FD RX7 vs Z: There can only be one.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
Sell the FD for a Z34.5? Hmm, that'd be a real conundrum for me.

The FD is an epic car. Seeing as how you are tracking the FD, I would be very doubtful the new Z could live up to your expectations on a track.

However, if it was a daily driver or not tracked very often, I'd strongly consider getting the new Z for a very practical reason. Parts.
I recently sold my 1987 Honda Prelude that was MINT. OEM parts were discontinued in the early 90's, and recently even aftermarket parts became unavailable.
To be clear, my Prelude lived a different life than your FD, it was a mint street car, and everything worked. At it's age, plastic pieces can break and be irreparable. I could lose the the function of any plastic parts at any given time as the car ages, things like pop-up headlights, sunroof, AC controls, power windows, trim pieces will begin to fall apart eventually. I couldn't accept watching the car fall apart.
A track car, that's different. You can just rig stuff up to keep it track-worthy. You've obviously modified it to a point that OEM function is no longer relevant.
I say keep the FD, wait a bit on the new Z, maybe your personal situation will allow you to own both concurrently.

I am currently looking at whether or not to swap out my Q60 for a new Z, or my relatively old Titan for a new truck. My Titan is 15 years old, and still has parts available for it, but sometimes plastic pieces break because it is "old" enough to just start falling apart on it's own. But at the same time, the Q60 isn't "fun" and the new Z is really calling me.

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 Evo IX, 2008 RHD Wrangler
Occupation
Mail Carrier
More like a needle in a stack of needles.

Lemme take one of those FDs off your hands.

Haste

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Civic Type R, '09 335i, '23 Kona N
I think you'd regret selling the FD. Similar to what others have said, you'll have a good window to pick up a new Z this decade.

Unless you can sell the FD for some sort of life changing $ or to put you in a drastically better financial situation, then I wouldn't do it. You may not get another shot at a FD.

Or what the hell do I know, and sell the FD to me ?

OP
OP
LC1

LC1

First Name
Ogan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1993 mazda rx7, 2005 subaru legacy gt
Occupation
Nissan machinist
Ok so the general consensus is that I’d be an idiot to let go of the 7 for the Z lol but if I just had to, at least wait till they have been out a year or so and check prices, official specs, track times, etc. I think that’s a very good solution. Just be patient and see where the market is later. Thanks everyone for the input. I’m still interested in the Z but i will wait a year or so before I make the decision. Just got caught up on the hype train this car is driving. Made me want to be on the front of it. If I had more disposable income I could afford to be impatient but I’m just a factory worker so short of a winning lottery ticket, the smart choice is wait. Let someone else be first and work the kinks out of the car. Cool beans then. Can’t wait til spring 2022 so I can see these bad boys on the road.

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
Ok so the general consensus is that I’d be an idiot to let go of the 7 for the Z lol but if I just had to, at least wait till they have been out a year or so and check prices, official specs, track times, etc. I think that’s a very good solution. Just be patient and see where the market is later. Thanks everyone for the input. I’m still interested in the Z but i will wait a year or so before I make the decision. Just got caught up on the hype train this car is driving. Made me want to be on the front of it. If I had more disposable income I could afford to be impatient but I’m just a factory worker so short of a winning lottery ticket, the smart choice is wait. Let someone else be first and work the kinks out of the car. Cool beans then. Can’t wait til spring 2022 so I can see these bad boys on the road.
if i were in your situation, that's what i'd do...wait.

you'll regret selling the fd. most ppl who have sold theirs wish for another or end up getting one again.

tbh if i could find an fc set up the way i want, i'd pick that up and wait on the z myself.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 GT350, 2003 350Z (sold after 200,000 miles)
The RX-7 is something that will probably never exist again. If yours runs well and can stay running, and it meets your needs, I think you should keep it.

The Z will be a great, fun, daily driver, but from what we've seen so far, it doesn't look quite track ready. At the very least I'd think it would need better front brakes (the single piece rotors indicate a cost conscious design, which probably means the cooling on the rotors will be sub-optimal). The new Z is likely to be a heavier car than the 370Z due to chassis stiffening and extra engine components (guessing 3600 lbs for the car), while the RX-7 is much lighter.

If you are looking for a track car, I'd wait for the inevitable NISMO version to see if Nissan does more with cooling, brakes, tires, wheels, downforce, etc.

The new Z certainly has a very modern interior and a classically modern exterior, but I think there will be a lot of hype early on, and then when Nissan lets it wither on the vine for a decade it will be much easier to obtain, and by then maybe you won't need to get rid of the RX-7. I would say there's no rush in getting the new Z, and the decision to get rid of the RX-7 should not be made in a hurry.

-T

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
I'm seeing more people importing the RHD, but in the long run I don't think they'll be as desirable as the LHD.
prices have gone way up on both jdm and usdm fd's. i think that skyrocketing prices on the orig nsx, mkiv, and r32, r33 r34 have helped.

Y_PLZ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nissan
I'm seeing more people importing the RHD, but in the long run I don't think they'll be as desirable as the LHD.
prices have gone way up on both jdm and usdm fd's. i think that skyrocketing prices on the orig nsx, mkiv, and r32, r33 r34 have helped.
I remember when you could get a NA RHD Supra for around $15k, maybe $20k for a really nice one. Now people are listing trashed and riced out ones starting at $30k. o_O