2023 BMW M2: will dealer ADM doom the Z?

csb5150

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Nissan Z Performance
Occupation
lawyer
With dealers asking $10K-$25K ADM for the Z, the prices are beginning to approach the MSRP for the new 2023 BMW M2 coming this Spring. The BMW M2 looks great and is a beast! Lookswise, it destroys the Toy-MW Supra which is a re-wrapped Z4 in a fussy, fake-vent covered body.

But if that car sells for $67K, will it also make Z buyers think twice, especially if Nissan dealers continue to demand ADM that brings the price of a Z Performance model within striking distance of BMW M2 pricing???

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
First off, for the the Z to be "doomed", that would imply that Nissan couldn't sell them, that they'd end up with languishing inventory and need to provide incentives to get rid of them.

Not sure if you are aware, Nissan is WAY behind on manufacturing vehicles to meet the demand. So, whilst you are correct that a BMW is a better performing vehicle and seems to be a far superior financial choice, there will still be more than enough Z buyers for what few Z's Nissan can even manage to squirt out.

I wouldn't be surprised if most Z buyers are ignoring the performance metrics/value ratio of the Z. We already know it's a recycled early 2000's chassis full of warts.

Anyways, I stand by my evaluation that Nissan can't make enough Z's to notice potential buyers walking away to better products.

I also think the Z will be forever "rare" as it doesn't seem Nissan will ever catch up. Heck, Nissan folding is more likely at this point.

bpeckham

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z Performance 6MT Blue/Graphite
ADM certainly could kill the Z. The only Z's near me are three old Proto Specs that have been sitting on the dealer's lot for who knows how long? If the right one was available at MSRP: 💲🅰LE! One of these Proto Specs was marked up $30k. That dealer recently texted me to see if I was interested in "only" a $15k markup. I'm looking for a Seiran Blue, so paying $15k over for a Proto Spec really demonstrates that the dealers are clueless. Why would I pay $15k for a car I don't even want (those wheels, tho 🤤)? That blinding greed (it's not about customer satisfaction; it's about making a buck) could certainly kill the Z.
Screenshot_20230308-203429.png

bpeckham

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Anyways, I stand by my evaluation that Nissan can't make enough Z's to notice potential buyers walking away to better products.

I also think the Z will be forever "rare" as it doesn't seem Nissan will ever catch up. Heck, Nissan folding is more likely at this point.
It's important to point out here that making a car costs a lot of money. If the sales don't justify the cost. Nissan will pull the plug.

I'm not buying an overpriced car, so: no sale. The *few* that will spend the extra or put up with delays may not keep the car alive.

The Z is a bit special because of the era in which it was created, a challenging era, indeed, full of shortages of all sorts. Nissan may try to recover from that, but if the cars don't generate sale numbers, it gets the ax.

bpeckham

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Still the same three since I started looking. If you buy one of these, ask the dealer to throw in a new battery.
Screenshot_20230308-210004.png

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
No need to go up to the M2, the M240i (if you don't HAVE to have a manual) is a bargain compared to the Z if performance is your main goal.

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
About the same MSRP as the Performance Z, still on my list this X-drive.

" It makes a huge difference, and this $700 upgrade lets the car leave the M2 behind off the line. Online MSRPs start at $52,000 and $63,000 for the BMW M240i and BMW M2 respectively. The sub-$1,000 tuning pack and a custom exhaust system could well be more attractive for someone seeking speed, as a saving of $10,000 is undeniable – unless you head to the track.

https://www.hotcars.com/bmw-m240i-vs-more-expensive-bmw-m2/

Haste

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Civic Type R, '09 335i, '23 Kona N
About the same MSRP as the Performance Z, still on my list this X-drive.

" It makes a huge difference, and this $700 upgrade lets the car leave the M2 behind off the line. Online MSRPs start at $52,000 and $63,000 for the BMW M240i and BMW M2 respectively. The sub-$1,000 tuning pack and a custom exhaust system could well be more attractive for someone seeking speed, as a saving of $10,000 is undeniable – unless you head to the track.

https://www.hotcars.com/bmw-m240i-vs-more-expensive-bmw-m2/

Not bad for ~$50k but the styling and lack of manual were deal-breakers for me. For the same $ I went a different direction. Even for the street it seems like no one who's owned both regret upgrading to the M2.

https://g87.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2039836