Front license plate -- will you mount it or not?

Front license plate -- will you mount it or not?

• Total voters

KCZ

First Name
KCZ
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nissan Z, Evora, Boxster, Jeep, Xterra.
I'm leaning towards the Mishimoto device vs just securing the plate with wire. In NH, lack of a front plate isn't just a fix-it ticket...it's 2 points on your license for "misuse of plates" which is a moving violation. My question is if there is any difference in air flow obstruction due to the Nissan center-mounted plate vs the Mishimoto side-mounted plate?

Go2ZZZ

First Name
Murdock
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Infiniti Q50, 2023 Nissan Z Preformance
Yes, I don’t mind it

jezzza

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ranger Raptor
Occupation
‎‎ Engineer
Man are we world's apart! Attempt to drive without a front plate in Australia and you'll be pulled over by the first cop that spots you and be charged with a traffic offence, which is a fine + demerit points. A few of these and you'll have no license, caught driving after that and you'll likely have a custodial sentence.

bpeckham

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z Performance 6MT Blue/Graphite
Man are we world's apart! Attempt to drive without a front plate in Australia and you'll be pulled over by the first cop that spots you and be charged with a traffic offence, which is a fine + demerit points. A few of these and you'll have no license, caught driving after that and you'll likely have a custodial sentence.
Regardless, I'm installing it. No sense in scoffing the (CA US) law.

TheyCallMeStino

First Name
Stino
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Nissan Z, '91 Dodge Stealth RT/TT, '06 WRX
I'm leaning towards the Mishimoto device vs just securing the plate with wire. In NH, lack of a front plate isn't just a fix-it ticket...it's 2 points on your license for "misuse of plates" which is a moving violation. My question is if there is any difference in air flow obstruction due to the Nissan center-mounted plate vs the Mishimoto side-mounted plate?
Yeah, when I was younger in NH I was pulled over for no front plate a few times...I'll just mount it on the Z, I think it looks great with and without. I'll try the off-center Mishimoto mount first, see how it looks.

As for the airflow, looking inside the front bumper it looks like it'd be negligible. The opening is so big, it just covers a small section of the radiator and lower cooler. I'd keep an eye on temps for the first drive, but I don't think it'd make a difference.

Jah_Happy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z (Everest White, Performance, 6MT)
Yeah, when I was younger in NH I was pulled over for no front plate a few times...I'll just mount it on the Z, I think it looks great with and without. I'll try the off-center Mishimoto mount first, see how it looks.

As for the airflow, looking inside the front bumper it looks like it'd be negligible. The opening is so big, it just covers a small section of the radiator and lower cooler. I'd keep an eye on temps for the first drive, but I don't think it'd make a difference.
Keep us posted on the Mishimoto mount and how you like it. Ill need to mount my plate in a few weeks as well once they arrive.

bpeckham

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I saw this in another Z forum. Sharing here as well.

Has anybody tried the Platypus License Plate Mount?

I do like this idea over the stock mount, which requires drilling. It seems like you could try different locations until you find the best spot.

Has anyone purchased one? Share photos?

TheyCallMeStino

First Name
Stino
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Nissan Z, '91 Dodge Stealth RT/TT, '06 WRX
So just to follow up, I've been running with the mount for a few weeks now. Install was easy, the parts are high quality, and I have not noticed any difference in temps. Don'[t have any pics ATM but I can take some this weekend if there's interest and the weather holds.

bpeckham

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
So just to follow up, I've been running with the mount for a few weeks now. Install was easy, the parts are high quality, and I have not noticed any difference in temps. Don'[t have any pics ATM but I can take some this weekend if there's interest and the weather holds.
I'd like to see it! I don't have my plates yet (I'm still fighting the bureaucracy of registering an out-of-state purchase in CA), but I'm still looking for a way to be legal that looks good.

KCZ

First Name
KCZ
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
What mount are you referencing? The OEM plastic mounts are too large to hold a standard size plate and only have screw holes for the top two mounting points. The Mishimoto mount is difficult to screw into the tow hook site and requires prying out part of the grill. The Platypus mount fits looking downward not straight ahead and the screws and screw holes are too short to accommodate the plate and a plate frame. None are ideal.

bpeckham

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
What mount are you referencing? The OEM plastic mounts are too large to hold a standard size plate and only have screw holes for the top two mounting points. The Mishimoto mount is difficult to screw into the tow hook site and requires prying out part of the grill. The Platypus mount fits looking downward not straight ahead and the screws and screw holes are too short to accommodate the plate and a plate frame. None are ideal.
@KCZ, can the Platypus be bent to be vertical? I think you said you tried it. Do you have any photos? Did it mount lower than the stock location?
gmp_022.jpg

Jah_Happy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z (Everest White, Performance, 6MT)
The tow hook mount is easy to install. Threads right in and that little plastic piece pops right out. Or at least mine did lol.

KCZ

First Name
KCZ
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Because of the way the mount is in contact with the grill, the top of the mount leans forward and downward, like it's looking at the ground. The Platypus is too rigid to be bent and the grill is too plasticky.

I stuck adhesive foam on the back of my Boxster's plate to protect the metal grill and attached it with wires wrapped around the grill. I think you could maybe use stainless steel cable ties for the same purpose. And I hung up the plate onto my Lotus's grill with metal command hooks so the plate was removable because the radiator was overheating. I'm going to try some wire or cable ties...if they work, that's better than drilling or a plate off to the side or too complicated.

Last edited: