Dealership Collusion???

LCB

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Wrangler 392
Was asking a dealer about a proto-spec listing. Expected some degree of ADM but not nearly 2x MSRP... On top of that the vendor appears to have blatantly admitted to market collusion. Isn't this price fixing?

ADM.jpg

TitanZ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Titan SL 4x4 Midnight Edition
If OEM's try to force the issue with the dealers, then you see them rolling it down the street to a different brand/affiliated dealer as "USED" (with 6 miles on the ODO) for "live market pricing" market adjustment of a similar pie in the sky B.S. price...EFF these guys I don't need a new vehicle, will keep my truck and keep on rollin'.

indio22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'72 Rover S3, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
I can’t believe there isn’t ….and I can’t believe Nissan US is happy to sit back and let it happen
Not much can be done about the initial ADM situation. In the USA big spenders move to the front of lines, it's that type of society.

The key will be how fast Nissan ramps output, and what are Nissan's target production numbers. Those will determine how soon ADMs are reduced/eliminated.

If Nissan ends up lowballing production, then this ADM situation could drag out for a while.

Haste

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Civic Type R, '09 335i, '23 Kona N
You have to really love the Z or have very deep pockets to be willing to pay that for this car. At that price I doubt this would ever be a worthwhile investment if that's what someone ends up going for. Limited, sure, but the Proto Spec is just not all that special.

OP
OP

LCB

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Wrangler 392
As others have said, not really that shocked at the ADM. I'm more concerned about market manipulation. Fairly confident that "getting together with all the other dealerships" and negotiating a price floor would have to violate some kind of legal boundary. It certainly would for any public company. Need a litigator with a passion for Z's and sticking up for the little guy to chime in lol. Anyways, guess I could @ Nissan about it but would probably go nowhere 🤷‍♂️.

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra
Occupation
Engineer
People need to stop buying at these crazy prices. Its screwing up the whole market for everyone else. Dealerships are blatantly taking advantage of it.

It will be the whole housing collapse all over again but in the car segment. So many people are going to be upside down on their loans.

-RJM

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
Was asking a dealer about a proto-spec listing. Expected some degree of ADM but not nearly 2x MSRP... On top of that the vendor appears to have blatantly admitted to market collusion. Isn't this price fixing?

ADM.jpg
Many dealerships are part of a larger corporate conglomerate, and it's usually not clear to the average pleb.
That means they have a certain top-down structure, and dealers in the conglomerate can see any negotiations or prices from there other conglomerate members.
You may think your negotiations at "Davis Nissan" wouldn't be seen when you go to the other end of town and try new negotiations at "Metro Nissan" but when they're part of the same conglomerate, they can see your file.

I guess what you are seeing is them complying with the recent statement from Nissan saying they hope the dealerships remain transparent to foster good customer relations. I mean, that's pretty transparent right there!

Donalex

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1995 Nissan 300ZX
I smell a Class Action Lawsuit...

A naked agreement among competitors to fix prices is almost always illegal, whether prices are specified at a minimum, maximum, or within some range. Illegal price fixing occurs whenever two or more competitors agree to take actions to raise, lower, maintain, or stabilize the price of any product or service.

https://www.ftc.gov/advice-guidance...itrust-laws/dealings-competitors/price-fixing

Donalex

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1995 Nissan 300ZX

TaroBaapG35

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
18' Audi S4, '22 M3 LR
Occupation
Finance Professional
@OP

Post/submit this screenshot and email to a news outlet (Jalopnik) or even Reddit and see how much flack the dealership and specifically the Sales Manager gets over this.