DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
Daily life with the Z with Ben Hardy
That was worth it. He's owned the Supra, a Boxster, and several Mustangs, and prefers the Z as a daily to all of them. Wow. Between this and Topher's positive takes I am swinging back into the Z column and away from the (unobtainable right now) GR86.

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
Occupation
Litigator
That was worth it. He's owned the Supra, a Boxster, and several Mustangs, and prefers the Z as a daily to all of them. Wow. Between this and Topher's positive takes I am swinging back into the Z column and away from the (unobtainable right now) GR86.

DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
Ouch, this is fairly scathing from Car & Driver. The part that stuck with me:

"It's an attractive proposition on paper and at first glance, but, as it turns out, the 2023 Nissan Z is not the budget world-beater Z-cars have been in the past."

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a39969206/2023-nissan-z-drive/
Well at least most of the weaknesses they found are readily addressed by an owner at little expense - use better gas and get better tires.

Personally I don't really want a car with Corvette-level limits because I want it to be playful at reasonable speeds on the street. Both TheTopher and Ben Hardy make this exact point in their reviews - the Z is not too much car for street fun.

DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
After watching/reading all of these reviews I'm left with the sense that the Z will be a great everyday driver and GT car but those looking for razor-sharp responses from their sportscar should probably look elsewhere - the twins at the lower end, Boxster/Cayman above.

Commentary on steering feel has been all over the map, garnering praise from some, critique from others. Most feel the car is easy to be playful with, but Cammisa doesn't see it that way.

Seems that the car's weight (and its nose-heavy distribution) is its major weak spot. Without going to a more expensive adaptive suspension, or spending more to further stiffen the chassis, anything Nissan might have done to further improve handling response (like using firmer shocks and springs and/or thicker ARBs) would have resulted in a serious and to them unacceptable degradation of the ride quality.

Last edited:

Denver the Last Dinosaur

First Name
Denver
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cardboard box
^ Yep. As one of the review videos said, the stock car models are for those driving on the street. Those wanting track cars will get the "Sport" and replace everything anyway. Then there will be the inevitable Nismo version (or at least Nismo add-ons) at some future point.

therumblewagon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CX-5, Elantra N
"Interior room is similar to the 370Z but seating position and outward view is greatly improved with a lower dash height. You can even see the Z’s broad hips in the rear through side mirrors, again another nice thought from the designers. Below, Rob (5’10”) and Tyler (6’5″) demonstrate headroom in the Z. Rob still has headroom with a helmet on and Tyler has a few inches of headroom as well"

1656205114387.png

As someone who is 6'6", this might be the best photo of the Z I've seen to date. Sure, it's a little tight, but if there's a will, there's a way!

Denver the Last Dinosaur

First Name
Denver
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cardboard box
Sports cars are rarely built for big people ... in height and/or width. :)
(Which makes you wonder why many of the American reviewers of the Z are big fat old guys.)