OP
OP

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
Are you in a rural area?
The situation you describe above is very different from what you implied in your comment earlier.
You made it sound like you had an order on a Z at another dealership, not that you are just shopping around?
Look…you don’t agree with us…we get it
We don’t agree with you…leave it there
Out of curiosity are you a dealer?
By the way I own a business exactly like that. People come and get their eyes tested all the time, try on glasses, then leave with their script to buy elsewhere….

Edit…you called me mate, I am no one’s mate, I am a female and do not appreciate the condescending term

peter

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z, Qashqai
Occupation
Metallurgist
Still don't get ya sorry... What does your gender have to do with anything?

I could be wrong here, but dealers aren't 'given' anything... They have to buy them, albeit at reduced costs.
They aren't Nissan Australia. They have to pay all the costs associated with people driving their demo cars, registration, fuel, insurance, cleaning, maintenance and labour costs.

Imagine going to any other profession and asking for their service for free, because you currently use one of their competitors...

Personally, if I found out that someone wasted ~2 hours of my time as a salesperson with absolutely no intention of buying anything from me, I'd be pissed.
Like it or not this is how the world of sales works, these costs are factored in, no different from buying a car or a TV, you may go to Harvey Norman to physically see and feel a product you want but have actually already placed an order at Bing Lee which doesn't have the item in stock.
I've worked in sales and often spent time quoting jobs that we knew we wouldn't get as customers were shopping around as I said that's part of the job working in sales.
I'll leave it at that now as this appears to be a touchy subject for some.

Proto Z

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi SQ7
Look…you don’t agree with us…we get it
We don’t agree with you…leave it there
Out of curiosity are you a dealer?
By the way I own a business exactly like that. People come and get their eyes tested all the time, try on glasses, then leave with their script to buy elsewhere….

Edit…you called me mate, I am no one’s mate, I am a female and do not appreciate the condescending term
I'm honestly baffled why you are getting your back up here.
Honestly don't care what you guys do :)

I just find it interesting to hear where people draw the line!

Reactions: Mud

jezzza

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ranger Raptor
Occupation
‎‎ Engineer
How do you attract customers who already have orders with other dealerships? I don't think anyone is going to cancel an order with a dealership to sign with another... Wouldn't they lose their place?
I can't work out if you're intentionally trolling or not..

Retail outlets aim to attract new customers. Coles don't ban me from walking around their stores because I'm a Woolworths customer. If handing someone keys for half an hour leads to a future sale, directly or indirectly, it's money well spent.

Proto Z

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi SQ7
Like it or not this is how the world of sales works, these costs are factored in, no different from buying a car or a TV, you may go to Harvey Norman to physically see and feel a product you want but have actually already placed an order at Bing Lee which doesn't have the item in stock.
I've worked in sales and often spent time quoting jobs that we knew we wouldn't get as customers were shopping around as I said that's part of the job working in sales.
I'll leave it at that now as this appears to be a touchy subject for some.
Yeah that is all fair. Also wasn't specifically meaning to call you out, just got drawn into defending my personal opinion... Think that might be about the third time here now lol

FWIW I think it's admirable that you were honest. Hope you get behind the wheel soon!

Proto Z

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi SQ7
I can't workout if you're intentionally trolling or not..

Retail outlets aim to attract new customers. Coles don't ban me from walking around their stores because I'm a Woolworths customer. If handing someone keys for half an hour leads to a future sale, directly or indirectly, it's money well spent.
No, not at all.
Shopping around is one thing, and I'm all for it. But if you've literally bought something already from one shop, but go in test it in another shop... Well I think that is not cool.

As I said above though, you do you.

Oh maybe one point of difference, I don't think I've ever just been given the keys to a demo to drive off. Half the time a salesperson would come with me, and I guess at a bare minimum they have to write it up (insurance/infringements etc). Not quite window shopping, but again, agree to disagree?

peter

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z, Qashqai
Occupation
Metallurgist
Yeah that is all fair. Also wasn't specifically meaning to call you out, just got drawn into defending my personal opinion... Think that might be about the third time here now lol

FWIW I think it's admirable that you were honest. Hope you get behind the wheel soon!
We are all after the same thing here, to get our cars as soon as possible

OP
OP

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
No, not at all.
Shopping around is one thing, and I'm all for it. But if you've literally bought something already from one shop, but go in test it in another shop... Well I think that is not cool.

As I said above though, you do you.

Oh maybe one point of difference, I don't think I've ever just been given the keys to a demo to drive off. Half the time a salesperson would come with me, and I guess at a bare minimum they have to write it up (insurance/infringements etc). Not quite window shopping, but again, agree to disagree?
Like I said…I literally own a business where people do this.
I don’t get upset, it’s part of owning a business. You do it in the hopes of showing you are great with customer service, and even if they have already committed elsewhere that they will come back next time…and you know what, a lot do.

I wouldn’t be going back to that dealer , offering no service.
Maybe someone lives nearby and would use their service department….not anymore

As to test driving, I took the mx 5 out for a spin, by myself.
They take your licence for insurance, and keep your keys so you don’t steal it. But they are more than happy to let you test drive it, even after mentioning I had a deposit down for the Z

Last edited:

Proto Z

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi SQ7
Like I said…I literally own a business where people do this.
I don’t get upset, it’s part of owning a business. You do it in the hopes of showing you are great with customer service, and even if they have already committed elsewhere that they will come back next time…and you know what, a lot do.

I wouldn’t be going back to that dealer , offering no service.
Maybe someone lives nearby and would use their service department….not anymore

As to test driving, I took the mx 5 out for a spin, by myself.
They take your licence for insurance, and keep your keys so you don’t steal it. But they are more than happy to let you test drive it, even after mentioning I had a deposit down for the Z
Sheesh.. and I get accused of trolling :-(

What happened to not changing each other's minds?

Last edited:
OP
OP

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
Sheesh.. and I get accused of trolling :-(
I’m debating…not attacking.

I’m offering facts, and you offer them back.
That’s how a debate works …I offered my real life experience in a business I own, and in sales

The only thing I got upset about was the “mate”

Finally it’s true, dealers pay for a demo, but they do so at a greatly reduced price…the reason for that is an agreement that they will use the car to promote their product to the population at large, not be kept at a dealers home.

That is the main point I was trying to get to.
I too got drawn into responding, that’s it for me …I’ll let it rest

Proto Z

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi SQ7
I’m debating…not attacking.

I’m offering facts, and you offer them back.
That’s how a debate works …I offered my real life experience in a business I own, and in sales

The only thing I got upset about was the “mate”

Finally it’s true, dealers pay for a demo, but they do so at a greatly reduced price…the reason for that is an agreement that they will use the car to promote their product to the population at large, not be kept at a dealers home.

That is the main point I was trying to get to.
I too got drawn into responding, that’s it for me …I’ll let it rest
All good, I hear you loud and clear.

Proto Z

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi SQ7
Actually wondering if anyone is planning on wrapping or ceramic coating their Aussie z's?
Especially yellow ones...

I have it booked in for a protective wrap at end of October, but have been thinking about a satin/mat finish. Haven't seen yellow in person to decide yet, but was impressed with the white one - lots of pearl, which would come up nice under a satin finish...

jezzza

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ranger Raptor
Occupation
‎‎ Engineer
Oh maybe one point of difference, I don't think I've ever just been given the keys to a demo to drive off.
Interesting.. Polar opposite here. Dealers for BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Toyota, Hyundai and just last Saturday Nissan (all in Brisbane) scanned my licence then handed me the keys.

OP
OP

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
Actually wondering if anyone is planning on wrapping or ceramic coating their Aussie z's?
Especially yellow ones...

I have it booked in for a protective wrap at end of October, but have been thinking about a satin/mat finish. Haven't seen yellow in person to decide yet, but was impressed with the white one - lots of pearl, which would come up nice under a satin finish...
No…I am getting a yellow coupe and will not be getting it coated.
We spoke to a friend that deals in repairs etc, and he stated that they can be detrimental, and a good old hand polish does just a good of a job at keeping the paint work spick and span.
He stated that if your in a small bingle, trying to repair the damage is more labour intensive and therefore more expensive as you would need to remove the ceramic coat first, and then reapply, and as it will be reapplied in one section it will never been the same as first applied in one go

Just keep it garaged when not in use, and use a good quality polish twice to three times a year

peter

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z, Qashqai
Occupation
Metallurgist
No…I am getting a yellow coupe and will not be getting it coated.
We spoke to a friend that deals in repairs etc, and he stated that they can be detrimental, and a good old hand polish does just a good of a job at keeping the paint work spick and span.
He stated that if your in a small bingle, trying to repair the damage is more labour intensive and therefore more expensive as you would need to remove the ceramic coat first, and then reapply, and as it will be reapplied in one section it will never been the same as first applied in one go

Just keep it garaged when not in use, and use a good quality polish twice to three times a year
Agree with you, have just used good quality washes and polish/wax and my previous 370z looked like showroom finish after 9 years not fully convinced about ceramic coatings yet.
Anyone thought about what type of window tinting they may get.