BMW recalls Supra (again)... Why didn't you by the Supra instead of the Z?

Which one are you getting?

• Total voters

johnny_10196

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ford
Same reasons as a lot of you have already stated. Hopefully Toyota will do something with the front bumper and fake door vents when it comes time for a facelift.
It would look decent if those two issues were solved. We're like 3 years in and still no one has came up with a fix for the weird front bumper.

supra93

First Name
Tuan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
Occupation
Pastry Chef
Not rain on everyone's parade, but I just wanted to add that I don't think anyone has crossed the line and while everyone is having a good time and a healthy debate it's a important reminder to be respectful of one another. As our community grows we're bound to get new members who are interested in both or already own both cars. We're all entitled to our opinions and can agree to disagree. In the end we're all car enthusiast, and while the new Supra may not be everyone's first choice I think we can all agree that it's good to have choices, especially in today's world of EVs and crossovers. Carry on everyone. :)

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
This may come as a shock to some considering all the crap that I given the Zupra, but I don't think it's that overpriced. The $50k starting price isn't too outrageous imo. We have to remember that it's a really a BMW under all that fugly sheet metal. The B58 Z4 starts at what? $63k? $64k? So for a German car that's not that bad.

Now, that's not to say I wish Toyota hadn't packaged it differently. Instead of that $43k+ abomination 4 banger that hardly anyone is buying Toyota should have kept the 335hp B58C as a base model. Pair it with a manual transmission, cloth seats and some spring suspension to save some on money and price it in the low $40ks.
I agree. More proof it's a BMW as Toyota way over thought on this one. They could have gotten away with low-$40k's as the 2020 M240i started around $46k.
They could have also put on 17inch wheels instead of the 18s since alot of people are going aftermarket anyways
i think toyota is saving that price slot for the upcoming mr2.
if you recall a few years back when talking about the zupr4, they wanted to have the same type of lineup and price structure as before with the zupr4 as "big brother", 86 as "little brother" and mr2 in between.

Haste

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Civic Type R, '09 335i, '23 Kona N
i think toyota is saving that price slot for the upcoming mr2.
if you recall a few years back when talking about the zupr4, they wanted to have the same type of lineup and price structure as before with the zupr4 as "big brother", 86 as "little brother" and mr2 in between.
Will the MR2 return as a hybrid, an EV, or a BMW? Should we go ahead and start calling it the MR240i?

Haste

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Civic Type R, '09 335i, '23 Kona N
It would look decent if those two issues were solved. We're like 3 years in and still no one has came up with a fix for the weird front bumper.
You mean to tell me that you don't want the Germans helping them out with the front end as well? BMW clearly knows what they're doing in the styling department as of late :D:(

1628798845833.png

Zupra88

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Nissan Z, 2022 F-150 Lariat
Occupation
Nursing Home Administrator
I’ve had mine for almost 2 years and never had an issue. The 2021s seem to have more problems than the 2020s. Funny thing is there isn’t a solution currently available for this recall aside from don’t do what causes the problem.

Captain_Kirk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
?
It's funny because over on the Supramkv side there also seems to be a lot of animosity towards the Z35.
Not rain on everyone's parade, but I just wanted to add that I don't think anyone has crossed the line and while everyone is having a good time and a healthy debate it's a important reminder to be respectful of one another. As our community grows we're bound to get new members who are interested in both or already own both cars. We're all entitled to our opinions and can agree to disagree. In the end we're all car enthusiast, and while the new Supra may not be everyone's first choice I think we can all agree that it's good to have choices, especially in today's world of EVs and crossovers. Carry on everyone. :)
It doesn't have to be a "us vs them" mentality. With the ever shrinking sport cars segment let's all be thankful that we didn't get a CUV with the Supra and Z nameplate (I'm looking at you Ford and Mitsubishi) and to try and get along.

orclean1

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
civic
Has anyone ever attended coffee and cars ? If you have you wouldn't be bashing anyone or their choice of cars !
I'll be there which my DD since my car will not be in hand and no one bash anyone's car so stop the BS

H2O_Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M240i, Supra MkV, 370Z 6MT
Occupation
Friggin’ Scientist
It’s deep-in-the-brain tribalism. It’s this odd, evolved behavior: it’s tribalism. It strangely manifests itself in things like sports teams and car ownership. It served us well back when we were dung-flinging monkeys, but now…well, there are pluses and minuses.

Yep, don’t break with the tribe or there’ll be sanctions. Ridicule is a sanction.

Z_Dude

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
s2000, Xterra Pro-4x
This may come as a shock to some considering all the crap that I given the Zupra, but I don't think it's that overpriced. The $50k starting price isn't too outrageous imo. We have to remember that it's a really a BMW under all that fugly sheet metal. The B58 Z4 starts at what? $63k? $64k? So for a German car that's not that bad.
True, by German/BMW standards it is on the lower price end. BMW got the Win out of this partnership. They got 2 entire cars out of this project (Z4 / 2 series coupe) including an upcoming M2. Plus, they got to choose what internal parts Toyota could use on their car.