Ali023

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Nissan z performance 6MT
performance z 6 speed
which full bolt on parts do you recommend to gain max hp and tq out of stock turbos and internals safely. which exhaust set ups you guys have ? cooling set ups ?
I was thinking of z1 cat back exhaust resonated, with ams downpipes
ams cold air intakes
turbosmart bov
ams stage 2 high pressure fuel pump for e85
ams stage 1 direct injectors
ams flex fuel kit with fuel filter.
ecutek tuning
please correct me if I need something else or if the parts are not necessary etc.
do you have similar set ups ?
thanks

PriZ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'05 G35, '92 G20, '23 Nissan Z
Realistically if you're worried about "safely" tuning the car, you'll stay away from flex fuel setups. It will wear stuff down faster even if you retrofit the parts you listed.

With that caveat out there, you'll likely need an ams high pressure fuel pump (HPFP) sensor as well for the new fuel pump, so don't forget that. It's this: https://www.amsperformance.com/prod...q60-vr30-red-alpha-high-pressure-fuel-sensor/. AMS advised Dustin Williams and his team to use one after similar fueling upgrades here:

They cover their fueling system in this video:

The only main difference is they also added the new fuel rail, so maybe you can get away without the sensor. I'd call AMS and ask them directly.

Also, before trying to push a lot more power, I'd pay attention to cooling. Since it looks like you like the brand, AMS has a great set of intercoolers as well as a heat exchanger that I'd look at before any of the fueling stuff. The stock cooling is fine for stock, but not once you start modding heavily.

Don't underestimate good cooling on a turbo setup. You list cold air intakes, which are good, but you need more than that if it's a boosted engine. On turbo cars, it's the intercoolers that primarily keep the air being delivered to the engine cool. You'll get power post-tune just by beefing that up.
(For reference, it goes CAI -> turbo -> intercooler -> engine).

Disclaimer on all of the above. I'm not a professional, just another enthusiast with some modding experience. Definitely consult a professional tuner if you're unsure about how to proceed.

OP
OP
Ali023

Ali023

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Realistically if you're worried about "safely" tuning the car, you'll stay away from flex fuel setups. It will wear stuff down faster even if you retrofit the parts you listed.

With that caveat out there, you'll likely need an ams high pressure fuel pump (HPFP) sensor as well for the new fuel pump, so don't forget that. It's this: https://www.amsperformance.com/prod...q60-vr30-red-alpha-high-pressure-fuel-sensor/. AMS advised Dustin Williams and his team to use one after similar fueling upgrades here:

They cover their fueling system in this video:

The only main difference is they also added the new fuel rail, so maybe you can get away without the sensor. I'd call AMS and ask them directly.

Also, before trying to push a lot more power, I'd pay attention to cooling. Since it looks like you like the brand, AMS has a great set of intercoolers as well as a heat exchanger that I'd look at before any of the fueling stuff. The stock cooling is fine for stock, but not once you start modding heavily.

Don't underestimate good cooling on a turbo setup. You list cold air intakes, which are good, but you need more than that if it's a boosted engine. On turbo cars, it's the intercoolers that primarily keep the air being delivered to the engine cool. You'll get power post-tune just by beefing that up.
(For reference, it goes CAI -> turbo -> intercooler -> engine).

Disclaimer on all of the above. I'm not a professional, just another enthusiast with some modding experience. Definitely consult a professional tuner if you're unsure about how to proceed.
Thank you for the info 🙏🏽🙏🏽. Helped me out a lot. Will deff talk to my tuner.

TheRoyalStig

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
??
In the same vein for anyone that knows a bit better, if not doing anything too crazy would upgrading the intercoolers but skipping the upgraded heat exchanger be good enough? They will still make a difference with the stock heat exchanger yea?

OP
OP
Ali023

Ali023

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
In the same vein for anyone that knows a bit better, if not doing anything too crazy would upgrading the intercoolers but skipping the upgraded heat exchanger be good enough? They will still make a difference with the stock heat exchanger yea?
I’m on the same boat idk if you have to upgrade both not sure haha

OP
OP
Ali023

Ali023

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
so update, this is my current list of mods to eventually get. full bolt on, e85, ecutek tune on stock turbos.

ams heat exchanger
turbosmart bov kiompact dual port vr25
z1 carbon fiber cold air intake system
z1 cat back touring exhaust paired with either z1 race cats or ams downpipes ?? not sure on that
ams staged 2 high pressure fuel pump
z1 low pressure fuel pump
ams flex fuel kit with fuel filter
ecutek tune
my tuner said no need for intercooler upgrade, any inputs on that ?
also any input on the exhaust combo ?
thanks

Proto Z

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi SQ7
so update, this is my current list of mods to eventually get. full bolt on, e85, ecutek tune on stock turbos.

ams heat exchanger
turbosmart bov kiompact dual port vr25
z1 carbon fiber cold air intake system
z1 cat back touring exhaust paired with either z1 race cats or ams downpipes ?? not sure on that
ams staged 2 high pressure fuel pump
z1 low pressure fuel pump
ams flex fuel kit with fuel filter
ecutek tune
my tuner said no need for intercooler upgrade, any inputs on that ?
also any input on the exhaust combo ?
thanks
I disagree a little with what has been said above.
Cooling us great, but it ultimately depends on your goals.

If you want to track it regularly, then by all means do intercoolers. They'll prevent heat soak and deliver more lap consistency.
You will also want to look at track brakes and a suspension upgrade (at least tyres and sway bar) if that is the case.

If you just want to hit a big number, or build a tough street car, I think that flex fuel will help you achieve this without doing heat exchangers.
E85 runs cooler, so you can tune it for higher boost than if you were running stock fuel.
It can affect some seals and parts, but it's pretty unlikely on a modern car. And as long as you regularly maintain it you should notice any issues early and can replace wear parts if necessary. On the plus side, it's also a lot cleaner, so you get less wear in other areas.

Only other thing I'd recommend to add to your list is a low pressure fuel pump. In fact, you could probably do that before a fuel rail (debatable if it would make that much difference without a turbo upgrade).
You won't *need* the bovs, so you could remove those to save a few dollarbucks.

OP
OP
Ali023

Ali023

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

If you want to track it regularly, then by all means do intercoolers. They'll prevent heat soak and deliver more lap consistency.
You will also want to look at track brakes and a suspension upgrade (at least tyres and sway bar) if that is the case.

If you just want to hit a big number, or build a tough street car, I think that flex fuel will help you achieve this without doing heat exchangers.
E85 runs cooler, so you can tune it for higher boost than if you were running stock fuel.
It can affect some seals and parts, but it's pretty unlikely on a modern car. And as long as you regularly maintain it you should notice any issues early and can replace wear parts if necessary. On the plus side, it's also a lot cleaner, so you get less wear in other areas.

Only other thing I'd recommend to add to your list is a low pressure fuel pump. In fact, you could probably do that before a fuel rail (debatable if it would make that much difference without a turbo upgrade).

yes I included the z1 low pressure fuel pump.
no track car, just a tough street car.
I’m going to go with fast intention non resonated cbe + fast intention full down pipes.
ams intakes.
no intercooler but deff getting a heat exchanger
Thanks for the info , I appreciate it 🙏🏽

400GOZ

First Name
GOZ
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2014 FG XR6T
Do not tune your car on corn juice!

You will fk out your engine.

-Ethanol eats gaskets
-Eats non-ethanol fuel lines
-Cloggs injectors
-Absorbs moisture
-Has the possibility to prematurely detinate
-It does strange things on engine temps (on a engine that's already having heat soak issues)

Why would you do that to a brand new engine?

Like what the heck is the logic there?

I'll have an extra 100hp?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ali023

Ali023

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Do not tune your car on corn juice!

You will fk out your engine.

-Ethanol eats gaskets
-Eats non-ethanol fuel lines
-Cloggs injectors
-Absorbs moisture
-Has the possibility to prematurely detinate
-It does strange things on engine temps (on a engine that's already having heat soak issues)

Why would you do that to a brand new engine?

Like what the heck is the logic there?

I'll have an extra 100hp?
After like 2k miles I will fbo + e85. Not like it’ll be on e85 year around lol. E85 is right outside my house. Mainly will be in 93 but e85 for performance summer time etc. lol

OP
OP
Ali023

Ali023

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Any has anyone paired fast intention full downpipes with fast intention non resonated cat back exhaust ? Fast intention full downpipes are for q50/q60 but they said it’ll fit the Nissan z same as Ams downpipes advertise for q50/q60/Nissan z

400GOZ

First Name
GOZ
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2014 FG XR6T
Why does e85 do that?
I edited the comment, you can see why.

There's a reason why no factory sports car runs on corn juice.

They are not stupid, they have teams of engineers working on this

To actually make a car run on ethanol you need brass gaskets, fuel lines, specialized injectors, stable tunes. Not a tune running on high boost where combustion pressures and heat cycles keep changing rapidly.

Your stock turbos also have a speed sensor
what do you think will happen on an unpredictable ignition.

Don't mess with fuels. You will cause yourself headaches.

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Dont ask
Occupation
Thread derailer
I edited the comment, you can see why.

There's a reason why no factory sports car runs on corn juice.

They are not stupid, they have teams of engineers working on this

To actually make a car run on ethanol you need brass gaskets, fuel lines, specialized injectors, stable tunes. Not a tune running on high boost where combustion pressures and heat cycles keep changing rapidly.

Your stock turbos also have a speed sensor
what do you think will happen on an unpredictable ignition.

Don't mess with fuels. You will cause yourself headaches.
Umm... what?