Health & fitness thread

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
I
Did Keto 2017-2020, dropped 152 lbs in the process. (Wife taught me how to do it after she dropped over 100 herself 2015-2017)

2020, Fresh produce and quality meat got kinda hard to find for a bit.....ate a ton of boxed bullshit and gained 50 lbs back by 2022.

Got back on the Keto Wagon in 2022, dropped 45 lbs but I wasn't following through with the fiber and water requirements this time - Gave myself diverticulitis a month ago......it wasn't treated properly and a puncture was discovered in my colon because I went back to the ER after 2 wks (I was still feeling like death)

Scared the living holy hell out of my wife, daughter and myself - gotta drop Keto.

Now I'm doing things the old fashioned way.......eat less, do more

Wife ordered a tonal and a treadmill, gonna create our own home gym.
n the end it always comes down to that…eat less, do more.
Very unfortunate it’s not the other way around 🤣

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 Evo IX, 2008 RHD Wrangler
Occupation
Mail Carrier
I'm a big fan of doing 5x5 lifts. I haven't done shit for lifting in a while but when I was big into it, that was my jam.

My diet has always been complete shit but when I'm lifting it doesn't matter what I eat. I'm always hungry, always eating and dropping mad weight.

Donalex

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1995 Nissan 300ZX
Gave myself diverticulitis a month ago......it wasn't treated properly and a puncture was discovered in my colon because I went back to the ER after 2 wks (I was still feeling like death)

Scared the living holy hell out of my wife, daughter and myself - gotta drop Keto.
Diverticulitis is no joke. That puncture in your colon introduced toxic bile into your body and it usually ends in death.

My wife just went through a four day hospital stay with it, but no puncture, thank God.

So glad you got well from that.

Last edited:

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
Diverticulitis is no joke. That puncture in your colon introduced toxic bile into your body and it usually ends in death.

My wife just went through a four day hospital stay with it, but no puncture, thank God.

So glad to got well from that.
My mum suffers from it and I have just been diagnosed with early onset of it …it is very serious, and people need to treat it as such and take extra care if they have it
I’m glad your wife is ok…water drink plenty of it it, helps flush the system

fliplover

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2012 Impala LTZ; '21 Nissan Rogue
Occupation
Engineer
Did Keto 2017-2020, dropped 152 lbs in the process. (Wife taught me how to do it after she dropped over 100 herself 2015-2017)

2020, Fresh produce and quality meat got kinda hard to find for a bit.....ate a ton of boxed bullshit and gained 50 lbs back by 2022.

Got back on the Keto Wagon in 2022, dropped 45 lbs but I wasn't following through with the fiber and water requirements this time - Gave myself diverticulitis a month ago......it wasn't treated properly and a puncture was discovered in my colon because I went back to the ER after 2 wks (I was still feeling like death)

Now I'm doing things the old fashioned way.......eat less, do more

Wife ordered a tonal and a treadmill, gonna create our own home gym.
Due to various injuries, I have spent more time than I care to admit taking opioids for pain management. Because of the side effects, I've developed a healthy appreciation for stool softeners. They also come in handy when doing keto.

OP
OP
jdm-rhd

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
sweets is my achilles heel...it doesn't help that there's a dairy queen, braums or sonic every couple miles.

what are you guys doing to curb your intake? got some various atkins snacks, but man they are expensive!

Haste

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Civic Type R, '09 335i, '23 Kona N
I've never had issues with weight, but here's some stuff that's worked for me when I was trying to maintain a certain weight or shred a few lbs. Most I think are pretty obvious.

Get enough sleep, drink a lot of water, cut down on soda, sweets and garbage/food that has little to no nutritional value. Walk, run, swim, lift weights; exercise when you have some free time. I know people that have just cut out soda (or still drink some but only the zero sugar stuff), drank more water and started taking walks more frequently that have lost a pretty good amount of weight in a short period of time.

At 38 I can still pretty much eat whatever I want but I really no longer crave sweets or candy anymore. I eat a lot of Chickfila salads at work, and even with fried chicken instead of grilled it's a hell of a lot better than what I would get at other fast food places. I usually eat beef jerky if I'm still a little hungry throughout the rest of the work day. We pretty much cook dinner during the week, mostly meals with rice, beans, steak, chicken and vegetables. Not really a strict diet or anything overly healthy, but also not eating burgers and fries every night. On the weekends is when we'll go out to restaurants and not worry so much about what we're eating.

Soda is my kryptonite. A while back I went over a year without drinking any and pretty much lived off of just water. Something changed around the time that covid started and ever since I just feel tired all the time. I worked from home for over a year straight during that time, but took a new job last year and started drinking 2-3 cans of soda a day again when I go into the office, just to make it through the day. I haven't had a sip of coffee in over 20 years. I usually drink 2-3 17 oz bottles of water at work though and take 15 minute breaks twice to walk around the building. It probably ends up being a couple miles.

I'm actually trying to gain a little weight right now and am back to exercising and lifting weights in our gym at home a few days a week. Getting to where it's more and more frequent and I'm definitely starting to feel stronger and less tired all the time. Whether it's eating better or exercising, doing it in moderation and easing back into it has worked best for me and made me less likely to give up on it. If you're eating like crap and not exercising at all, then maybe don't try to fix both problems over night. Pick one of them to focus on first and once you have a routine with that then you can slowly work in the other.

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
I've never had issues with weight, but here's some stuff that's worked for me when I was trying to maintain a certain weight or shred a few lbs. Most I think are pretty obvious.

Get enough sleep, drink a lot of water, cut down on soda, sweets and garbage/food that has little to no nutritional value. Walk, run, swim, lift weights; exercise when you have some free time. I know people that have just cut out soda (or still drink some but only the zero sugar stuff), drank more water and started taking walks more frequently that have lost a pretty good amount of weight in a short period of time.

At 38 I can still pretty much eat whatever I want but I really no longer crave sweets or candy anymore. I eat a lot of Chickfila salads at work, and even with fried chicken instead of grilled it's a hell of a lot better than what I would get at other fast food places. I usually eat beef jerky if I'm still a little hungry throughout the rest of the work day. We pretty much cook dinner during the week, mostly meals with rice, beans, steak, chicken and vegetables. Not really a strict diet or anything overly healthy, but also not eating burgers and fries every night. On the weekends is when we'll go out to restaurants and not worry so much about what we're eating.

Soda is my kryptonite. A while back I went over a year without drinking any and pretty much lived off of just water. Something changed around the time that covid started and ever since I just feel tired all the time. I worked from home for over a year straight during that time, but took a new job last year and started drinking 2-3 cans of soda a day again when I go into the office, just to make it through the day. I haven't had a sip of coffee in over 20 years. I usually drink 2-3 17 oz bottles of water at work though and take 15 minute breaks twice to walk around the building. It probably ends up being a couple miles.

I'm actually trying to gain a little weight right now and am back to exercising and lifting weights in our gym at home a few days a week. Getting to where it's more and more frequent and I'm definitely starting to feel stronger and less tired all the time. Whether it's eating better or exercising, doing it in moderation and easing back into it has worked best for me and made me less likely to give up on it. If you're eating like crap and not exercising at all, then maybe don't try to fix both problems over night. Pick one of them to focus on first and once you have a routine with that then you can slowly work in the other.
Sorry to be sexist…but you guys seem to lose weight so much easier than us ladies.
As I said …I work three days a week as a merchandiser so I literally am walking and lifting (think displays ) 6 hours on each of those three days. I also own an optometry business with my husband ( although he is the optometrist) so i do orders and deal with reps ect…and I work with a soccer 6 a side comp, mostly admin
On top of that, I walk my two dogs every day except Sunday, and on Mondays I walk at least an hour with a good friend…plus the house work.
I have limited my calorie intake to 800 a day ….and still I am lucky to lose a kilo a week.
I have lost. 5kg, I want to lose another 15 which is what I was when I first met my husband 25 years ago. I’m not naive, part of the reason for losing so much is knowing as soon as I start eating again, I will gain 5kgs.

I’m only just outside the ideal Body mass index (5kgs) ….so it’s not an absolute must, but I want to wear nice things again, I want to enjoy myself when I go on a cruise and not have to worry about weight, and I want to feel good in myself…as well as the health benefits

It’s hard, and depressing being on a diet, hopefully it will be worthwhile

But meanwhile my husband can just give up one of his snacks and go for a bike ride…and within weeks he has reached his target

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 Evo IX, 2008 RHD Wrangler
Occupation
Mail Carrier
Probably the biggest piece of advice I ever got regarding fat loss... Abs are made in the kitchen. Always been curious to see what kind of progress I could make lifting heavy AND having a proper diet. I'm just entirely too lazy to divide out and count macros.

Houston.RZ34

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
15 Q50 S (3.7) 23 Stingray HTC
Occupation
CIO
Had major surgery Nov 8th, I'm short 1/2 a colon now (I got headers done lol) - No more diverticulitis!

Prolly the lowest weight I've been in 20 years now.

Tonal is here but I'm on the sidelines for 6-8 wks (this is week 3 now), Caught a Bowflex T22 treadmill for 50% off on Black Friday.

I'm following the middle age playbook to a T (Chapter 1, get in shape as much as you can)

indio22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'72 Rover S3, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
COVID messed up my health. Not the COVID virus, but the enforced response in my area, to irrational fear of COVID. It shut down my family's globe trotting, race running, active lifestyle. We even got threatened with arrest at one point, just for swimming by ourselves in Lake Michigan. COVID forced a "shut-in lifestyle" on my family. The irony is, the people in my area who had little to fear over COVID due to their demographic, could in the end get taken down by their sedentary, overeating boozing response to COVID! Am I bitter - you bet I am, lol.

pakmanz35

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2012 Infiniti G37xS
In my late 30's now and this has been my diet for the last 10 years or so:

red meat, eggs, egg white, tuna, salmon, whey, chicken

rice, potatoes, oats, berries, banana

whole milk, olive oil, butter, ghee

Full body weight lifting 3 days a week, cardio on off days (10 minute walks after each meal and cardio bike), and I try to sleep by 10:30pm. I feel better than when I was in my 20's.