Sponsored

After Oil Change can you Turn Engine Over To Prime it Without Starting ?

zeroptzero

Well-Known Member
First Name
Joey
Joined
Sep 7, 2026
Threads
14
Messages
175
Reaction score
137
Location
Ontario
Car(s)
26 Z
On my Subaru BRZ we could push the throttle to the floor ahead of hitting the start button, and it would allow the engine to prime after an oil change. Also helpful when coming out of long storage. The engine would not start until you lifted off the throttle, so you could crank the engine over without starting. Can this be done on the Z ?
 

Apex_Z

Well-Known Member
First Name
Rob
Joined
Aug 28, 2025
Threads
4
Messages
140
Reaction score
227
Location
North Orlando
Car(s)
2025 Z Performance, 1950 Chevy Styleline, 1920's ratrod
Occupation
Engineer
Not sure, but as long as the filter was filled with oil before it was installed there really isn't anything to prime. All you effectively did was drain the oil out of the pan and refill it.
 

aurora rz34

Member
First Name
Brock
Joined
Aug 19, 2026
Threads
2
Messages
21
Reaction score
8
Location
Pennsylvania
Car(s)
2026 nisaan z heritage edtion
On my Subaru BRZ we could push the throttle to the floor ahead of hitting the start button, and it would allow the engine to prime after an oil change. Also helpful when coming out of long storage. The engine would not start until you lifted off the throttle, so you could crank the engine over without starting. Can this be done on the Z ?
It is the same as your brz and my wrx I had before my z press the gas while starting and it won’t fire
 

G M

Member
First Name
Gary
Joined
Nov 20, 2025
Threads
1
Messages
20
Reaction score
58
Location
Las Vegas
Car(s)
2025 Nissan Z Performance
Occupation
Retired
The flooded start procedure can be used to crank the engine without starting it and is described in the owner's manual. I use it when I change my oil and filter. Basically, hold the accelerator to the floor and hit the start button. The manual says wait 5 or 6 seconds and hit the start button again to stop the cranking. However, mine stopped on its own after 5 seconds.

I don't know if one cycle is enough but that's all I use.
 

818RZ34

Member
First Name
Ron
Joined
Jun 30, 2025
Threads
0
Messages
21
Reaction score
11
Location
SoCal
Car(s)
2024 Nissan Z Performance
Occupation
Finance
If the oil change is done properly is this even necessary?
 
OP
OP

zeroptzero

Well-Known Member
First Name
Joey
Joined
Sep 7, 2026
Threads
14
Messages
175
Reaction score
137
Location
Ontario
Car(s)
26 Z
It is the same as your brz and my wrx I had before my z press the gas while starting and it won’t fire
Great thank you. That is good to know, I like the feature, particularly after winter storage season on first start up.
 
OP
OP

zeroptzero

Well-Known Member
First Name
Joey
Joined
Sep 7, 2026
Threads
14
Messages
175
Reaction score
137
Location
Ontario
Car(s)
26 Z
No. It's typically only needed when the engine has been apart.
The flooded start procedure can be used to crank the engine without starting it and is described in the owner's manual. I use it when I change my oil and filter. Basically, hold the accelerator to the floor and hit the start button. The manual says wait 5 or 6 seconds and hit the start button again to stop the cranking. However, mine stopped on its own after 5 seconds.

I don't know if one cycle is enough but that's all I use.
Thank you, I did not see it in the manual but thanks for the info on this. I think it is helpful to use in some situations. Always good to know, thanks
 
 






Top