First wave of Zs have landed in the U.S.

Denver the Last Dinosaur

First Name
Denver
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cardboard box
^ When I bought my car, the dealer tried to force me to pay a deposit while waiting for the mechanical check so that they could "hold" the car for me to stop anyone else buying it. He even offered to drive me to the nearest ATM. Unluckily for him I've never had a ATM card, not that I was going to pay a deposit anyway. Plus I knew the car had been on their site for months already and before that was on the site of another branch of the same dealer for months as well, so it was unlikely anyone was going to suddenly buy it in the next few days.

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
^ When I bought my car, the dealer tried to force me to pay a deposit while waiting for the mechanical check so that they could "hold" the car for me to stop anyone else buying it. He even offered to drive me to the nearest ATM. Unluckily for him I've never had a ATM card, not that I was going to pay a deposit anyway. Plus I knew the car had been on their site for months already and before that was on the site of another branch of the same dealer for months as well, so it was unlikely anyone was going to suddenly buy it in the next few days.
was this by any chance a yugo or geo metro?

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
I think there is so few of them and so many people that want one (almost no matter what) they will all sell. After the initial flurry of pent up demand is over- 2024 and or if they actually produce any real amount of them things will balance out.
We've all seen this before with the Bronco, C8, Maverick, most will cash in 'flip' these first deliveries, buy them immed from dealers, even with ADMs, and resell for crazy upcharges even as used. Or directly send them to auctions. Dealers themselves might play the game, too. Especially with the Proto Specs!

At least if this happens, we know the new Z is not a dud, demand is there and future deliveries will be affordable after the recession, inevitable.

indio22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'72 Rover S3, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
There are folks who go to the dealer & let the car memorize them to the point they will pay almost anything. Of course, the dealers know that & will take advantage. Some dealers will be good to work with while others will skin the buyer. It will be interesting to see how sales are handled once the cars are available.
Combo of material lust, bad with finances, and not good at haggling/disagreement. Leads people to throw money away.

True story - back in the day, I was 20yrs old and at a Toyota dealership with my buddy and his family, they were buying a Celica. While I had never bought a new car, I had experience on how to do it, from my father taking me to buy his cars. (My dad was a cheapskate and knew how to get a bargain.)

We all sat down with the sales guy, he started listing off the price and added cost of items they should get, and I was waiting for the haggling ... but the haggling wasn't happening! My friend and family were just nodding their heads like lambs to the slaughter, as I got more and more uncomfortable.

Finally the sales guy got to the $500 rustproofing, which they were also accepting, and I could not contain myself. Interjected they did not need rustproofing, and it was not worth $500 regardless. Sales guy said ok he would give it to them for $100, which immediately they began nodding again, and looking at ME uncomfortably, lol.

I couldn't take it anymore, and ended up walking outside to back of lot, to look at an old IH Scout 4x4 the dealer used for plowing.

Later I asked my friend's mom, why they weren't haggling during the purchase. She said they could not be "mean". I said it not about being mean, you can be nice and still haggle. But they are a very non-confrontational family, I guess it's just not in their nature. She also said the dealer loves them. I thought 'I'm sure they do'!

After that experience, I realized some people are just not cut out to buy cars in a negotiable price framework. Probably they should hire some hard nosed person as a proxy to buy a car for them. There should be a paid service like that, to buy cars for people unable/unwilling to negotiate.

Iki4life

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi Q8, Toyota Sienna
Combo of material lust, bad with finances, and not good at haggling/disagreement. Leads people to throw money away.

True story - back in the day, I was 20yrs old and at a Toyota dealership with my buddy and his family, they were buying a Celica. While I had never bought a new car, I had experience on how to do it, from my father taking me to buy his cars. (My dad was a cheapskate and knew how to get a bargain.)

We all sat down with the sales guy, he started listing off the price and added cost of items they should get, and I was waiting for the haggling ... but the haggling wasn't happening! My friend and family were just nodding their heads like lambs to the slaughter, as I got more and more uncomfortable.

Finally the sales guy got to the $500 rustproofing, which they were also accepting, and I could not contain myself. Interjected they did not need rustproofing, and it was not worth $500 regardless. Sales guy said ok he would give it to them for $100, which immediately they began nodding again, and looking at ME uncomfortably, lol.

I couldn't take it anymore, and ended up walking outside to back of lot, to look at an old IH Scout 4x4 the dealer used for plowing.

Later I asked my friend's mom, why they weren't haggling during the purchase. She said they could not be "mean". I said it not about being mean, you can be nice and still haggle. But they are a very non-confrontational family, I guess it's just not in their nature. She also said the dealer loves them. I thought 'I'm sure they do'!

After that experience, I realized some people are just not cut out to buy cars in a negotiable price framework. Probably they should hire some hard nosed person as a proxy to buy a car for them. There should be a paid service like that, to buy cars for people unable/unwilling to negotiate.
Brokers.
But they take a cut

SS727Z

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SS
Yea if you don’t have the gumption.. just do the truecar thing. You’ll have the OTD price on paper ahead of time.

Donalex

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1995 Nissan 300ZX
Truecar is actually in cahoots with dealerships. The stores pay a fee to them for the closed deal, and that could influence the price Truecar gives you.

SS727Z

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SS
Truecar is actually in cahoots with dealerships. The stores pay a fee to them for the closed deal, and that could influence the price Truecar gives you.
Yea definitely not the best price, but haggle free nonetheless