First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 370Z 6MT & 2015 Xterra Pro-4X
No.

It'll still be RWD.

I've heard mass produced VR38 with DCT but that doesn't makes sense to me because anybody that's tried VR38 in Z34 there's not enough room to do it comfortably. We're talking worse than Z32 clearances here.
I'll keep this post and we'll see!

Guy Legend

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
S5 coupe
Thanks for the info.

I'm curious that you mentioned that the 9 speed transmission is also going to Infiniti rwd models? Are you referring to the current Q50 & Q60? Those are due for redesign and I had thought Infiniti may be moving away from rwd based cars in the future.

AHP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKIV Supra, EVO VIII, S2000, LS3 Miata, G37x
Any hope of the Nismo being a manual?

OP
OP
Houston.RZ34

Houston.RZ34

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
15 Q50 S (3.7) 23 Stingray HTC
Occupation
CIO
The current VR38 is hand-built. Hard to imagine they would go through the trouble of building an assembly line just for an engine on one single model. It would drive up the cost of the Nismo too much as well.
I understand but, the VR30 and VR38 are pretty damned similar.

VR30 is short .8L and the turbos are water to air but in the grand scheme of things it's another VQ25 vs VQ37 situation.

OP
OP
Houston.RZ34

Houston.RZ34

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
CIO
Thanks for the info.

I'm curious that you mentioned that the 9 speed transmission is also going to Infiniti rwd models? Are you referring to the current Q50 & Q60? Those are due for redesign and I had thought Infiniti may be moving away from rwd based cars in the future.
Not as much of a redesign as you think, the 400R is selling like hotcakes in Japan.

I wouldn't be surprised if the V38 was really a V37.5 like our Z35 is really more of a Z34.5

OP
OP
Houston.RZ34

Houston.RZ34

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
CIO
Any hope of the Nismo being a manual?
I have 0 concrete info on the Nismo aside from "Not just a bodykit", "Brembos" and "It'll be a baby GT-R"

VR38 and DCT are just guesses on my part based on stuff I heard back in the mid '10s

Nissan is in a lot more trouble than we know. They are going to use as much "Off the shelf" stuff as they can for the performance cars.

Petemo94

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
11 G37 Coupe, 93 300ZX NA Coupe
Occupation
Engineer
Glad it’s called just the Z. I never bought into the 400z. Will this forum name change too ‍♂

But I think us Z-fans, will label the car as a 200Z, 300Z or 400Z depending on options.
Bring on the Z and I’ll wait for the roadster. But I’d prefer t-tops to go with my 93 300 ZX NA

OP
OP
Houston.RZ34

Houston.RZ34

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
CIO
Glad it’s called just the Z. I never bought into the 400z. Will this forum name change too ‍♂

But I think us Z-fans, will label the car as a 200Z, 300Z or 400Z depending on options.
Bring on the Z and I’ll wait for the roadster. But I’d prefer t-tops to go with my 93 300 ZX NA
No t-tops. No roadster (yet anyway)

No 200 or 300, we're only getting the 400hp version of the VR30

ZCCA

First Name
Chris, "Zin"
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
(3) 240z, (1) 280z, (6) 300zx, 350z & 370z NISMOs
Occupation
ZSPEC Design owner, IT Enterprise Architect
@Houston.Z35 - please explain. As I work directly with Nissan on behalf of ~60 Z car clubs you're spreading a lot of information that doesn't gel.

Please advise.

ZCCA

First Name
Chris, "Zin"
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Care to correct anything? Or add on?
Sure, most of what's being shared here is pure speculation by this person (HoustonZ.35).

I'd recommend waiting for "real" news - which will come from reliable sources...like Nissan...or authorized by them through release to respected media outlets...not "carscoops" or "hotcars" style outlets that created the "400z" name misnomer. It'll be from the likes of Road & Track, Car & Driver, Automobile, etc.

I am pretty close to Nissan with my work as director for the Z Car Club Association. I do have an NDA with Nissan on the new Z project, so there are details I know, but cannot disclose.

Andaesthetics

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2014 Nissan 370Z Sport Touring
Sure, most of what's being shared here is pure speculation by this person (HoustonZ.35).

I'd recommend waiting for "real" news - which will come from reliable sources...like Nissan...or authorized by them through release to respected media outlets...not "carscoops" or "hotcars" style outlets that created the "400z" name misnomer. It'll be from the likes of Road & Track, Car & Driver, Automobile, etc.

I am pretty close to Nissan with my work as director for the Z Car Club Association. I do have an NDA with Nissan on the new Z project, so there are details I know, but cannot disclose.
Oh boy here we go. o_O

@Houston.Z35 please elaborate

OP
OP
Houston.RZ34

Houston.RZ34

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
CIO

Hey Chris! How's the Nismo?

Z Club of Cleveland still doing the cruises in the Metroparks?

I can't recall if we chatted at a ZCON or Nismo Fiesta. I'm the guy from The East Side (Fairfax)

Now that you've called BS I think my line is "Oh no, I can't disclose any details because it will compromise my source" (that's how these insider threads work, right? lol)

I could totally be off (thanks for at least confirming the "Not a 400Z" part)

I'm just passing along what I've heard, this isn't the first "insider info" thread on a car forum (won't be the last, I'm sure)

Just take it all with a grain of salt.

ZCCA

First Name
Chris, "Zin"
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Hey Chris! How's the Nismo?

Z Club of Cleveland still doing the cruises in the Metroparks?

I can't recall if we chatted at a ZCON or Nismo Fiesta. I'm the guy from The East Side (Fairfax)

Now that you've called BS I think my line is "Oh no, I can't disclose any details because it will compromise my source" (that's how these insider threads work, right? lol)

I could totally be off (thanks for at least confirming the "Not a 400Z" part)

I'm just passing along what I've heard, this isn't the first "insider info" thread on a car forum (won't be the last, I'm sure)

Just take it all with a grain of salt.
Nissan's confirmed that (wouldn't be the name) by not having ever used the name. "400z" was produced by junk-source media outlet then perpetuated by folks not caring to pay attention to naming conventions.

There are many trying to artificially make names for themselves spreading "what they've heard" - no grain of salt required.