Toyota Presents World Debut of the New 2022 GR 86

not_howard

First Name
Not Howard...
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Only Hotwheels
Oh man... I really like the look of it. I'm going to ask you guys a question that I think I already know the answer to. GR86 or the Z? This will be my first manual sports car and I feel like I wouldn't mind destroying the 86 as much as the Z. I also feel like the 86 will also limit me a little better might not kill myself lol. But I've been looking at the Z for longer and I feel like there's more to play with. Where I live in AZ there's no twisties only highway driving I feel like the 86 would be a downer. I'm real conflicted between the two but I'm more in the Z camp just wish I knew how long I had to wait I'd wait until 2024 if I knew that's how long I had to wait. I'm sure you guys are in the Z camp and everyone else I ask is too so I don't know why asking but thoughts?

Snake

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 F150 Lariat 4x4 5.0, 2009 E93 335i
Occupation
Sales
Oh man... I really like the look of it. I'm going to ask you guys a question that I think I already know the answer to. GR86 or the Z? This will be my first manual sports car and I feel like I wouldn't mind destroying the 86 as much as the Z. I also feel like the 86 will also limit me a little better might not kill myself lol. But I've been looking at the Z for longer and I feel like there's more to play with. Where I live in AZ there's no twisties only highway driving I feel like the 86 would be a downer. I'm real conflicted between the two but I'm more in the Z camp just wish I knew how long I had to wait I'd wait until 2024 if I knew that's how long I had to wait. I'm sure you guys are in the Z camp and everyone else I ask is too so I don't know why asking but thoughts?
I owned a first gen FRS in 2014. Fun car but after a few months it was underwhelming. It handles great but the lack of power is disappointing. Even out here in CA where you can find some nice twisty roads it still left a lot to be desired. I get what you mean, the anticipation for info on the new Z is frustrating. Even started looking at Z32's yesterday haha.

TaroBaapG35

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
18' Audi S4, '22 M3 LR
Occupation
Finance Professional
If Toyota/Subaru have nothing to address the ridculous amount of road noise that comes into the car, then Z no brainer. I owned a 370 and my brother has a BRZ. As much as EVERY SINGLE BRZ/FRS owner says when they buy the car "it doesn't need more power, it handles so well and that's why I bought it", they will still end up wanting to FI the car. My brother used to bash on the weight and heft of the Z vs his BRZ, but each time we tracked it or took it to mountains, and he would get left behind, he started to understand the differences between the dynamics of both car. The BRZ is nice; no doubt the GR86 is going to be nice too, but it depends on what you want in the next car. The Z will be more comfortable, heavier, and alot more powerful/faster out the box then the GR86. Get the GR if you just want handling & the raw sports car feel over everything else. Z is NOT the competitor for the GR, rather the Miata is.

I owned a first gen FRS in 2014. Fun car but after a few months it was underwhelming. It handles great but the lack of power is disappointing. Even out here in CA where you can find some nice twisty roads it still left a lot to be desired. I get what you mean, the anticipation for info on the new Z is frustrating. Even started looking at Z32's yesterday haha.
LOL, I keep catching myself looking for a nice Z34 Nismo or Sport package '2012+ that I can use to cure the itch. The more we see spyshots, camo cars, and these random tidbits of information around, the more anxious and impatient we get. I'm just excited to get back into a manual, especially since summer is here, I'm getting that separation anxiety again. One thing I personally cant wait to do, is benchmark my almost FBO S4 vs the stock Z.

Philosophy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
I currently own an FRS, I've been driving it for about 6 years now. Great little car, looks good, you get to row gears and it's reliable. It also has notional back seats (I wouldn't put my 2yo back there unless it was an emergency let alone an adult) but they fold down and produce enough space that you can lug almost anything you need to around. It's a great daily driver. It's also incredibly slow!

I got the car with full understanding that it wasn't going to be fast. I did plenty of street racing when I was a teen and I got it all out of my system. I am older now and going into a profession that evaluates your character before admission, so I knew I needed to keep my nose clean and getting the FRS essentially removed the temptation. On top of that, I've realized how self-centered and irresponsible street racing is and I wouldn't do it under any circumstances now.

All that said, I miss going fast and feel that I've grown out of the FRS. I want the Z for some other sentimental reasons as well. I'll definitely be holding out for the Z and I'll be taking it to the track when I get it for some responsible fun. I also believe that it's not even close when it comes to aesthetics. The Z is mouth wateringly beautiful.

The GR will undoubtedly be a great little car imo and it makes sense for an entry level.

Another thing to consider- My first street bike was a Ninja 250. One of the best things about it was that I could get on it through every gear and really let into the throttle. The FRS is a lot like that too, I can really drive the car around at high revs while getting up to speed. Once you get more horsepower you don't get to crush the accelerator or experience the higher revs unless you want to be well over the speed limit or are getting onto the highway (or, are on a track). It can be a more fun and fulfilling driving experience to have less horsepower, if that makes sense. You essentially have to worry less about keeping your power in check.

I guess it's all up to exactly what you're looking for in a sports car.

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
It’s going to be a heck of a lot cheaper than the Z ( at least in Australia) that’s for sure...maybe something to think about if no movement on the Z is forthcoming soon

not_howard

First Name
Not Howard...
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Only Hotwheels
Thank you for your opinions guys much appreciated. I think I've decided if by the time I can purchase a GR86 there is still no word from Nissan about the Z, well then I might just pull the trigger on the 86. I mean if by November we still don't know anything... even how long we'll have to continue to wait... I'm not a saint I have no patience lol. I don't care much about speed I just want a car I can connect with if that makes any sense. That's what I always hear about the 86 too is that it feels great just not fast. I think it will be a good car to learn on, and who knows maybe after a couple years I could save up and get the Z later possibly even the Nismo.

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
Thank you for your opinions guys much appreciated. I think I've decided if by the time I can purchase a GR86 there is still no word from Nissan about the Z, well then I might just pull the trigger on the 86. I mean if by November we still don't know anything... even how long we'll have to continue to wait... I'm not a saint I have no patience lol. I don't care much about speed I just want a car I can connect with if that makes any sense. That's what I always hear about the 86 too is that it feels great just not fast. I think it will be a good car to learn on, and who knows maybe after a couple years I could save up and get the Z later possibly even the Nismo.
Yep...Im thinking the same

abm89

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2011 370Z | 2016 WRX
I absolutely love the JDM aftermarket showcase of the new GR 86. Specifically the Trust/Greddy and TOM's versions. The Gazoo Racing time attack car looks SUPER aggressive and awesome, but probably too much for me.

I want to see how well the 2.4L stands up to boost pressure before I entertain the idea of trading my other flat-four in for one.