First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M240i, Supra MkV, 370Z 6MT
Occupation
Friggin’ Scientist
For many, politics has transcended mere policy preference and has now become tribalism and group identity. When that happens, we start adjusting our values to be in line with our in-group and that leads us to wrapping our facts around our beliefs rather than developing our beliefs from the facts as we might normally understand them.

We often don’t know we are doing it. It’s a weird and important bit of evolution. Now, of course, maybe you don’t believe in evolution.

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 Evo IX, 2008 RHD Wrangler
Occupation
Mail Carrier
For many, politics has transcended mere policy preference and has now become tribalism and group identity. When that happens, we start adjusting our values to be in line with our in-group and that leads us to wrapping our facts around our beliefs rather than developing our beliefs from the facts as we might normally understand them.

We often don’t know we are doing it. It’s a weird and important bit of evolution. Now, of course, maybe you don’t believe in evolution.
And those people really need to reevaluate their lives.

supra93

First Name
Tuan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
Occupation
Pastry Chef
Before shit hits the fan maybe we should just focus on Covid and vaccines news and put aside personal POV and politics.
Admin hasn't posted any rules for the forum yet so everyone can speak freely. Just remember to be respectful of one another and agree to disagree if no consensus can be reached.

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
Ye
Admin hasn't posted any rules for the forum yet so everyone can speak freely. Just remember to be respectful of one another and agree to disagree if no consensus can be reached.
Yep…said my piece…and then let it go ?
No one is ever going to agree on such a touchy subject.

H2O_Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M240i, Supra MkV, 370Z 6MT
Occupation
Friggin’ Scientist
So my point is in my eyes the vaccine only protects the person taking it…so should it not be their choice?

As I said I have taken it….but I think it’s a slippery slope we are on
Respectfully, I’ll push back and say getting vaccinated protects far more than the person taking it. That’s actually a big part of the push.

Again, the problem isn’t so much that people aren’t getting vaccinated. It’s that they aren’t getting vaccinated AND not taking appropriate measures to prevent transmission.

supra93

First Name
Tuan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
Occupation
Pastry Chef
So my mom got two shots of Pfizer. One of her co-workers tested positive for COVID. The company sent out an email/text for everyone to get tested. She went to Walgreens today and tested positive, but she has no symptoms at all.

Donalex

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1995 Nissan 300ZX
So my mom got two shots of Pfizer. One of her co-workers tested positive for COVID. The company sent out an email/text for everyone to get tested. She went to Walgreens today and tested positive, but she has no symptoms at all.
Not uncommon. In fact, that's what's killing the unvaccinated. They don't think they have it, so they go along their lives infecting others. Same thing happens with those who got their shots; this Delta variant is brutal.

That's why masks are still recommended indoors.

Better to have been vaxxed than not, in any case.

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
Isn’t this good though…it means you mum not only has had a vaccine, but also the virus which will also build natural immunity
The vaccine has hopefully protected her from getting really ill, but she should now be even more safe once she is covid free??

ZDreamer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Subaru
Interesting. Plausible mechanism, so certainly worth investigating. If effective, it could be a dreadfully long wait to get to market.
Our gov't has priority on vaccination--it's the main agenda, not therapy. Monoclonal antibody is barely getting any tractions, and the States that requires them are getting politicized.

So yeah, when the gov't get in the business of medicines, the private market will suffer, potentially causing delay.

ZDreamer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Subaru
Filtration is not the only way that masks reduce transmission. They can also decrease the size of the aerosol field. But, yes, and important study.
Yup! can't talk about vaccine/mask w/o talking about the indoor air quality (IAQ). Otherwise, we are all guilty of politicizing the situation. At the current situation (i.e. limited vax people, limited mask people, people moving around to make ends-meet), it's probably more important to address the IAQ. Our school district retrofitted all of the HVAC systems in summer of 2021 to have adequate filtration (MERV 13+) and outdoor exchange system (ERV).

So I think we will go down the wrong path by just talking about vaccination and mask, because it not a holistic approach. If we believe the virus is so contagious when it hits the ambient air, then I think everybody need to talk about IAQ. IAQ will require conversation from environmental engineers, HVAC engineers, and HVAC tech like myself.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
I don't get the vax hesitant people. Just get the vax, so many benefits:

-You won't get COVID
-You can't transmit/carry it to others
-You can take off your face mask
-You can go back to a normal life

With all of the benefits, I don't understand why anyone would hesitate? It's like they don't believe in science, which has given us consistent, effective direction since the beginning of the pandemic.

jezzza

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ranger Raptor
Occupation
‎‎ Engineer
I don't get the vax hesitant people. Just get the vax, so many benefits:
Unfortunately all 4 of your points are incorrect.

Vaccinations significantly reduce the risk of severe illness and death from the virus.

Get vaccinated.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
Unfortunately all 4 of your points are incorrect.

Vaccinations significantly reduce the risk of severe illness and death from the virus.

Get vaccinated.
I'm vaccinated with Pfizer, Moderna, Johnson & Johnson, plus naturally immune and I sneak a booster in every now and then.

I'm never getting COVID again. I follow the science. I'm trying to convince everyone too!

Status
Not open for further replies.