What's in the news today... (NO COVID / POLITICS)

LeatherWings

First Name
Jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA & ND Miata | Xterra | Honda 919 | Honda Grom
One thing I've noticed about car people, is that on these kinds of subjects you'll find about 90%+ of us will agree.

Another thing I noticed about car people, there seems to be fewer and fewer of us as time goes by....
It's not by accident, either....

Em_gq-cXMAIFvEi.jpg

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
It's not by accident, either....

Em_gq-cXMAIFvEi.jpg
It starts with this....

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wir...ds-exploring-creation-digital-dollar-90006698

My wife and I used to live in China. We still own an apartment in Shanghai.
They moved to digital currency a few years ago. In 2019 when we last visited, we tried to buy ice cream for our son, and the ice cream shop wouldn't even accept RMB cash. Can you imagine how shitty we felt? Couldn't buy ice cream for our son....

To get digital currency in China, it's done through your smartphone. Thing is, to own a smartphone in China, it must be registered with the government. That means the government has 2 ways to restrict your access to funds .... either directly limiting your digital account, or more commonly, suspending your smartphone, which happens if you step out of line on social media. Seen Black Mirror? That's not made up.
We were at Shanghai Disneyland and I got busted for borrowing my in-laws smartphone to access Fast Pass.

My wife and I can't easily obtain a smartphone registered with the government because we are no longer regular residents.
Oh, hailing a cab without an app is nearly impossible too.

We must reject that crap in the Western world.

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
It starts with this....

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wir...ds-exploring-creation-digital-dollar-90006698

My wife and I used to live in China. We still own an apartment in Shanghai.
They moved to digital currency a few years ago. In 2019 when we last visited, we tried to buy ice cream for our son, and the ice cream shop wouldn't even accept RMB cash. Can you imagine how shitty we felt? Couldn't buy ice cream for our son....

To get digital currency in China, it's done through your smartphone. Thing is, to own a smartphone in China, it must be registered with the government. That means the government has 2 ways to restrict your access to funds .... either directly limiting your digital account, or more commonly, suspending your smartphone, which happens if you step out of line on social media. Seen Black Mirror? That's not made up.
We were at Shanghai Disneyland and I got busted for borrowing my in-laws smartphone to access Fast Pass.

My wife and I can't easily obtain a smartphone registered with the government because we are no longer regular residents.
Oh, hailing a cab without an app is nearly impossible too.

We must reject that crap in the Western world.
The thing isā€¦so many people just donā€™t see it. More and more banks disappearing, more and more you can only access funds electronically ā€¦and young people ( including my own kids) think this is a good thing. They just donā€™t understand the consequences to this system
Itā€™s not going to end well

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
The thing isā€¦so many people just donā€™t see it. More and more banks disappearing, more and more you can only access funds electronically ā€¦and young people ( including my own kids) think this is a good thing. They just donā€™t understand the consequences to this system
Itā€™s not going to end well
Yup. One person will have the "button to everything"

Houston.RZ34

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
15 Q50 S (3.7) 23 Stingray HTC
Occupation
CIO
Another thing I noticed about car people, there seems to be fewer and fewer of us as time goes by....
We're a dying breed, teens look at "Gassers" as a relic already.

I'm a "wise old sage / big bro" to the younger gearheads in the neighborhood.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
We're a dying breed, teens look at "Gassers" as a relic already.

I'm a "wise old sage / big bro" to the younger gearheads in the neighborhood.
Where I'm from, it seems that the youth think transit is sufficient (it's not, too spread out and terrible schedules) they see their parents working from home, and besides..... they have video games, social media and a full kitchen, who needs a car? Any kind of car?

siggy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A couple
Where I'm from, it seems that the youth think transit is sufficient (it's not, too spread out and terrible schedules) they see their parents working from home, and besides..... they have video games, social media and a full kitchen, who needs a car? Any kind of car?
Yep, driving enthusiasm is dwindling. Who can blame em though?? I remember getting your license as something to look forward to, and I'm not even that old! Now these whipper snappers get their license whenever it's convenient. I'm sure geography plays a factor, too. If you live in a city it really isn't necessary. Heck, if you live IN the city it's probably a burden owning a vehicle.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
Yep, driving enthusiasm is dwindling. Who can blame em though?? I remember getting your license as something to look forward to, and I'm not even that old! Now these whipper snappers get their license whenever it's convenient. I'm sure geography plays a factor, too. If you live in a city it really isn't necessary. Heck, if you live IN the city it's probably a burden owning a vehicle.
Before social media and connected, online games, the only way to get quality time doing what you liked, with your friends, was to meet up in person.
Riding bicycles, skateboards, going to the mall, even playing SNES at someone's house meant getting up and out.
Now they prefer to just logon.

I teach my son that he needs a car, at least to keep his employment options open.
He says "fine, but I think I just want a Prius"
Whatever. I insist that he owns and pays for his own car, it's all about taking on a responsibility. If, when he gets older and established, and wants to go live carless in a big city, that's cool.

I see way to many adult children just chilling at home with no ambition. It's because there's no expectations and responsibilities for them. I don't even want to hear the excuses about modern life being difficult to start off.

siggy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A couple
Before social media and connected, online games, the only way to get quality time doing what you liked, with your friends, was to meet up in person.
Riding bicycles, skateboards, going to the mall, even playing SNES at someone's house meant getting up and out.
Now they prefer to just logon.

I teach my son that he needs a car, at least to keep his employment options open.
He says "fine, but I think I just want a Prius"
Whatever. I insist that he owns and pays for his own car, it's all about taking on a responsibility. If, when he gets older and established, and wants to go live carless in a big city, that's cool.

I see way to many adult children just chilling at home with no ambition. It's because there's no expectations and responsibilities for them. I don't even want to hear the excuses about modern life being difficult to start off.
That's funny on the Prius. At least he's economical! šŸ˜‚ Sometimes I think about getting a Leaf to go to/from work. But I'm only going in two times a week or so and my drive is not that far. But I have free charging at work. Best believe if I was commuting 5-6 times a week I'd have a Leaf in my driveway. And would be damn proud of it! Wouldn't dare park that gem in the garage. It would be out for everyone to admire.