Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.pandamotorworks.com
Car(s)
2023 Sport, Rosewood Metallic
Occupation
Marketing @ Panda Motorworks
Drag racing time!! While all our tracks are still closed from winter here in St. Louis, our friend Shane @Monster_ Performance took his Z to the drag stip down in Houston! We were pretty impressed with the stock times it made. We can't wait to throw our e30 PandaTune on it and see what difference it makes!

Subscribe to our YouTube channel to stay updated with this new series. We will be releasing frequent videos with Shane showing the transformation of the Z in its current stock form, to a potential full-blown race car! The fun has just begun!

Also, if you are on Facebook, join our group specifically for RZ34 drag racing! 2023+ Nissan Z (RZ34) Drag Racing

Last edited:

siggy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A couple
While I appreciate the efforts, gosh it seems like a Performance variant Tesla is the route to go. If you're just looking to go down a drag strip and run the same (fast) time over and over while playing fart noises, the Tesla is the ticket. Shoot you could do that on delivery day.

OP
OP
Caleb@PandaMotorworks

Caleb@PandaMotorworks

First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.pandamotorworks.com
Car(s)
Occupation
While I appreciate the efforts, gosh it seems like a Performance variant Tesla is the route to go. If you're just looking to go down a drag strip and run the same (fast) time over and over while playing fart noises, the Tesla is the ticket. Shoot you could do that on delivery day.
That sounds terribly boring

siggy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A couple
That sounds terribly boring
Agreed. But what's the objective? Your team spent a whole bunch of money on wheels and tires to run a 12 second mile. Then you'll have to spend a bunch more to run a 10 second mile. Juice doesn't seem to be worth the squeeze to me when you can buy a Tesla and run 10 second 1/4 mile over and over and over and over - bone stock. I have no interest in a Tesla or EV, but then again I find going in a straight line terribly boring anyhow. I just found the thread title and YT title to be a bit click baity. You guys basically admitted to running what the mags say it should do which you accomplished under "perfect" conditions AND drag radials.

Kbl911

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 370Z
Occupation
Wealth Management
That's a silly point to make, though. It'd be like saying that there's no real logic in buying anything other than a 911 GT3 if you are trying to chase absurd track times with a factory vehicle. That just ignores so very many other factors.

What if, for instance, you are trying to run a car at a drag strip that isn't a questionably-made electric sedan with the aesthetic charisma of a melted bar of soap? What if a qualifier is that you also, you know, want a two-seat sports car? It's like the 911 point I was making: what if you do want a track car but don't have a quarter-million dollars to spend on one?

Sorry for somewhat ranting, it's just a lazy point too often made that electric vehicles - and specifically Teslas - are somehow a substitute for sports cars, simply because they are generally quick.

siggy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A couple
That's a silly point to make, though. It'd be like saying that there's no real logic in buying anything other than a 911 GT3 if you are trying to chase absurd track times with a factory vehicle. That just ignores so very many other factors.

What if, for instance, you are trying to run a car at a drag strip that isn't a questionably-made electric sedan with the aesthetic charisma of a melted bar of soap? What if a qualifier is that you also, you know, want a two-seat sports car? It's like the 911 point I was making: what if you do want a track car but don't have a quarter-million dollars to spend on one?

Sorry for somewhat ranting, it's just a lazy point too often made that electric vehicles - and specifically Teslas - are somehow a substitute for sports cars, simply because they are generally quick.
The goal here is to go down a straight line as fast as you can, no? Economically a Tesla can do this better. Prices aren't that far apart. Never said a Tesla is a sports car. But then again I don't find mashing on a pedal and going straight a "sport." Maybe I'm jaded since I used to road race motorcycles. Now THAT is a sport.

Kbl911

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 370Z
Occupation
Wealth Management
The goal here is to go down a straight line as fast as you can, no? Economically a Tesla can do this better. Prices aren't that far apart. Never said a Tesla is a sports car. But then again I don't find mashing on a pedal and going straight a "sport." Maybe I'm jaded since I used to road race motorcycles. Now THAT is a sport.
Within specific parameters, yes. Absolutely, that is the goal. But the crucial point you're overlooking is that the real objective appears to be to maximize the potential of the specific vehicle, not to compare said vehicle to every other existing vehicle that could conceivably be used to perform the task.

I'm not a fan of drag racing as a motorsport, either, but it most definitely is a motorsport. Also, and maybe this is a bit pedantic, but that a sports car is not performing a task you, or anyone really, designates as a "sport," doesn't change that it is a sports car. An NBA player is still an athlete when they're sitting at home watching television 😂

OP
OP
Caleb@PandaMotorworks

Caleb@PandaMotorworks

First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.pandamotorworks.com
Car(s)
Occupation
Agreed. But what's the objective? Your team spent a whole bunch of money on wheels and tires to run a 12 second mile. Then you'll have to spend a bunch more to run a 10 second mile. Juice doesn't seem to be worth the squeeze to me when you can buy a Tesla and run 10 second 1/4 mile over and over and over and over - bone stock. I have no interest in a Tesla or EV, but then again I find going in a straight line terribly boring anyhow. I just found the thread title and YT title to be a bit click baity. You guys basically admitted to running what the mags say it should do which you accomplished under "perfect" conditions AND drag radials.
I think you missed the point that this is the first part an ongoing project. We are building a race car. We aren't just going to leave it stock and run the same times every weekend. This is just the starting point. You have to know what you are starting with to know what improvements are.

Yeah it cost more money, but the experience of building and improving your own vehicle is well worth it. Im sure most of the drag racing community would agree that it is more fun to drive a vehicle you've built yourself, rather than a stock vehicle straight off the lot.

I disagree with the idea that going fast in a straight line is not a sport. It takes skill and practice to do this efficiently and safely, and the competition between cars can be intense. To each their own

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 Evo IX, 2008 RHD Wrangler
Occupation
Mail Carrier
The goal here is to go down a straight line as fast as you can, no?
In a car you want to actually do it in, yes. If you're chasing Z numbers then you're gonna use a Z, not a Tesla.

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.pandamotorworks.com
Car(s)
23 Z Sport, 21 Ford Bronco, 14 Fiesta ST
Occupation
VP, Sales & Marketing Panda Motorworks
We are conducting performance R&D, so we are out getting baseline numbers so we can see exactly how modifications and tuning affect this platform. Is the drag pack overkill on the stock setup? Absolutely. However, we want to observe the changes made from adding performance parts and tuning so by running the drag pack now, we can take the improvements from the tires out of the equation. Whether its your cup of tea or not, this car will be used to help push the platform forward. Unlike a Tesla where the only mods you can do to increase performance are tires and weight reduction. The goal is to compete with similar vehicles, and the fact that a stock Z with a tire kept up with a Hellcat IS impressive, regardless of what press numbers look like.

siggy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A couple
Kitchen is getting hot! Sorry, I just found the title click baity, but that IS how one gets views. Carry on 😃

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
Just a friendly reminder....
The Tesla model that could be compared to a Z is the Model 3 Dual Motor Performance.
IIRC, it actually runs the same trap speed as the new Z 9AT.
I'd even argue that the Z is more engaging, on a track, than a Tesla as it takes real skill to get it to hook up....to me, that qualifies as an interesting "sport".
Furthermore, the Z can be made even faster, a goal many people enjoy pursuing. Generally, there's no room for upgrade in a Tesla.

To get a 10 second Tesla you better be ready to cough up some serious scratch.

I do understand the point about a Tesla, or some other cars, but the new Z is a bonafide tuner car that people enjoy tinkering with.

ec15

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A few
Just a friendly reminder....
The Tesla model that could be compared to a Z is the Model 3 Dual Motor Performance.
IIRC, it actually runs the same trap speed as the new Z 9AT.
I'd even argue that the Z is more engaging, on a track, than a Tesla as it takes real skill to get it to hook up....to me, that qualifies as an interesting "sport".
Furthermore, the Z can be made even faster, a goal many people enjoy pursuing. Generally, there's no room for upgrade in a Tesla.

To get a 10 second Tesla you better be ready to cough up some serious scratch.

I do understand the point about a Tesla, or some other cars, but the new Z is a bonafide tuner car that people enjoy tinkering with.

Most importantly, which would you rather see in your garage?
An egg shaped appliance or a car?

Status
Not open for further replies.