First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
To me, it's a downgrade, looking too much like a current Ford Mustang. Remember Chip is most of all about American Muscle restomods.

The new Z has correct proportions and blends in heritage (S30, Z32) perfectly, would not change any of it.

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 Evo IX, 2008 RHD Wrangler
Occupation
Mail Carrier
I still don't fucking understand why people are calling it a 400Z.

100% a downgrade.

Bobcat

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Occupation
nurse
The front end is an improvement at least.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 GT350, 2003 350Z (sold after 200,000 miles)
Foose’s design looks much closer to the original to me, which can be good or bad. I like the headlights on his better since they capture the roundness of the originals better and seem to follow the body contours better.

Overall it doesn’t look nearly as modern or fresh, so if you want the classic look, it’s probably better, but if you like the modern interpretation of the classic, then IMO what Nissan did looks really good.

Given the platform Nissan was working with, they may have had more constraints as well, especially regarding the overall proportions as well as reusing some details ( door handles, switch gear). Foose was able to ignore much of that.

overall I really like his interpretation, but I don’t know that I’d consider it an upgrade.

As always, it’s fun to see the thought process and techniques behind the design. Thanks for sharing the video.

-T

Georges1

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1972 Datsun 240Z
Occupation
Safety Engineer
Agree with T’s synopsis. The Foose design more replicates the 240, but the new design is also very cool. The Nissan designers did a nice job and as we know, you can’t please all of the people all of the time. I am curious to see what my 240 looks like next to the new Z. The 240 was such a home run & was in a class by itself. The new one is starting a great new generation that should evolve positively as the years go by.