are some still shots:

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg

tetsuo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nissan Maxima
"Exploring new proportion and package"

woohoo!

MRichter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
bmw 325i

I really like that top render above the Fairlady Z design sketches.. It's got a great mix of current Z and old Z styling.

626m3

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
E46 M3

I really like that top render above the Fairlady Z design sketches.. It's got a great mix of current Z and old Z styling.
I think that's a sketch for the current 370z thats why it looks so much like it. Too much fender and too much bulges everywhere for me. If they r going to return to a 240z roots philosophy I think it should look sleeker and slimmed down. Like a grayhound not a bulldog :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Dantes

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
350Z
I don't see any sketches on there that would make a facelift for the new Z. We need something more of a throwback design than ultra modern and overly concept-like.

Seong

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 CBR600
That looks like one of the renders in the other thread so maybe those photoshops are not based on complete vaporware. I like the proportions of it...

Ranma

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Rusty old Mitsu
Did they actually say the little blue sketch was an idea for the next Z? It looks like just a placeholder and they just blurred the lines on the current 370Z to reflect the general proportions of what the car should look like.

Yolo2014

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mustang
Man why did he promise something Z related and instead we have 0 news from Nissan in a couple of years now!

MRichter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
bmw 325i
Maybe that's why he's no longer at Nissan! :D
Dunno where you read that but he's still chief creative officer at Nissan, Infiniti and Datsun.

From Wikipedia:

Shiro Nakamura (born October 1950) is a Japanese car designer and company executive. Nakamura serves as Senior Vice President of Nissan Motor Co. Ltd. Since 2006, Nakamura has been Nissan's Chief Creative Officer.[1] He is Chief Creative Officer of Nissan, Infiniti and Datsun.[2] Known as a hands-on creative, he goes by the nickname "Fingers".[3]

MRichter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
bmw 325i
Really amazing that nothing ever came from this. It's like Nissan had plans to bring out the Z earlier but then changed its mind or something.

chromeX

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
Really amazing that nothing ever came from this. It's like Nissan had plans to bring out the Z earlier but then changed its mind or something.
Yea totally right. This video is 2.5 years old. Nissan essentially is teasing the next gen Z in this video and they know it. Why do it so early if they had no plans to roll it out by 2015.