Is Nissan really serious about improving the Z's handling?

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 GT350, 2003 350Z (sold after 200,000 miles)
I mentioned this in a similar discussion somewhere, and it has been mentioned above as well, and that is Nissan can do a ton with suspension tuning if they so choose.

Earlier someone mentioned the difference between an M2 and a normal 2 series. For me it’s the difference between a normal Mustang and a GT350.

It is possible to make a significant difference with subtle changes, but the question remains, what does Nissan want? I’m hopeful that the reviews over the years of both the 350 and 370 will convince Nissan to focus on that last 20% of performance. But I’m not necessarily expecting it. It is promising that they’ve mentioned making the car a better dance partner, but it’s not clear that they’ve spent the time needed to develop it to that level.

Very excited to see where they’ve ended up, but trying to keep my expectations low so I can be pleasantly surprised with reviews.

-T

dkmura

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'03 350Z track, '06 350Z SCCA touring racecar
Occupation
Freelance automotive journalist
The other issue not mentioned is how confident is Nissan in tuning the suspension for customers who may not be familiar with RWD dynamics. My Z33 track model has different shocks, springs and swaybars that tune out much of the understeer, but does that make it better for a neophyte? Probably not, as evidenced by the number of wrecked 350Zs over the years.

The new Z will hold even greater risk, so how does Nissan factor this in?

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
My only hope is for those getting into a 400 hp Z off the bat is, Nissan providing more robust traction control, i.e. levels of settings. But based on what I've seen up close, no knobs or switches exist anywhere in the interior. So, good luck to all, easy on power, esp. with cold tires LOL.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 GT350, 2003 350Z (sold after 200,000 miles)
Automakers love understeer, and in some cases it does add a measure of safety. But in many other cases it can make things worse due to the sudden snap oversteer that can occur when the front finally does regain grip and someone has applied lots of steering input in an attempt to fight under steer. I spun a couple times in my 350Z and I had trouble catching and correcting quickly enough to stop it.

The GT350 seems better balanced and has a more advanced traction control system, so I’ve had more luck in that car. I also have way less seat time in it, and I’m older, so I’m also less aggressive which could be a big factor.

I think in many cases a better balanced car ends up being safer because it more predictable and more progressive when it loses traction. Maybe that only holds for the track or autoX, but I hope Nissan is able to get the car a bit better balanced than it has been in the past.

-T

OP
OP
DevonK

DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
I was just reading a piece on Motor Authority by a reviewer invited by Nissan to test drive a fully restored 240Z. He loved the car's communicativeness, and he thought that being asked to drive the car was a good sign that Nissan is aiming to restore that feel to the new Z, which he thought had been missing from the 350 and 370. I sure hope he's right.

OP
OP
DevonK

DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
My only hope is for those getting into a 400 hp Z off the bat is, Nissan providing more robust traction control, i.e. levels of settings. But based on what I've seen up close, no knobs or switches exist anywhere in the interior. So, good luck to all, easy on power, esp. with cold tires LOL.
Not having multi-level TC on a 400 hp RWD car in 2021 is absurd. In fact it should be a criminal offence. If this turns out to be the case, once we get the inevitable Cars and Coffee specials the insurance companies involved should sue Nissan for criminal negligence.

Having never owned a RWD car, or anything over 200 hp, I could really use that graduated control. Luckily my first driving years were spent piloting my dad's RWD cars, a 911, a 300ZX, and a vintage GTO (that GTO was a traction nightmare).

Last edited:

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
I was just reading a piece on Motor Authority by a reviewer invited by Nissan to test drive a fully restored 240Z. He loved the car's communicativeness, and he thought that being asked to drive the car was a good sign that Nissan is aiming to restore that feel to the new Z, which he thought had been missing from the 350 and 370. I sure hope he's right.
Well I don't think the new Z will handle for feel like a 240Z. Before this current Z I drove and tracked a 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata, the 240Z feels so nimble and light like the MSM. The new Z will drive more like a 370Z since chassis is basically the same, plus a much heavier car than any 240Z. I just hope they tune it to be neutral with slight oversteer built in, and caster for great turn in. These things can be done by careful suspension tuning on the stagger setup. I will run square setup on track, get more life out of the rubber, so tuning will be slightly different.

OP
OP
DevonK

DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
Well I don't think the new Z will handle for feel like a 240Z. ....
Agreed, that would be unrealistic given the added avoirdupuis. But it's possible to make sportscars more feelsome than a 370Z without having to go all lightweight. The Z should be lighter than the 3670 lb Cayman S, and that car is a lot more communicative and accurate at the limit than the 370Z.

Donalex

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1995 Nissan 300ZX
The Z should be lighter than the 3670 lb Cayman S, and that car is a lot more communicative and accurate at the limit than the 370Z.
It's also mid/rear engined, a totally different driving experience.

orclean1

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
civic
Cayman S weighs 3100 lbs. not any where near 3670 lbs. as you stated , Emira will weigh in at 3100 lbs , Z will be a pig at 3600 lbs

OP
OP
DevonK

DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
Cayman S weighs 3100 lbs. not any where near 3670 lbs. as you stated , Emira will weigh in at 3100 lbs , Z will be a pig at 3600 lbs
I see now on checking again that the figure I quoted was the gross weight, not the curb weight. I did think it seemed high.