Turbo upgrade/replacement options?

Proto Z

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi SQ7
So I've grenaded my passenger side stock turbo (RHD model, so that would be drivers side for my US friends).
Warranty is not an option, and I was on the E85 path anyway, so I figure I'd look for upgrades.

I've known about the Pure 700's for a while, but was hoping AMS might have a release date for their own offerings sometime soon... but looks like that isn't the case.
Are there any others that people would recommend?

FWIW, I'm not chasing record breaking numbers, but have a personal target of 400kw (535-540hp) that was aiming for eventually. Guess now is as good a time as any!

Reactions: Mud

cainen

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FiestaST, TX3 Turbo, Tiguan R-Line, Proto Z
Storytime about your stock turbo??

OP
OP
Proto Z

Proto Z

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi SQ7
Storytime about your stock turbo??
Eh, not much to say really.
Noticed there was a bit of smoke - put it down to running too rich, but then also noticed a flat spot in the power delivery.

Quick look on hoist picked up that the turbo was covered in oil. It's fairly accessible with the downpipes off, so we were able to have a good look at it without removal - no obvious signs of fin damage, so all signs point to seal/bearing failure.

I haven't confirmed, but I'm pretty confident it was positive crank case pressure. Insufficient oil drainage lead to additional stress on the seal over time (like 200-250km). Noticed catch cans popping up in my feeds... wonder if AMS/Z1/Mishimoto knew something I didn't...