How hard will it be to get a Z?

Evenflow80

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
350z, Honda Civic SI
I made this same topic on another Z forum and got a wide range of opinions, so curious what you fine folk on this forum think.

We are all really excited about the new Z, but realistically speaking, with the chip shortages , dealer markups, demand for cars , not to mention the hype behind the Z , and the fact thst nissan probably won't make a ton of them since its a niche market , how should we temper our expectations to be more realistic?

No pre-orders, two trim levels, six colors, 3 interior colors , on top of probably ridiculous dealer markups because some suckers out there WILL pay $60k or more to be thr first to get it.... its such an uphill battle to not only find a Z for sale, never mind getting it in the trim and colors you want.

I'm just imagining at least well into 2023 checking websites and calling the same 3 or 4 dealers daily to ask if they are getting any Zs, only to be told no no no no.

I hope I'm wrong, but I just get s feeling most of us won't even SEE a Z for sale for at least a year , much less be able to buy one

What do you guys think? Was there as much hype for the 370z when it came out and you were able to get one right away?

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
Just to be clear, for those of us in the USA, pre-order does very little to help most of us out.
"Pre-order" does not guarantee a price.
With the current situation, "pre-order" means that a dealer will call you and say "hey your car is on the way, ready to come do the paperwork on it?" great, then when you get there, $20K ADM (I'm not kidding, you watch....) they will do that to you for 3 reasons:
1. They are allowed to, "pre-order" is not a price-locked contract anywhere in the USA.
2. While it'd be nice if you accepted the ADM, they could care less if you walk away.
3. Once the car ends up in the dealer for sale, they will get their $20K ADM, no matter how long it takes (won't take long) and they will have at least one Z to show.

To answer OP:
-Production is going to be tight. Even if Nissan can build a decent number of Zs, cars put up for sale in 2022 won't only face demand from those who specifically want that vehicle (Z enthusiasts or others who specifically want the new Z), it will also face demand from other frustrated shoppers just trying to find something, anything, new to buy. So, if for some crazy reason Nissan built 20K 2023 Zs for US market, they'd all be snatched up immediately.

-Beware of dealer groups. This is when several Nissan dealers in your area are all owned by the same company. If you can't get a deal you are comfortable with, going to the next dealer across town may not help if both dealers are owned by the same company. The computer system will have you and the offered deal in it, and due to corporate policy, they won't offer a better deal. Call it "price fixing".

-you need to have an honest look at where the pandemic is heading. The only way things get back to anywhere near "normal" is if EVERY Nation in this world just decides to accept the risk and get back to "normal". That's not going to happen. The COVID is constantly out-maneuvering every effort to contain it. Sorry to bring this up, but look at it objectively, it ain't going anywhere anytime soon, and every nation will respond differently to it which will continue to impact the global supply chain.
I think it'd be best if most people plan on another full 2 years of significant issues.

Honestly, I am worried the issues will continue long enough for the new Z to run into regulatory issues, and not enough could have been built before regulations kill the model line.

BTW, I truly hope I am wrong and I have to eat my words. I am so ready to travel to ANY of the 48 US states to buy a Z at MSRP if I have to.

OP
OP

Evenflow80

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
350z, Honda Civic SI
Just to be clear, for those of us in the USA, pre-order does very little to help most of us out.
"Pre-order" does not guarantee a price.
With the current situation, "pre-order" means that a dealer will call you and say "hey your car is on the way, ready to come do the paperwork on it?" great, then when you get there, $20K ADM (I'm not kidding, you watch....) they will do that to you for 3 reasons:
1. They are allowed to, "pre-order" is not a price-locked contract anywhere in the USA.
2. While it'd be nice if you accepted the ADM, they could care less if you walk away.
3. Once the car ends up in the dealer for sale, they will get their $20K ADM, no matter how long it takes (won't take long) and they will have at least one Z to show.

To answer OP:
-Production is going to be tight. Even if Nissan can build a decent number of Zs, cars put up for sale in 2022 won't only face demand from those who specifically want that vehicle (Z enthusiasts or others who specifically want the new Z), it will also face demand from other frustrated shoppers just trying to find something, anything, new to buy. So, if for some crazy reason Nissan built 20K 2023 Zs for US market, they'd all be snatched up immediately.

-Beware of dealer groups. This is when several Nissan dealers in your area are all owned by the same company. If you can't get a deal you are comfortable with, going to the next dealer across town may not help if both dealers are owned by the same company. The computer system will have you and the offered deal in it, and due to corporate policy, they won't offer a better deal. Call it "price fixing".

-you need to have an honest look at where the pandemic is heading. The only way things get back to anywhere near "normal" is if EVERY Nation in this world just decides to accept the risk and get back to "normal". That's not going to happen. The COVID is constantly out-maneuvering every effort to contain it. Sorry to bring this up, but look at it objectively, it ain't going anywhere anytime soon, and every nation will respond differently to it which will continue to impact the global supply chain.
I think it'd be best if most people plan on another full 2 years of significant issues.

Honestly, I am worried the issues will continue long enough for the new Z to run into regulatory issues, and not enough could have been built before regulations kill the model line.

BTW, I truly hope I am wrong and I have to eat my words. I am so ready to travel to ANY of the 48 US states to buy a Z at MSRP if I have to.
What regulatory issues ? I live in CA and supposedly by 2030 all cars will need to be electric or something like that

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
What regulatory issues ? I live in CA and supposedly by 2030 all cars will need to be electric or something like that
They may push those EV mandates back a bit. The EV mandates are a bit too aggressive.

However, any upcoming emission and/or safety goals could put the Z out. I'm not aware of any yet, but lately, around the world, many car models have died this way recently.

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
I don’t know…it’s hard to say because realistically we don’t know what the dealers have been told.
Here in Aus many dealers already have 10plus order down for the Z, and then last week anyone who has ever enquired about it through Nissan Aus got an email from their closest dealer, stating you can put your money down now and orders will be filled in order of date.
I can’t imagine that a dealer would get more than 10 initially especially in Aus, so the question has to be …why spruke up more orders?
Do they know something we don’t? Will there be lots on hand…who knows.
All we can do is watch and wait

jezzza

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ranger Raptor
Occupation
‎‎ Engineer
I think people are severely overestimating the hype. We only have 700ish members here, the other forum has much less. Obviously the vast majority of society don't hang out on internet forums but... compared to social interest in other vehicles we're tiny.

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
I think people are severely overestimating the hype. We only have 700ish members here, the other forum has much less. Obviously the vast majority of society don't hang out on internet forums but... compared to social interest in other vehicles we're tiny.
Perhaps…it still doesn’t explain double digit orders at dealers…I know my dealer is up to 9 …and some of the Sydney dealers more

relyt

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Jeep Rubicon
Occupation
CNC Machinist
Hopefully not bad by the time I'm ready to buy. I'm planning to get one for myself for my 40th birthday, so I have a little over 2 years to go. Maybe the Nismo will be out by then too.

ZDreamer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Subaru
W/ the used Supra not losing any values from MSRP, and sales have been in increasing trend from 2019-2021, the Z will face a stiff competition.

Anybody know when Nissan will reveal the MSRP?

ZDreamer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Subaru
Yup! echo chamber!

OP
OP

Evenflow80

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
350z, Honda Civic SI
Just to be clear, there will be no "pre-orders".
I didn't even know such a thing existed for cars. I always wondered what the point was of these "car builder" tools on automaker websites. Like I'd build my perfect car and the end it gave me a Google search result for nearest dealers. Just generic results .

Has it been confirmed there are no pre orders ? I was on the Q&A thread with Nissan exec and he said he has no info regarding that and it will be announced soon?

OP
OP

Evenflow80

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
350z, Honda Civic SI
I hope you're right

OP
OP

Evenflow80

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
350z, Honda Civic SI
W/ the used Supra not losing any values from MSRP, and sales have been in increasing trend from 2019-2021, the Z will face a stiff competition.

Anybody know when Nissan will reveal the MSRP?
Wasn't the supra a flop ? Mainly due to lack of manual transmission (massive mistake by Toyota in my opinion)