gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F-150
so let's say all the stuff OP posted is true. what is a Nissan official suppose to say, or what would we expect them to say? "of course it isn't true" is the expected responds. either way, in the "coming months" OP will either be vindicated or have egg on his face.

Philosophy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
so let's say all the stuff OP posted is true. what is a Nissan official suppose to say, or what would we expect them to say? "of course it isn't true". either way, in the "coming months" OP will either be vindicated or have egg on his face.
That's probably correct - if anyone had asked the Nissan official. What actually happened was the Director of Communications for Nissan North America came on to the forum, unprompted, to clear the air on some misinformation being spread here and picked up my numerous media outlets. The same information that a lot of us were forming our expectations on and plans around.

Look, there's a lot of information that I wanted OP to be correct about, especially the price point. But it looks like it should all be taken as pure speculation whereas a lot of us were treating it like an insider leak and practically confirmed (especially the media outlets brave enough to report on it). Kind of easy for us to get that impression as OP represented these with some authority (see the thread title).

I don't see a logical reason that these rumors would be refuted if they were true, and lots of reasons to refute them when untrue. My wager is a blend of managing expectations and probably Dan's own connection with Z enthusiasts which probably makes it hard for him to stomach seeing us misinformed.

I think it should be explicitly clear to everybody here that nothing in this post should be used to set your expectations for the Z. If it was ever good information, it's not good anymore.

Basically we are back to square one, besides the leaked images. Let's all look forward to something in the coming months from Nissan.

This is coming from the guy who gave Dan such a hard time about his identity. I know it's a hard pill to swallow that some of us have been mislead, but that's how it really is.

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
So Dan, could you just tell us what kind of timeline we are waiting for...I’m seeing people lose interest, because the proto was released so long ago and then nothing official since
Nissan would be better off releasing tid bits a few weeks apart to keep interest up, and indicate a timeline

Captain_Kirk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
?
so let's say all the stuff OP posted is true. what is a Nissan official suppose to say, or what would we expect them to say? "of course it isn't true" is the expected responds. either way, in the "coming months" OP will either be vindicated or have egg on his face.
When a leak does happen the typical responds from the manufacture is "no comment" or "we do not comment on future products". This would be one of the few times, if not the first that a high level employee joined a forum and felt the need to clear the air. Agree, either way in a few months we shall know for sure.

BJM2021

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW M2
I’m a very easy person to find and I look forward to sharing as much as I can soon. This group and the others are the spirit of Z - and we are honored to be a part of bringing back the legend.
Apologies, too many threads forums and other people spewing info. Thanks Dan.

ceric

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'16 Mazda6
Great. Dan said we should not believe Houston.Z35, and he is not leaking anything to us except for "coming months".
We are back to square one.
Dan, give us something, please. 2 months or 12 months? (you said *months*)

not_howard

First Name
Not Howard...
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Only Hotwheels
Great. Dan said we should not believe Houston.Z35, and he is not leaking anything to us except for "coming months".
We are back to square one.
Dan, give us something, please. 2 months or 12 months? (you said *months*)
He didn't say a year... I highly doubt "months" means a whole year. Let's calm down I have a feeling we are close to this being released :D, "coming months" probably means July, August or I'm betting on September since that's when they unveiled the Proto. Would kind of make sense for orders (more likely info) to start then no?

BB_Sam

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 Jaguar F-type R-Dynamic 6MT
It really doesn't make sense for Nissan to release a 2 door sports car in the winter (ie the November --> February rumor). Let's just hope that Dan's "months" means 2 not any more. Ideally, we need this new Z on the roads by September.

Philosophy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
It really doesn't make sense for Nissan to release a 2 door sports car in the winter (ie the November --> February rumor). Let's just hope that Dan's "months" means 2 not any more. Ideally, we need this new Z on the roads by September.
I deeply appreciate your optimism but I suspect that we are a far way from seeing the Z on the road in consumer form. I think that Nissan is doing it's best to move the Z forward, but they are facing massive economic decisions. Like it or not, we enthusiasts are a niche market. Nissan is in the middle of a total line conversion/update while also being in the middle of a chip shortage (and throttled supply chains). Work stoppages will already be impacting Nissan production in Mexico and executives have projected about a 500,000 cut in vehicle production. Think about it from a business perspective. Nissan is likely going to prioritize the production of vehicles that appeal to a larger market. The desire for the Z will persist, even if a few people can't hold out and go with a different vehicle. Nissan is also in the red, and making profit will be important so that they can be around to provide us with the new Z at all. Honestly, a delay until 2023 (trust me, I hate the thought) might be more consumer friendly in the long run. Even if the Z does come out this year or early next year the chip shortages will create a production bottleneck that presents a real obstacle to the launch with several potential negative effects like price inflation due to a major conflict with supply and demand. I can imagine being more upset by not being able to obtain a Z despite its release than to have the Z's release delayed.

I really hope I'm completely wrong on all of this, but it is really a tough time to be in the business of manufacturing cars. Lot's of hard decisions are being made. I haven't even brought up the market and legal pressures of the future and the extra expenses of moving away from ICE and electrifying offerings.

I think the launch of the GR86 that will reportedly take place on Jun 3rd should give us an idea (if they indicate a production date) between product announcement and tires on lots. Though Nissan and Toyota are not the same company, they are feeling some of the same pressures.

Anyway, that's my critical analysis of where things are. I think projections that rely on pre-pandemic timelines are bound to be flawed.

Sorry for writing an essay each post, guess my username checks out.

tl;dr: Don't get your hopes up on a 2022 launch, expect 2023. That way you'll be happily surprised to be wrong instead of disappointed.

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
Don’t see why not. Australia is HOT during these months. And most cities in Japan get very little snow even in high winter. Given the first run will most likely be limited I think it’s perfect timing as second run would then be expected around spring time in the US

not_howard

First Name
Not Howard...
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Only Hotwheels
Niche or not shouldn't alienate a market and honestly, this niche market is the ones who actually care about Nissan. Everyone who gets a Pathfinder or a leaf isn't getting one because they're thrilled about getting a Nissan. They're getting it because it's their only choice. I'm going to be beyond disappointed if I'm getting my car in 2023. I'll just look at it in happy disgust lol.​

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
I deeply appreciate your optimism but I suspect that we are a far way from seeing the Z on the road in consumer form. I think that Nissan is doing it's best to move the Z forward, but they are facing massive economic decisions. Like it or not, we enthusiasts are a niche market. Nissan is in the middle of a total line conversion/update while also being in the middle of a chip shortage (and throttled supply chains). Work stoppages will already be impacting Nissan production in Mexico and executives have projected about a 500,000 cut in vehicle production. Think about it from a business perspective. Nissan is likely going to prioritize the production of vehicles that appeal to a larger market. The desire for the Z will persist, even if a few people can't hold out and go with a different vehicle. Nissan is also in the red, and making profit will be important so that they can be around to provide us with the new Z at all. Honestly, a delay until 2023 (trust me, I hate the thought) might be more consumer friendly in the long run. Even if the Z does come out this year or early next year the chip shortages will create a production bottleneck that presents a real obstacle to the launch with several potential negative effects like price inflation due to a major conflict with supply and demand. I can imagine being more upset by not being able to obtain a Z despite its release than to have the Z's release delayed.

I really hope I'm completely wrong on all of this, but it is really a tough time to be in the business of manufacturing cars. Lot's of hard decisions are being made. I haven't even brought up the market and legal pressures of the future and the extra expenses of moving away from ICE and electrifying offerings.

I think the launch of the GR86 that will reportedly take place on Jun 3rd should give us an idea (if they indicate a production date) between product announcement and tires on lots. Though Nissan and Toyota are not the same company, they are feeling some of the same pressures.

Anyway, that's my critical analysis of where things are. I think projections that rely on pre-pandemic timelines are bound to be flawed.

Sorry for writing an essay each post, guess my username checks out.

tl;dr: Don't get your hopes up on a 2022 launch, expect 2023. That way you'll be happily surprised to be wrong instead of disappointed.
I disagree,
I think this car for Nissan will be very important for brand recognition.

If it was my company, I would reveal and offer pre orders early.
By doing so I could better predict how many to make, the different models, and manual v auto split.
I would make a limited run for the first foray, to get the car on the road, visually out there and increase even more interest...outside of the fans like us.
At the same time In essence only making what is ordered and paid for. In this way there is no financial risk, there is no chip or labour wastage, and the car is in dealers and on the road, bringing people into the dealerships to look. They may not even be in the market for a Z, but it will pull them in regardless and then the buyers attention may turn to the other models in the dealership to purchase for their everyday ride.

If it was MY business, I would reveal July, open orders Aug/Sept, start builds in November ( only making what’s on order) and have them out on the road restoring interest in the brand with no wastage on unsold cars, or unused chips in Dec for Xmas

Makes perfect sense to me

2JZ-No-Sh*t

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
Exactly, even if it's correct you really can't say on record that it is. All you can do is deny deny & deny some more. At this point I'm not calling anyone a liar. A bit cliché, but time will tell who's in the right or wrong.