Toyota GR Corolla

Andaesthetics

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2014 Nissan 370Z Sport Touring
Honestly, I would.

Still holding out for the Z, but I've always been soft for hot hatches, and with the Mk8 Golf R being a disappointment, this could take that spot.
I agree. Depending on the price this could very well be a fantastic buy.
No lie - I think they're going to sell the shit out of these.

I used to have a 2012 Mazdaspeed3 back in the day. This is SERIOUSLY tempting for a fun car. Probably would be pretty decent on fuel if you're not plugging the boost all the time too. I used to get 35MPG in my 3 when I grannied it.

You know the aftermarket is going to flog this thing. It probably isn't a stretch to say a couple thousand bucks would get you to 350-400hp. This would be a fun car I could fit kids and hockey gear in, and that's mighty tempting, especially since this shouldn't cost as much as a Z.

I do think it looks much better than a Civic Type R.
These will absolutely sell crazy. I see a bunch of Mazdaspeed 3s in my areas as well as other "sporty" hatchbacks. And you're definitely right the aftermarket will love this car. A few bolt ons and tune should be easy at 350HP+.
Golf = married middle aged man who still wants to have a bit of fun, however it’s kinda seen as the snobs (richies) cars …it’s not terrible, or granified like the Yaris and the Corolla…but it’s not really viewed as a true sport car, not from where I am anyway.

The Civic Type R on the other hand is an acceptable hot hatch if you must have a hatch, but it’s still not hugely popular
That's crazy because in the US it's quite the opposite. Hot hatchbacks have been one of THE hottest in the car market for the last several years here. Honestly in my area at least I think I see more younger enthusiasts driving VW GTIs/Rs, Focus ST/RS, and Civic Type Rs.

I can absolutely see the majority of customers that buy the GR Corolla being younger enthusiasts.

Blackbeard

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra
Occupation
Mechanic
this could end up like the srt-4 craze lol back then we all had one , if its affordable . i think when i got mine it was about 21k, my gf hated it back then to lol

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
I agree. Depending on the price this could very well be a fantastic buy.

These will absolutely sell crazy. I see a bunch of Mazdaspeed 3s in my areas as well as other "sporty" hatchbacks. And you're definitely right the aftermarket will love this car. A few bolt ons and tune should be easy at 350HP+.

That's crazy because in the US it's quite the opposite. Hot hatchbacks have been one of THE hottest in the car market for the last several years here. Honestly in my area at least I think I see more younger enthusiasts driving VW GTIs/Rs, Focus ST/RS, and Civic Type Rs.

I can absolutely see the majority of customers that buy the GR Corolla being younger enthusiasts.
But you gotta understand the cost of things here

Again twins 32k new

Golf GT 60k new…so of course its not going to be for the younger set in general
Yaris GR 2021 with around 10km on the clock 52k, the GRMN isn’t coming to Aus
Corolla GR is looking to be around 50-55k BEFORE on road costs which could add another 7k ..so about 60k

Civic Type R is expected to come in around 70k in 2022 putting it in line with a Z

so the twins appeal to the younger crowd and those on a tighter budget, and people who like to mod
then your getting into expensive territory…so people start evaluating if it’s worth it. Or if they buy a second hand “real” sports car

I will put a disclaimer in here, I’m in WA…and maybe those on the east coast have a different take…we do do things a little different here, although the pricing above would be similar in all states

DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
Wouldn't be at all surprised to see this car eat much of the upcoming CTR's lunch (assuming the CTR remains wrong wheel drive). Sorely tempted, especially by that launch edition with 2 (count 'em, two) LSDs. Will hang on to see the Z reviews first. (I also plan to test drive a 2022 Miata to see how the handling's improved by its new tech.)

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
No lie - I think they're going to sell the shit out of these.

I used to have a 2012 Mazdaspeed3 back in the day. This is SERIOUSLY tempting for a fun car. Probably would be pretty decent on fuel if you're not plugging the boost all the time too. I used to get 35MPG in my 3 when I grannied it.

You know the aftermarket is going to flog this thing. It probably isn't a stretch to say a couple thousand bucks would get you to 350-400hp. This would be a fun car I could fit kids and hockey gear in, and that's mighty tempting, especially since this shouldn't cost as much as a Z.

I do think it looks much better than a Civic Type R.
We have a Corolla hatchback. You ain't fitting kids and hockey gear in it. It's smaller inside than my Mk7 GTI was, and the Civic hatchback is like a SUV compared to the Corolla. Our Corolla is barely more functional than my Q60 for a family of 3.

And it has a smaller backseat than the sedan, here's what ours looks like with the front seat set for my 5'-11" self:
IMG_20220323_170808297_HDR.jpg

therumblewagon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CX-5, Elantra N
They should release a special edition of the Toyota GR86 and put this engine in it. That would be so desirable.
1648748311725.png

I HAVE to imagine some aftermarket operations are thinking just this, because I wonder if Toyota would since that would be putting it ... over the 2.0 Supra? In terms of power. Obviously different class of car, but might still be seen as brand cannibalization.

Blackbeard

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra
Occupation
Mechanic
i feel like that 3rd exhaust is like oh hit sport mode and itsthe center straight pipe only lol

Jah_Happy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z (Everest White, Performance, 6MT)
I dont care what anyone says, I love hot hatchbacks lol. I had a B series swapped EG civic hatch growing up and absolutely loved the little thing. Add more power + AWD and im interested. Dont think it looks awful either. The Z is a myth at this point so im eyeing other things haha.