First Name
Ogan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1993 mazda rx7, 2005 subaru legacy gt
Occupation
Nissan machinist
Ok as the title suggests, I can only afford one. I currently have a 1993 Mazda rx7 modded all to heck and very fun. I’m on the fence right now as to whether or not sell it and buy this new Z when it comes out. I’ve had the 7 for almost 7 years now. So sentimental value has settled in pretty hard. Open to opinions. Hard for me to tell which is better. I feel like it’d be close.

395C4F04-78DC-4AA6-86E8-301B534DA305.jpeg

1F122D95-0A16-4908-A387-2A5CA2522E2A.jpeg

04378669-3641-42F2-A2E4-4B1D2C93F965.jpeg

2A00FFB9-96C9-4C04-A133-01375AB88639.jpeg

B232D328-649E-4350-957E-266307685BD9.jpeg

E4FBEFB5-EBA8-47B7-AD40-AB545983662A.jpeg

tractng

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 RDX, 2016 Miata
Occupation
Systems Admin
I say keep the car a few more years then decide. At that point some of the bugs have been fixed and price will be easier to negotiate. You have a nice ride.

I sold my Miata ND 2016 three months ago. The Miata was the longest car I owned 5.5 years, 50k miles and was my favorite amount previous cars. I had owned multiple s2000 and 350Z.

I am open to buying another Miata if the specs and price of the new Z isn't impressive.

OP
OP
LC1

LC1

First Name
Ogan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Nissan machinist
That’s not a bad thought. Maybe give it time to see how they are on the track too. The Z would be replacing the 7 as my auto x and track car so I’m really hoping they live up to my expectations. On that note, the miatas are some of the absolute funnest cars ever. I haven’t owned one but I’ve rode in a few driven by some of the more veteran drivers that I compete with and good lord they are great. I’ve seen those little things set better times than cars with triple their power more times than I can count.

Donalex

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1995 Nissan 300ZX
If you look forward to turning that key, keep it. You can always turn it into a fulltime racer to mitigate Z usage. That way, you can do mods for speed or to go into another class. Maybe get Hoosiers with a tire trailer...

The money you get for the 7 will always be less than you think it's worth, especially with your mods. And, the replacement value will be in the $40k's...or more.

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
i currently own 2 fd's. both 93's and considering selling the more 'stockish' of the two.

that one is a tt 5 spd that is lightly modded. the other is a fully built big single turbo manual with a widebody kit.

i am only considering selling one of them because i have two. if i only had one rx7, there is no way i would sell it for the new z...

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
I tracked an NB Mazdaspeed Miata for a bit, the most balanced and light car owned, esp on tighter handling courses. I sold it because my 240Z handles neutrally almost the same except not as smooth as the MSM but more power. Drove a few FDs when they came out, still love them, almost bought one. I think once the new Z comes out see if you can drive one on the track/autox, ride along or borrow a friend's, compare. If you still get a kick each time you sit in that FD, I'd keep it for now. Lots of mods and setup done already, you really won't get much selling it to recoup that investment. Better if you can keep both of course, one for track-only.

SS727Z

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SS
You’ll definitely miss it and definitely regret it.. but there’s something to be said about owning a brand new car! Just depends if you want something to modify cuz it seems the FD is a completed project.

siggy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A couple
Your FD looks like sh!t. I'll take it off your hands for free. Save you the trouble.

Well one vehicle isn't out yet and will be manufactured for a few years. The other no longer exists, is an icon, and reducing in numbers as we speak. Seems like an easy decision to me!

OP
OP
LC1

LC1

First Name
Ogan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Nissan machinist
Wow I really figured the opinions on here would biased towards the Z like the rx7 forum was biased towards the 7. I borrowed money against it for a down payment on the house we bought so that’s why I can’t have both it and Z. I don’t make that much money lol. As SS’s previous reply said, this car is pretty much a complete project. Finished it up about 2 years ago. Never owned a brand new car in my life. This Z would be the first. I know full well that if I sold it in the next year or so I’m not likely to ever be able to afford another hence went I’m looking to other’s opinions to help sway it either direction.

OP
OP
LC1

LC1

First Name
Ogan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Nissan machinist
Like trackrat said I I really want to test drive or ride with someone on the track in one. That’s one of my main concerns. Will it be competitive and hold up well in hot conditions and such. From a performance aspect I feel like it should do good. It’s has better lsd type than I do currently being a mechanical clutch type vs my torsen type. The multi link rear suspension will have more adjustability than the double wishbone rear on the 7. And at the moment it makes me torque than I do with a lot more under the curve because rotary lol there are several other specs that have been released that peek my interest too. Does anyone here know if there are any known heat related or oil starved issues on the Q50-60 red sport engine that the Z will be using? The street is one thing but after a few hard laps wonder how well the engine handles that.

OP
OP
LC1

LC1

First Name
Ogan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Nissan machinist
MzGa that’s another thing. I’m not sure how bad dealer markup will be. I work for Nissan so my employee discount could help mitigate it a bit but I feel like it could possibly get ridiculous. Looking at you C8. Seeing how much the Z drops after driving it off the lot will affect my decision too. Like you said, few years would give a better a idea of how much the initial drop will be.

siggy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A couple
MzGa that’s another thing. I’m not sure how bad dealer markup will be. I work for Nissan so my employee discount could help mitigate it a bit but I feel like it could possibly get ridiculous. Looking at you C8. Seeing how much the Z drops after driving it off the lot will affect my decision too. Like you said, few years would give a better a idea of how much the initial drop will be.
C8 can be had at MSRP in any config you want. It’s just that people are impatient, nothing else. Problem with the Z will be you can’t order it. Markups for a long time.

For the type of racing you do why not get a used ND2 in a couple years when the market stabilizes? Should be no problem to get one in the teens. It’d be a dang shame to unload the 7.

MZGA

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Z
Right, and if you want a brand new Z in a couple of years, the hype and mark downs will be over. I'm sure you can pick one up for a good deal. At least that was how it was with the 370Z. I went with my buddy to pick up his new Z in 2012 and he was able to get $5k off of the MSRP with ease. Either way, I wouldn't rush into it in. You still have some time to think things over.

Zboy

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Z32
Very cliche, but like others have said, one is a needle in a haystack while the other will probably be a dime a dozen. And this is coming from a huge Z fan. :p