First Name
Tuan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
Occupation
Pastry Chef
A few hours after I made the pet rock post I learned that my elderly neighbor had passed. I think we just inherited her 5 year old dog.

19AF0B40-0A6F-499D-9C63-9C3EC36B194B.jpeg

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
A few hours after I made the pet rock post I learned that my elderly neighbor had passed. I think we just inherited her 5 year old dog.

19AF0B40-0A6F-499D-9C63-9C3EC36B194B.jpeg
Heā€™s beautiful, and will be much better company than your rock (although he will cost more)
Having a dog is the best thing in the world, always cheer you up when you are feeling down, and will never let you down.

Iā€™m sorry for the loss of your neighbour, but please do take on the dog, because he will be needing someone to love him, and will be wondering where they have gone.
At least you will be a familiar face for himā€¦and Iā€™m sure you wonā€™t regret it

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
20211116_161034.jpg

so some of you guys may have been aghast when i said we eat our cows. tbh i was joking, so yall can chill šŸ˜‚

we had to buy them to get a tax write-off for our 20 acres of land. we got them as calves about a year ago. at first i didn't think to much about it...they are just livestock, but we have grow to love them lol.

they have their own personalities and idiosyncrasies just like any other pets. some will get jealous if you pet/play with another one, they run sideways & kick their heals and play.

when we first got them we planned to raise & sell calves to offset costs of having them, but now they really are like pets.

to begin with we called them by their ear tag numbers or "ribeye" and "sirloin" etc. then we fell in love and gave them proper Christian names that start with the letter h...

30 - hannah (my favorite)
32 - baby heidi (smallest)
33 - haven
36 - hilga (biggest girl)
50 - harmony
51 - hazel
52 - heather (the meanie)
54 - mama heleana (leader)

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
20211116_161034.jpg

so some of you guys may have been aghast when i said we eat our cows. tbh i was joking, so yall can chill šŸ˜‚

we had to buy them to get a tax write-off for our 20 acres of land. we got them as calves about a year ago. at first i didn't think to much about it...they are just livestock, but we have grow to love them lol.

they have their own personalities and idiosyncrasies just like any other pets. some will get jealous if you pet/play with another one, they run sideways & kick their heals and play.

when we first got them we planned to raise & sell calves to offset costs of having them, but now they really are like pets.

to begin with we called them by their ear tag numbers or "ribeye" and "sirloin" etc. then we fell in love and gave them proper Christian names that start with the letter h...

30 - hannah (my favorite)
32 - baby heidi (smallest)
33 - haven
36 - hilga (biggest girl)
50 - harmony
51 - hazel
52 - heather (the meanie)
54 - mama heleana (leader)
Meat has to come from somewhere ā€¦.if we eat it someone has to breed it.
But Iā€™m glad you have fallen in love with these few

I couldnā€™t be a farmer, heck I couldnā€™t even be a guide dog trainerā€¦to have them for a while and then have to give them up would break me

supra93

First Name
Tuan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
Occupation
Pastry Chef
Heā€™s beautiful, and will be much better company than your rock (although he will cost more)
Having a dog is the best thing in the world, always cheer you up when you are feeling down, and will never let you down.

Iā€™m sorry for the loss of your neighbour, but please do take on the dog, because he will be needing someone to love him, and will be wondering where they have gone.
At least you will be a familiar face for himā€¦and Iā€™m sure you wonā€™t regret it
Thank you, she lived to be 92 and will greatly be missed.

I think we'll keep him. The SO has a special bond with Tigger. The only long-term issues is he might not get along with our other big dogs and he needs to be around someone 24/7 or he'll start getting in stuff that he's not supposed to. Right now he's in his own room.

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
Sorry for the dumb question (city boy here), but do the ear tags hurt them?
not sure...wasn't there when they got them...

Denver the Last Dinosaur

First Name
Denver
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cardboard box
^ It involves punching a hole through their ear, so of course it hurts them, but only briefly ... unless it gets infected or later caught on something like a fence. It's really no different to people who do similar things for silly "fashion", calling it earrings and/or other piercings.

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
I see, do you plan on taking them off, or do they just stay on them forever?
In some countries the ear tags are a legal requirement (cows, sheep, goats, etc.), so they have to stay on. A bit like dog registration tags.
i think they need to be on till they die. the number and the brand can be used to track the animals origins

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
i think they need to be on till they die. the number and the brand can be used to track the animals origins
Itā€™s my understanding ( although Iā€™m no cow expert), that they kind of act like a collar for a dog, so they can be relocated back to the owner if they become lost.
Unlike collars the cows wonā€™t be strangled if they get caught in fencing
I doubt they hurt ā€¦.kinda like an earring on people, it hurts for two seconds when being put in, but then you donā€™t notice them.