Hands Up all the Aussies

jezzza

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ranger Raptor
Occupation
‎‎ Engineer
With the current restrictions most OEM's phase models to markets, rather than the traditional order goes in a queue and gets allocated a build slot.
Interesting, thanks.

Can you please elaborate on the phase models to market approach. Do they build a variety of trims and just spray them out to match orders?

peter

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z, Qashqai
Occupation
Metallurgist
So no one has had a call from the Willy Wonka factory today to tell them they have a golden ticket

Ballast Scorcher

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nissan 300zx z32 Mitsubishi Triton MR
Occupation
Locomotive Driver
Bartons are not issuing updated contracts until allocations are confirmed.

Which dealership are you with?
So reading between the lines, my dealership - in possession of my updated but un-VIN'd contract - may not even have an allocated Proto to offer in order to honour their end of our agreement?

Surely by the act of them clarifying to me that an auto proto is the only thing on offer, they know something more than bloody that.

..or at least I'd bloody hope so.

Reactions: Mud

loudsx

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
66stang, 70galant, 96200SX, 98GS300, 02XR6, 08mini
When I put my order in Early June I was told to expect 12-18 month wait.

so those rumours seem very true.

OP
OP

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
So reading between the lines, my dealership - in possession of my updated but un-VIN'd contract - may not even have an allocated Proto to offer in order to honour their end of our agreement?

Surely by the act of them clarifying to me that an auto proto is the only thing on offer, they know something more than bloody that.

..or at least I'd bloody hope so.
As you know …I’m not a dealer.
But it’s my understanding that Protos have been allocated to dealerships…but they dint have vins yet.
I think you are ok.
It’s those like me who have ordered Coupes and those that have not had calls about protis yet that are in the dark

Your one of the lucky from what I can understand

peter

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z, Qashqai
Occupation
Metallurgist
Communication from Nissan extremely poor, they should have more respect for their future customers.
I've said before I don't mind waiting for a car but I would like some form of communication from Nissan or their dealers, you either tell those that have paid deposits congratulations you have a car and expect delivery in say a month or so and to the others something like sorry due to current delays your car has been delayed until ???.
Customer service is all about keeping the customer informed about their orders Wether that is good or bad news.

OP
OP

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
Communication from Nissan extremely poor, they should have more respect for their future customers.
I've said before I don't mind waiting for a car but I would like some form of communication from Nissan or their dealers, you either tell those that have paid deposits congratulations you have a car and expect delivery in say a month or so and to the others something like sorry due to current delays your car has been delayed until ???.
Customer service is all about keeping the customer informed about their orders Wether that is good or bad news.
Completely agree

morgand

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Bus
Oh dear, what a can of worms.. ha ha ha

To be clear I was responding to the coupe model, if your dealer has rung you and offered you an updated contract on a Proto you are getting one. There are well less proto's than the number of dealerships coming to Australia.

With the performance editions, thats what we get in Oz, there are many more orders than vehicles allocated to Australia in phase or round one delivery. Meaning some will get them in the next little while and other will have a 3-6-9 month wait.

No manufacturer is doing this on purpose, if they could deliver 1500 Z's to Australia tomorrow they would. The reality is cars have become scarce resources, special models even more so.

Generally each market gets their % of global volumes allocated, and put into the build pipeline. They come in batches because of shipping logistics from cities of model production. Australia is a small market, however close to Japan for quicker delivery. So we have pro's and cons...

There are some manufacturer vehicles now with 3 year wait times.... So it could be worse, and it could be better. In hindsight I think Nissan could have been more involved in setting realistic expectations. Though, it really hasn't be that long since the NY launch in relative terms of vehicle to market.... I hate it as much as everyone, however on the bright side if you get one you will be in rare company, which is kinda part of the appeal to me... :)

OP
OP

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
Oh dear, what a can of worms.. ha ha ha

To be clear I was responding to the coupe model, if your dealer has rung you and offered you an updated contract on a Proto you are getting one. There are well less proto's than the number of dealerships coming to Australia.

With the performance editions, thats what we get in Oz, there are many more orders than vehicles allocated to Australia in phase or round one delivery. Meaning some will get them in the next little while and other will have a 3-6-9 month wait.

No manufacturer is doing this on purpose, if they could deliver 1500 Z's to Australia tomorrow they would. The reality is cars have become scarce resources, special models even more so.

Generally each market gets their % of global volumes allocated, and put into the build pipeline. They come in batches because of shipping logistics from cities of model production. Australia is a small market, however close to Japan for quicker delivery. So we have pro's and cons...

There are some manufacturer vehicles now with 3 year wait times.... So it could be worse, and it could be better. In hindsight I think Nissan could have been more involved in setting realistic expectations. Though, it really hasn't be that long since the NY launch in relative terms of vehicle to market.... I hate it as much as everyone, however on the bright side if you get one you will be in rare company, which is kinda part of the appeal to me... :)
Thanks for the insight…appreciated.
As I said for you dealers it must be an absolute nightmare as your the ones dealing with the fall out.

I suppose the only thing that would be good to pass onto Nissan Aus would be, at least could they infirm those who will be in the first lot, second delivery or give customers a loose timeline.
I think it’s the lack of information that is peeing everyone off. As you said there are waits for most new cars, but it’s how the other brands are keeping their clients informed that will be saving their dealers a whole lot of angst

Speaking as someone who has had a 4K deposit down for a year and 3 months, I think at the very least an update is appropriate…I would hope I am in the first delivery given the length of my wait, but if I’m nit I would at least appreciate being told that I’m not

The fact that not one of us who have ordered a coupe have had an unpdate is pretty ordinary to be honest

Last edited:
OP
OP

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
I’ve lost track, was I the only one told to expect a phone call before the 15th July (this Friday)?
From what I know…yes, but it makes sense given the Protos were done last week.
Regardless an update is well and truly overdue