bpeckham

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z Performance 6MT Blue/Graphite
PXL_20230520_053744044~2.jpg

I drove my Z from SAN to LAX (and back) today, and I must ask: is the Z bigger on the inside than the outside?

It looks so small from the outside, but It was a very comfortable drive on the 5 and the 405. My wife's SQ5 is broken right now (needs a new coolant pump), so it was the Z or the Hyundai Tucson rental (standing in for the SQ5). I was (finally) able to convince my wife that the Z was the way to go. Even she said afterwards that it was more comfortable and "nicer" than the Tucson would have been.

I think a big part of this is the room inside the Z. For such a small car, it's pretty spacious inside. Granted, I'm 5'10" and my wife is 5'7", so we're not the biggest folks, but the Z felt fine for four hours of SoCal traffic/construction mayhem.

We hit a little bit of stop-and-go on the 405 on the way back, but the Z's 6MT is so smooth it was a breeze.

Also: Now at 980 miles. 😀

Jah_Happy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z (Everest White, Performance, 6MT)
Im actually very curious about this and how it compares to the Supra.

Everyone says the Supra is tiny and feels like a bunker, and the Z is spacious and comfortable. However, when I sat in the Z I immediately thought this thing is tiny lol. Maybe it's because I'm 6'3 and used to driving my STI which is a big family sedan lol. I have deposits down on a Z and Supra and ill take whatever comes in first at this point, but it did get me wondering if only tiny people fit in the Supra. Anyone had experience with both?

OP
OP
bpeckham

bpeckham

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z Performance 6MT Blue/Graphite

Everyone says the Supra is tiny and feels like a bunker, and the Z is spacious and comfortable. However, when I sat in the Z I immediately thought this thing is tiny lol. Maybe it's because I'm 6'3 and used to driving my STI which is a big family sedan lol. I have deposits down on a Z and Supra and ill take whatever comes in first at this point, but it did get me wondering if only tiny people fit in the Supra. Anyone had experience with both?
Don't get me wrong, the Z is absolutely smaller than the SQ5 and the Tucson, but it doesn't feel cramped (again: 5'10", YMMV).

I've heard the same as you about the Supra, but I don't have any first-hand experience with it. I know the Z is near-impossible to find at dealerships. The one I found was a Proto Spec, and they didn't want me sitting in it unless I was a serious buyer. Is it the same for the Supra? Can you go find and sit in one?

Jah_Happy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Don't get me wrong, the Z is absolutely smaller than the SQ5 and the Tucson, but it doesn't feel cramped (again: 5'10", YMMV).

I've heard the same as you about the Supra, but I don't have any first-hand experience with it. I know the Z is near-impossible to find at dealerships. The one I found was a Proto Spec, and they didn't want me sitting in it unless I was a serious buyer. Is it the same for the Supra? Can you go find and sit in one?
Yeah its wild there's actually 3 dealers near me (within 2 hours) with Z's so ive been able to see white, boulder gray, and black in person and sit in them. Unfortunately they are all marked up 20k so just not an option to buy.

The Supra is the opposite, all the dealers near me are selling at msrp and are very accommodating, but they all have a waitlist and getting the exact spec you want is a guessing game. I havent been able to get there in time to sit in one as they are pre sold and the buyer picks it up immediately lol. I think im like 5th or 6th on the waitlist at my closest dealer for a Supra and who knows when they will get a color I like. Its all a shit show.

BurninateZ

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'92 MR2 Turbo, '19 508 GT, '23 Supra GT Manual

Have sat in both the Z and Supra - ditched a Z order in favour of a Supra after the never ending delays. The Supra is definitely a tighter cabin, though there's plenty of space around the driver imo, I don't think fitting would be a problem. It's a bit harder to get in and out of the Supra given the size/height of the door and you sit lower and further towards the rear. It definitely feels like a smaller space

Jah_Happy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Have sat in both the Z and Supra - ditched a Z order in favour of a Supra after the never ending delays. The Supra is definitely a tighter cabin, though there's plenty of space around the driver imo, I don't think fitting would be a problem. It's a bit harder to get in and out of the Supra given the size/height of the door and you sit lower and further towards the rear. It definitely feels like a smaller space
Thanks! Do you daily yours? Im just wondering if it would feel claustrophobic as a daily. I cant even find a used one to sit in around here lol.

BurninateZ

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'92 MR2 Turbo, '19 508 GT, '23 Supra GT Manual
Thanks! Do you daily yours? Im just wondering if it would feel claustrophobic as a daily. I cant even find a used one to sit in around here lol.
I don't have mine yet, it's only just gone into production (manual variant). Yeah its hard to get a feel for without being able to at least sit in one. I daily drove an SW20 MR2 for ~10yrs so I wonder if my perception is skewed, but it didn't feel claustrophobic to me. I think it would be fair to say that the Supra trades a little more practicality / ease of use for a little more sportiness. Both drive really well imo.