How do we completely disable VDC/Traction Control?

zRedBaron

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2011 Nissan 370z, 1988 Nissan 300ZX SS
PFA - A couple shots of my new Z at Willow Springs International Raceway during ZCON 2023 in So Cal.
1705828129057.png

1705828249552.png

If you're new to owning a modern Z you may not know that the VDC button does not completely disable traction control on your car.

The 370z required splicing a wire/switch to a yaw sensor, which would allow you to completely disable VDC/TC leaving only the ABS active and functioning.

I've seen and read that you can do the same with the RZ34 and the VR30 equipped Q50/60 but it's a little different.

Method 1: Some claim you can hold the VDC button down for like 10 seconds and that should do it. After doing so you will notice that toggling the button does nothing and does not indicate if VDC is enabled or disabled.

Method 2: With your foot on the brake pedal, reach down under the dash to where the brake pedal is and find the brake light switch on the pedal assembly. Hold it down for about 10 seconds or so until a light on the dash turns on.

Disclaimer: I DO NOT recommend inexperienced drivers or drivers who are unfamiliar with handling a car at the limits of traction to try this.

I'm asking this in the tracking section of this site because drivers who are seeking to get the most out of the car are going to need to disable the nannys. Nothing kills your lap times like an invasive OEM TC system ;)

rocksandblues

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GL450, m3, e90, GLC300, Zupra, C280
Occupation
taco bell

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
@zRedBaron I'll see you sometime, come out with Speed Ventures, local track for us.

Mr&Mrs

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
RZ34
I have not messed with the brake pedal switch yet, but I watched a Youtube video that says even doing that it sometimes still kicks in. Not sure how I could mess up holding the button in but when I have tried nothing happens. So I would also like to figure this out.

OP
OP
zRedBaron

zRedBaron

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
@zRedBaron I'll see you sometime, come out with Speed Ventures, local track for us.
I missed pretty much all of 2023 with Nissan Challenge this year, one way or another I'll be back either in my 370z or the RZ34. If I'm not out there driving I'll probably be coaching Mike Zuniga, he has a supercharged automatic 370z with a black and green livery.

OP
OP
zRedBaron

zRedBaron

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I have not messed with the brake pedal switch yet, but I watched a Youtube video that says even doing that it sometimes still kicks in. Not sure how I could mess up holding the button in but when I have tried nothing happens. So I would also like to figure this out.
I'll take a video or photo of it, my gut tells me this might be the surest way to disable VDC because the light that shows up on the dash is the same light I get when I flip the yaw sensor kill switch in my 370z.

Mr&Mrs

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
RZ34
I'm sorry I just read my post again and it is confusing. I meant when I hold the VDC button in it doesn't seem to do anything. The brake pedal method does work from what I know, but not sure if it stays off, or actually turns everything off. Again this is according to a YouTube video. I have not personally tried yet. A picture or video of the process wouldn't hurt though to have as a resource for the forum. :)