What has your dealer told you about the Z?

FPenvy

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Car(s)
2009 370Z S/T/N 7AT - 2015 GT-R BE
Happy to take the hit for you ... nothing like a brand new car

As to price, my dealer has put an estimate of 80,000 on it, hoping that it will definitely cover what the price point actually is (note he will only charge me what the sticker price is, if it’s much cheaper I won’t have to pay the $80,00)
Keep in mind, I’m in Australia...currently the C8 pre orders are$166,000 on the road. A new Nismo will currently cost you $70,000 and a Supra $87,000

im guessing will come in around $75,000
you make me happy that i dont live in Australia seeing those prices lol but i do know it's only due to exchange rate just crazy to see is all.

i bought my Z 2 years old with 1300 miles on it for way less than what that guy paid. i'm perfectly ok with that.

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
you make me happy that i dont live in Australia seeing those prices lol but i do know it's only due to exchange rate just crazy to see is all.

i bought my Z 2 years old with 1300 miles on it for way less than what that guy paid. i'm perfectly ok with that.
Even with exchange rate we get ripped off....and once a car hits 70,000 there is an extra “luxury car” tax.
if you know what your doing you can import one youself to save some coin, but they don’t make it easy.

FPenvy

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Car(s)
Even with exchange rate we get ripped off....and once a car hits 70,000 there is an extra “luxury car” tax.
if you know what your doing you can import one youself to save some coin, but they don’t make it easy.
damn, that sucks man.

for 70 you can get a real nice GT-R here lol

RicerX

First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Titan Pro4X
From what I've been reading and even what my dealer told me, there are only going to be a couple cars available at each dealership for purchase. Since they don't want to flood the market... lol. I don't know how many people are in the new car market (excluding the youtubers with daddy's cash) considering what's happened in the world recently. So I'm guessing it will probably be just like the C8 with ridiculous dealer markups and sitting on waiting list for 3 years. Hopefully not but from what I'm hearing it ain't good.
That dealer is full of shit on the "flood the market" comment. They have zero control over how many Zs Nissan can produce in light of being cash-strapped and dealing with several supply chain issues as many have already mentioned in this thread.

If Nissan is smart, they know they cannot allow their dealer network to f up the launch of this car. This is the single most important launch Nissan has with respect to brand image in its "The New Nissan" campaign. IIRC, it was either Honda (with the Civic Type R) or Dodge (with the Challenger Hellcat) that penalized dealers who marked up those cars at launch by denying them inventory and maybe even a cash fine. I feel Nissan would be wise to consider a strategy like this to ensure they don't end up with these things sitting on dealer lots for six months or longer. They need to get these things on the road, and they need happy owners spreading the word about the car.

The Z isn't just a singular niche product for Nissan in that it's a car that will sell in the sports car segment, it's a marketing tool that will bring people to dealers to look at Sentras, Rogues, and Frontiers. You're not going to be able to leverage that with these things sitting tucked away in dealer showrooms with a $10k markup.

RicerX

First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Titan Pro4X
damn, that sucks man.

for 70 you can get a real nice GT-R here lol
Where is here? I thought I was in the market for a used GT-R but I can't find anything I'd buy that's less than $85k. My local Audi dealer just recently had a 2012 with 14k on the clock for a whopping $82k. It was stock!

FPenvy

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Car(s)
Where is here? I thought I was in the market for a used GT-R but I can't find anything I'd buy that's less than $85k. My local Audi dealer just recently had a 2012 with 14k on the clock for a whopping $82k. It was stock!
that was to the Aussie guy. but in the US you can find them even with the values being about 5k over the true value. the market is so messed up right now.

i have access to dealer auctions and even there cars are all 3-5k over wholesale.

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
That dealer is full of shit on the "flood the market" comment. They have zero control over how many Zs Nissan can produce in light of being cash-strapped and dealing with several supply chain issues as many have already mentioned in this thread.

If Nissan is smart, they know they cannot allow their dealer network to f up the launch of this car. This is the single most important launch Nissan has with respect to brand image in its "The New Nissan" campaign. IIRC, it was either Honda (with the Civic Type R) or Dodge (with the Challenger Hellcat) that penalized dealers who marked up those cars at launch by denying them inventory and maybe even a cash fine. I feel Nissan would be wise to consider a strategy like this to ensure they don't end up with these things sitting on dealer lots for six months or longer. They need to get these things on the road, and they need happy owners spreading the word about the car.

The Z isn't just a singular niche product for Nissan in that it's a car that will sell in the sports car segment, it's a marketing tool that will bring people to dealers to look at Sentras, Rogues, and Frontiers. You're not going to be able to leverage that with these things sitting tucked away in dealer showrooms with a $10k markup.
Time will tell. All I know is that my dealer is definitely only getting 3 to start with, and then there will be a wait for a few months before they can get more, where we live they are one of the biggest dealers...if not the biggest.
Maybe it’s different to the US, maybe because our market is smaller they will test the waters before manufacturing too many particularly as we drive on the other side here, and the uk is not getting it.....who knows...but we will see

one point I will make Is, the Peugeot RCZ type R, and the Civic the R all had numbers restricted in WA, and when the Supra first came out there was a long wait list for that too...this would not be new for Australia.These cars are also not singular they were also used to draw in buyers for other cars. There is at this point no reason for my dealer to lie, because I had already told him I wanted it before he told me anything ...I was an easy sell

Last edited:

HLS30-49788

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 GT-R, 1997 Nissan pickup
Occupation
Looooong retired
Bought my 1972 Datsun 240Z in 1971 with a $300US deposit, got it in Jan 72. Bought my 2009 Nissan GT-R in March 2008 with a $5000 deposit, and paid ONLY $15,000 over list price of $71,900, but got the first one from my local dealer on 29 August 2008, and it was STILL a great deal. Two of the best bargains I ever got. GT-R sits in my driveway now, waiting to leap into action. I've owned nothing but four Datsun/Nissans since January 1972. [after I sold the Pontiac Firebird I had before the Z that I bought in 1968 when I got back from Vietnam.]

49+ years. I think you can call that "brand loyalty", and it was earned.

Philosophy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
Bought my 1972 Datsun 240Z in 1971 with a $300US deposit, got it in Jan 72. Bought my 2009 Nissan GT-R in March 2008 with a $5000 deposit, and paid ONLY $15,000 over list price of $71,900, but got the first one from my local dealer on 29 August 2008, and it was STILL a great deal. Two of the best bargains I ever got. GT-R sits in my driveway now, waiting to leap into action. I've owned nothing but four Datsun/Nissans since January 1972. [after I sold the Pontiac Firebird I had before the Z that I bought in 1968 when I got back from Vietnam.]

49+ years. I think you can call that "brand loyalty", and it was earned.
Thanks for your service, brother. What branch were you in? My father was also a Vietnam Vet, and he also got a Datsun 240Z but he picked it out of the factory while on R&R in Japan and had it shipped ahead of him. He loved that car.

Bobcat

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Occupation
nurse
The local dealer has low mileage used C8 in which they are asking 109k! only about 500 miles, but still. The also have a couple low mileage 15 and 16's Corvettes in which they are asking over 80k. Crazy prices IMO. They are also asking 83k for a 20 Hellcat widebody and 63k for an 18 standard. I don't know what they are smoking? They also have a low mileage 20 Mustang GT for 47k which isn't quite as bad, but you can get new ones for that or a little less.

Houston.RZ34

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
15 Q50 S (3.7) 23 Stingray HTC
Occupation
CIO
This is why I'm going Z35.
> https://gmauthority.com/blog/2021/06/2021-corvette-production-cut-short/

2020 was already a horrible year for the Corvette (and everyone else) - Production was cut short (to say the least)

A good chunk of the 2020 list got bumped to 2021 and the 2021 folks were bumped to 2022 and orders exploded even more once they hit the streets. All of the 2021 production went to the folks bumped from 2020. Now all the 2022 cars are going to the folks that signed up for 2021, 2023 is full of the 2022 people.

tl;dr C8 are unobtainum and will stay 20-40k over sticker at least until 2024.