Toyota Presents World Debut of the New 2022 GR 86

V35

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
G35
https://www.carsales.com.au/editorial/details/toyota-gr-86-now-turbocharged-137338/

Toyota GR 86 now turbocharged
But there’s a catch… Hot turbo initially restricted to Toyota GR race cars as testbed for synthetic fuels

Toyota has finally granted enthusiasts’ wish of creating a turbocharged version of the Toyota GR 86 sports car, but there’s a catch – the new powertrain is currently reserved for its racing activities.

Toyota’s motorsport and performance division Gazoo Racing has created a small batch of Toyota GR 86 coupes powered by a 1.6-litre turbocharged three-cylinder (G16E-GTS), which the company says will help with the development of synthetic fuels.

But there are high hopes it will eventually find its way into production models, providing a more explosive alternative to the current 173kW 2.4-litre naturally-aspirated four-cylinder sourced from Subaru.

When asked if the turbocharged engine found in the GR Corolla could slot into the GR 86, Toyota Gazoo Racing’s chief engineer Naoyuki Sakamoto said: “Yes, we are thinking for the future about the possibility of using it, but there are no concrete plans at the moment.

“For now, we’re just using it to develop carbon-neutral fuels.”

Instead of developing the new tech on road, Sakamoto said the turbo-powered GR 86 will race in the Super Taikyu race series held in Japan – the same endurance motorsport that helped develop the latest high-output version of the same G16E engine for the upcoming GR Corolla.

According to Sakamoto, Gazoo Racing believes motorsport is the best proving ground to test its experimental technology to ensure it is robust and durable for customers.

Incredibly, fellow Japanese firm Subaru is also competing in the same race series with its closely-related Subaru BRZ that runs a modified version of the FA24D boxer engine.

Toyota considered using the same engine, but scrapped that idea because it wanted to develop the new technology for a real ‘Toyota’ engine and not one sourced from Subaru.

To ensure it competes on an equal footing, Gazoo Racing have developed a short-stroke version of the Toyota GR Yaris powertrain that reduces the engine capacity from 1.6- to 1.4-litre, although total engine power remains at “more than 300hp (225kW)”.

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
^ wow...4th place out of 5. the new wrx didn't fare much better.
the elantra n sounds like the better car.

therumblewagon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CX-5, Elantra N
Saw my first white GR86 on the highway today, color looks great on it. Then I remembered it has that stupid Subaru engine in it.

I don't care if it eats into the 2.0 Supra sales or not, Toyota really needs to slap in the GRC 3-cylinder in it and offer it already. I'd bolt down to Toyota first thing tomorrow for one.

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
Saw my first white GR86 on the highway today, color looks great on it. Then I remembered it has that stupid Subaru engine in it.

I don't care if it eats into the 2.0 Supra sales or not, Toyota really needs to slap in the GRC 3-cylinder in it and offer it already. I'd bolt down to Toyota first thing tomorrow for one.
We already have a stack selling on “Car Sales” seems every other manufacturer are getting things out.
Nice car, pity the 86 is absolutely everywhere in Aus

BurninateZ

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'92 MR2 Turbo, '19 508 GT, '23 Supra GT Manual
^ wow...4th place out of 5. the new wrx didn't fare much better.
the elantra n sounds like the better car.
I was surprised that it wasn't higher up the list until I realised they ran the automatic 86. 2/5 cars arriving in untestable condition really gives some insight into how hard these cars are being driven.

An 86 with a factory turbo would be a very compelling option. I'd be reconsidering the Z I think.

ZDreamer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Subaru

Anyone know if the 3cylinder still have a balance shaft?

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
the more i watch their vids, the more i want one. ive seen a black and a white 86, but finally saw this blue in person and it is amazing!

Haste

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Civic Type R, '09 335i, '23 Kona N
Damn... I'm not usually a fan of the wide body/bolted on kits, but that looks wicked all murdered out. Completely different animal with the 2JZ 😍