DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
Great. Buy a Porsche.
1990: Porsche>300ZX ($56k to $78k vs. $28k to $34k original MSRP)
2023: Porsche>New Z ($100k to $216k vs. $40k to $50k)

What's the average price of a Porsche over a Nissan?
Doesn't require big money to get good handling out of a chassis - see the twins.

If Nissan can't make the new Z handle far better than the decades-old 300ZX they should get out of the sports car business.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
Doesn't require big money to get good handling out of a chassis - see the twins.

If Nissan can't make the new Z handle far better than the decades-old 300ZX they should get out of the sports car business.
That wasn't what Nissan meant. Nissan meant relative to their position at the time, or relative to their contemporaries. Not a 2023 car performing like a 1990.
Anyone coming out of ANY ZX car at the time would have been blown away by the Z32. Anyone coming from an older Z car would've had to decide if the heft was worth the speed.
No different than today. The Z is RELATIVELY in the same category as it always has been.
I don't see how comparing ANY Z to ANY 911 has ever been relevant?
Porsche fans would be pissed if some cheap Asian car rained on their parade, and Porsche works hard to give it's customers what they want and keep way ahead of everyone else.

Why do people come in here and compare Porsche to Nissan? I am not sure if you are the same guy, but someone else was saying since a (basically $90K Porsche 718) has ventillated seats, so should a Z. TF are all y'all smoking?

Just buy a Porsche if you want a car that is like a Porsche.

DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
^ Nissan didn't mean anything, the statement I quoted above ("but if the Z34B manages to conjure the feeling of a now-classic, 31-year-old twin-turbo 300ZX when we get a turn behind the wheel, weā€™ll consider that a success") was made by the author of the article, not Nissan.

Re: comparisons, they're made regularly between cars at different price tiers, as anyone following car forums or reading pieces like "best driver's car" will see. They're not always sensible of course (see the above ventilated seats example, not mine btw) and allowances have to be made for cost, but car makers do their best to approach the performance of more expensive "competitors" all the time. I'd be shocked if Nissan didn't benchmark a Cayman, an M2, and a Supra in developing the new Z. The new twins are $10k cheaper than a Z and less than half the cost of a Boxster but a few reviewers have been comparing their handling to that standard.

The point of my original post was that matching the feeling of a 1990s car that was not considered to be a great handling sportscar even at the time seems a low bar for judging the new Z. I'm hopeful it will hold its own in comparisons to the current Supra and maybe even get close to cars like the M2 and base Cayman.

Andaesthetics

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2014 Nissan 370Z Sport Touring
The new Z will feel more like the 370Z, not 300ZX, but hoping chassis tuning is even better, more balanced optimized. We need the EPS to work well too for road feel, important stuff for it to be a ā€˜driverā€™s carā€™
Basically this. I hope no one is expecting a crazy, nimble, track weapon. It will essentially be a quicker 370Z at the end of the day.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
I love how JNC leaned heavily on the Z32 connection.

It means a lot to me, I bought my first new car in 1995, and in the showroom there was a 300ZX TT, and I wanted it so badly. Not happening back then. That 300ZX TT was the pinnacle of ZX, in my mind, and the Z33 and Z34 did nothing for me.
This new Z gives me a chance to finally buy a new TT Z car, and it's why I'm so enthusiastic about the new Z!

jezzza

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ranger Raptor
Occupation
ā€Žā€Ž Engineer
I love how JNC leaned heavily on the Z32 connection.
Same deal here. Imported 300ZXs were very popular in NZ in early 2000s so this is where my nostalgia lives. The 350 & 370 never appealed as much. However I did drive a 2021 Nismo today, incredibly fun car.

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
Same deal here. Imported 300ZXs were very popular in NZ in early 2000s so this is where my nostalgia lives. The 350 & 370 never appealed as much. However I did drive a 2021 Nismo today, incredibly fun car.
I think at the end of the day thatā€™s what most are looking for a fun carā€¦that looks good ?

BJM2021

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW M2
I owned a 90 & 92 300ZX, both twin turbo 5 speeds, they were amazing and the design still looks good today. I never tracked them but thoroughly enjoyed them. It was, in my opinion a very special car in its day, love the interior dash pod style too. Yes things have come a long way since and while I never drove a 350/70, I feel the Z will repeat that along with a very attractive price point. I am also thankful Nissan is bringing this car to market given the bulk of buyers are wanting SUVā€™s and EVā€™s are coming strongā€¦

Houston.RZ34

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
15 Q50 S (3.7) 23 Stingray HTC
Occupation
CIO
Correct. They've all been V6 since the Z31.
Not quite...the Z31 had a RB20DET in Japan - Fairlady Z: 200ZR

The JDM Z31 Lineup was a clusterfuck, stuff like this is what led to near bankruptcy in 1999 and then Carlos Ghosn and CVTs after.

VG20ET: 200Z, 200ZG, 200ZS
RB20DET: 200ZR
VG30DE: 300ZR
VG30ET: 300ZX

Last edited: